Pioneer VSX-924 and 4k HDR

MacTaipan

Hi!
I recently upgraded from a PS4 Pro to a PS5 and a 4k HDR TV (Hisense H7QF). I know that my Pioneer VSX-924 has only HMDI 1.4 and thus cannot passthrough 4k at 60Hz and HDR. So I connected the TV directly to the PS5 and want to route only the audio through the receiver. It works OK via optical SPDIF, but fails when I try via HDMI / ARC. As soon as I connect the receiver to the ARC port of the TV, the PS5 disables HDR and says that the connected HDMI device does not support 4k with HDR. Does the receiver really need to support that, even if it's only supposed to process the audio?
Even disabling CEC and ARC and the receiver and TV doesn't help (although that wouldn' be a solution, of course). Only when I dsconnect the receiver or connect it to a non-ARC port of the TV, I can use 4k with HDR again.
Is this how it's supposed to work? Do I lose anything by only using SPDIF (for 5.1 sound)?
Is there a successor to the VSX-124 that supports HDMI 2.0 or higher? I have been quite satisfied with it so far.

Thank you!

Regards,

Timo

dante01

Distinguished Member
The PS5 should not theoretically be detecting the AV receiver's video capabilities if the console is connected to the TV and passing its audio through using ARC. The console should be using the TV's EDID to determine the video and not the AV receiver's.

I can only suggest that there's a software issue wiyth the console and or the TV that is causing the issue you are having? You should contact both Hisense and Sony and report the issue you are having.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom