Question Pioneer VSX-922 or Onkyo sr-608

Wiktor77

Novice Member
Hello, I recently came upon a pioneer vsx 922 receiver on the used market for only 70$. Right now I have a onkyo sr 608. And of course it has the hdmi problems like no signal and artifacts, that's why I am on a hunt for a new receiver. The question is if it's worth buying it for the price and if the sound quality is better or worse than the onkyo. I listen more to music than watch movies and I use my onkyo with a pair of jamo s606 that are bi-amped. The whole jamo package including the center speaker and surrounds, I think it's jamo s606 hcs 3.

Anyway thanks for helping out. If you want to know more just reply with a question:)

gibbsy

I doubt the Pioneer would sound any better than the Onkyo. Price wise when first released they were roughly the same in the UK. Although I think that passive bi-amping from the same receiver has no real improvement in audio performance I don't know if the Pioneer has bi-amping abilities. Passive bi-amping is just taking power from a single PSU and in doing so you are stealing power from the remaining speakers.

However, for $70 it must be worth a punt even if you can't bi-amp, especially if the Onkyo is on it's last legs.

Wiktor77

Novice Member
I doubt the Pioneer would sound any better than the Onkyo. Price wise when first released they were roughly the same in the UK. Although I think that passive bi-amping from the same receiver has no real improvement in audio performance I don't know if the Pioneer has bi-amping abilities. Passive bi-amping is just taking power from a single PSU and in doing so you are stealing power from the remaining speakers.

However, for $70 it must be worth a punt even if you can't bi-amp, especially if the Onkyo is on it's last legs.
Ok, thanks for replying:) But is that a good price or should I look elsewhere?

gibbsy

I don't follow the used markets but I do have a Denon receiver from that vintage and that's around the ball park price I would be asking. It all depends if it's worth it for you.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom