1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-915 - bass problems?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RedHotRuss, Sep 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. RedHotRuss

RedHotRuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off, I want to make it clear I am not an audiophile, sound engineer, or particularly knowledgeable about AV equipment, but I am concerned that I have either bought some equipment that is not capable, it is broken, or that I have mis-configured it. (Fingers crossed for that latter).

After 7 years I decided to replace my Sherwood Newcastle (model number?). This amp has done me well, and was the only affordable (£400) AC3 receiver at the time of purchase. So, I replaced the Sherwood with the 915 because I was particularly attracted to MCACC feature at this price. (When using my old amp I would often spend half the film modifying settings rather than enjoying the film.)

So, first impressions were good – the MCACC feature was not only interesting to set up, but appeared to work well, but then I noticed when running through some test scenes on films such as Sky Captain, Spiderman 2 and an old R1 copy of Godzilla that the lower frequencies were absent. My old amp had no such problems, so my current speakers are not the problem. After reading the manual about 10 times, and wasting endless hours playing about I decided I would get a sub. I really didn’t want one (more clutter and I had been satisfied previously with the lower frequencies on my old amp) but I went out and got one of these (nothing too special):

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MISS-AS6E
    Richer let me take it on trial, fortunately, so I can decide if to keep it later.

BUT, yes, it does beef up the very low frequencies, but there still appears to be a big hole somewhere in the sound, and I am still not satisfied, despite all this expense. So, I currently have that ‘I was better off before and I could have had a few good nights out at the pub with the money’ type feeling at the moment.

Sorry about the lack of technical info and my ambling post, but I am just curious if I am alone on this one? I am not sure where to go with this now.

Thanks in advance,

-Russ

2. spawn5552000

spawn5552000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just brought*? one of these babys but it hasnt arrived yet,

Hmm, according to a review i read somewhere, one of the "What" magasine reviews i think?? anyway, according to this review the sound of the 915 is a little "bright" sounding, now, i dont really know what that means but could have somthing to do with it, also there is a manual adjustment for a 5 band equaliser*? on each channel apparantly, also check the speaker settings E.g. are they set to Large, Medium or Small, like you can on the sherwood amps (i had one) the MCACC may have set the front speaker size to small or medium?

Just a few ideas, i dont actually have the Amp yet so i may be talking absolute cods, but if one amp is anything like the next there are usualy simlar settings on them all.

3. RedHotRuss

RedHotRuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the follow up.

I have changed the speaker size settings when they have been detected incorrectly, and I have experimented with every permutation of speaker sizes in the set up anyway, so that is not the answer.

Please let me know your experience when yours arrives, because I too have read reviews of it being 'bright' - but what the hell does that mean?

Does anyone have an opinion on that sub I purchased too, because I was told to run it in for 30 hours, but this is never going to happen before my trial period expires. So far, I think it is adequate for my needs, but I would be interested in opinions all the same.

Cheers,

-Russ

4. spawn5552000

spawn5552000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my 915 still aint come, apparantley they are in "high demand".
    In my eyes high demand is usually a good thing, means the item is popular, and popular items are normally good, which makes them popular :S ... anyway, im a bit of an impatiant person and wating for this is just killing me, so much so that im mutilating old cables to bodge old speakers up to my shiney new projector, witch i dont really want to do, but cant have TV with no sound...

I was just wondering if you have any further news on the bass problem, i have another sudjestion if it isnt any better, but this isnt changeing any settings on the equipment,

It could actually be your room acoustics that are calsing your problem.
    do the following to check.

• turn off sub'
      play some bassy music on a resonable volume
    now, walk around the room and stand in all corners and everywhere possible, you should notice a change in the depth of the bass reproduction depending on the area of the room you are in. try positioning your speakers in a place where the bass sounds better to you.
    if this dont help, then im out of ideas, sorry, ill let you know when i get mine set up.

Mark