1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-915-S and my Panel...DILEMMA!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jim_Fear, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm trying to help my parents tidy up their AV installation, currently we have a old (ish) Sony DVD player with built in 5.1 AMP, NTL digibox, and an Aver Media TV Box 9 tuner all connected up to a 42" Panel.

Their dilemma is that they want a DVD recorder with a hard drive and want surround sound too, so I though maybe they could pick up an AV receiver with component in and out, connect the DVD player/recorder to the AV receiver via component and use optical between the DVD and AMP for surround, the connect the amp to the display via component too.

The only thing is the ntl box, is it posisble to get a scart to component connection or would i have to use composite?

The AV recevier I have in mind is the Pioneer VSX-915-S and the DVD recorder is the Pioneer DVR-433H-K, does this seem doable? I dont want to spend my parents money to find out it doesn't work :D

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Why would I need one of those? The VSX-915-S has 3 component inputs and one output. Would I not be able to just connect the DVD player to one and the NTL box to another, the connect the component out to the component in on the plasma?

Attached Files:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    NTL puts out RGB scart, not component. It won't work without an active converter.

5. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ah, so i'd need the converter or to output composite? The converter is £145, looks like it'll have to be composite unless I can convince them otherwise.

Would I be right in thinking that I would only need to connect the AV receiver to the plasma via component and nothing else? And that if i had to use composite for the NTL box it would run it through the component connection?

I've never had to delve this far into an AV system before so i'm fairly clueless :thumbsup: