Pioneer VSX-921: hdmi arc not working as expected

webbrewers

Novice Member
My tv's hdmi arc port is enabled and connected to an hdmi input on the receiver. Hdmi arc is "on" on the receiver. I would expect audio from a dvd player connected via the coax input (no hdmi) would be routed through the receiver to the tv and back out via hdmi arc, so I don't have to change the input on the receiver. I thought that was the point of hdmi arc but maybe I'm wrong.

The manual implies that, but there's a note under the section about connecting a device without hdmi that says you have to select the coax under "signal select". Is that to tell the receiver to route the dvd's audio via hdmi or is that to select the coax input on the receiver?

aalba6675

Novice Member
I don’t think an AVR functions as an optical/HDMI bridge.

For your question the answer is the latter. The AVR is the terminating point for optical audio and it is not going to forward the audio to the TV.

ARC is for TV apps and sources connected directly to the TV.

John7

HDMI CEC (control) is what switches sources automatically (when it works). And for that to happen your input component must be connected to an HDMI input and be able to output CEC control signals.

Your TV should be connected to the dedicated HDMI (ARC) OUTPUT, not to an HDMI Input.

webbrewers

Novice Member
I don’t think an AVR functions as an optical/HDMI bridge.

For your question the answer is the latter. The AVR is the terminating point for optical audio and it is not going to forward the audio to the TV.

ARC is for TV apps and sources connected directly to the TV.
That makes sense. So if I connect the dvd to the tv, arc would handle sending the audio to the avr?

webbrewers

Novice Member
HDMI CEC (control) is what switches sources automatically (when it works). And for that to happen your input component must be connected to an HDMI input and be able to output CEC control signals.

Your TV should be connected to the dedicated HDMI (ARC) OUTPUT, not to an HDMI Input.
Thanks. It's an older avr and though it has arc, there's no indication of that on the hdmi ports.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom