Pioneer VSX 915 "overload" problems

addyb

Distinguished Member
Hi all, i wondered if someone can help me with the problem ive started to get with my AV receiver.

Ok well the problem is that when i turn the volume up to a certain level the amp will display an "overload" message and then cut out totally. If i turn it on and dont alter the volume it will cut out again pretty much straight away but if i turn the volume down a couple of notches it doesnt cut out again. Problem is that at times the volume seems a little too low for watching tv, films and playing music, but when i turn it up to a decent level it just cuts out within a couple of mins!!

I have checked the manual and the website with no success and no details on this "overload" message. I have my 360, projector audio, dvd and sky box attached to the receiver and its also at the top of my av rack with nothing covering it so i dont think overheating is an issue as its never done it before!!

Im really at wits end with it as i have checked speaker cabling and checked the mains power connection, disconnected my sub etc but still it says "overload" when the volume goes above a certain amount. Yesterday i even went through the setup again of my speakers etc and whilst initially it seemed to work and i had a good level of sound but 5 mins later it just cut off again.

Any ideas or has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance!

Stung

Disconnect all the speaker connections from the back of the amp and turn it on. If it doesn't display overload, then it looks like you might have a problem with one of your speakers. If it does, then you have a problem with the amp.
To isolate the speaker with the problem, connect the speakers one at a time and switch on the amp. You're testing one speaker at a time here. If this doesn't show any symptoms, then try connecting one at a time but don't remove the previous speaker. So, you're adding a speaker to your amp each time.

By the way, is this a new setup or an existing one and it has just started playing up.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Disconnect all the speaker connections from the back of the amp and turn it on. If it doesn't display overload, then it looks like you might have a problem with one of your speakers. If it does, then you have a problem with the amp.
To isolate the speaker with the problem, connect the speakers one at a time and switch on the amp. You're testing one speaker at a time here. If this doesn't show any symptoms, then try connecting one at a time but don't remove the previous speaker. So, you're adding a speaker to your amp each time.

By the way, is this a new setup or an existing one and it has just started playing up.

Thanks for the reply mate!!

I will disconnect my speakers later and try them one by one and see if that sorts it!!. And its a setup ive had for over a year now and it started doing it on and off a few mths ago but that was a rarity so i never bothered. Maybe my GF has knocked a speaker over at some point and knocked something loose, hopefully that is!!

So basically the common cause for it to "overload" is due to a dodgy connection? Would i be right in saying this?

addyb

Distinguished Member
Well i disconnected all my speakers and ramped my av receiver right up and it didnt cut out so im guessing its a bad connection somewhere. Im working from home today so havent had chance to try each individual speaker yet but will rewire it all up later on and see if i can find the culprit!!

I could do with sorting out the cabling behind my av rack anyway as its a right mess!!

Stung

So basically the common cause for it to "overload" is due to a dodgy connection? Would i be right in saying this?

Generally speaking, yes, it can be caused bad wiring or when the speakers impedance is too low (damaged speaker coil perhaps?).

I'm glad to hear the amp didn't cut out without any speakers connected to it. That doesn't mean that the amp is in the clear yet tho as it wasn't loaded. Lets see what happens when you connect the speakers back one by one.

Let us know how you get on.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Generally speaking, yes, it can be caused bad wiring or when the speakers impedance is too low (damaged speaker coil perhaps?).

I'm glad to hear the amp didn't cut out without any speakers connected to it. That doesn't mean that the amp is in the clear yet tho as it wasn't loaded. Lets see what happens when you connect the speakers back one by one.

Let us know how you get on.

Well i connected the speakers up one by one but as i was doing this i noticed some tape had come away from one of my speaker extension cables and the wires for positive/negative were touching each other so i retaped them up and tested my av receiver with each speaker at seriously high volumes and hurrah everything appears to be fine.... i banged my sub volume right up as well and nothing has cut out so far!!

Hopefully thats sorted it. My only guess is that the avrack has been moved at some point and disturbed the wiring!!

Thanks for your help mate!

Tom_1234

Standard Member
Could i ask. Is this amp good? i am going to be buying one off a friend soon and i just wanted to know if it was a good amplifer :)

Thanks

tvdavid

I was also looking at this one which was going for £100 but I went for the VSX 817 which was just £20 more and brand new.

chip_nz

Standard Member
I'm sorry to dig up this old thread...but this problem is happening to me at the moment. I have seen the advice and will try i but was just wondering...does it matter at all if you are disconnecting the speakers from the amp end or can you remove the cable from the back of the speakers?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers

addyb

Distinguished Member
I dont have this av receiver anymore but originally found the problem to be with some faulty wiring. Thats what was giving me the overload msg.
I checked all my speaker wire and one part of was frayed so i sorted that out and problem solved.

tjhilder

could it have anything to do with having bass on high? I found mine went into overload mode when I had mine on really loud (i was testing them out to extreme levels :D) considering they're connected to a pair of 150w speakers on a 100w x7 channel amp I think that could have had something to do with why mine went into overload :D

dannypipes9

Novice Member
I have the. Pioneer vsx-d711. And all of a Sudden I'm getting an error message of "overload" a few seconds after turning unit on. After reading this thread i tried disconnecting everything from the back and powered back on and i always get the. "Overload" message. I opened it up and checked all fuses and as far as I can tell everything looks good besides a bunch of dust. Can anyone offer me any Insight that could point me in the right direction to solving this problem? Any input is appreciated thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom