Pioneer VSX-521-k with powered monitors?

acsahm

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just purchased this receiver on black friday for a great deal (140)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117398

My roommate has a pair of M-Audio Bx8a Studiophile POWERED monitor speakers.

Now I know that I need to hook these up to PRE OUT outputs on the on the receiver.

The Pioneer only has PRE OUT for the "SURR BACK/FRONT HEIGHT" speakers (the other speaker connections are all powered, which are useless to me). It looks like there are also a few other RCA outputs (blu-ray out, etc...)

MY QUESTION IS THIS:

Will it be possible to configure this receiver to just do normal 2.0 sound using the above pre out (or any other RCA outputs on this receiver)? I have not been able to go over the manual since the item has not arrived yet, and I am not very knowledgable about home audio. My worry is that the pre out is only for surround/front height speakers, so I dont know if I will be able to use that PRE OUT as the sole output.

To reiterate, I want to use this receiver with 2 powered monitors, without any other speakers. Is this possible?

Thank you so much for any help!!!:thumbsup:

I just purchased this receiver on black friday for a great deal (140)
To reiterate, I want to use [a Pioneer VSX-521] receiver with 2 powered monitors, without any other speakers. Is this possible?
Short answer: No, it is not possible. This specific receiver has been designed so as not to support this configuration.

Long answer: You could use a speaker to line level attenuator to convert a speaker level output to a line level output. Information here. A suitable product could be this adapter, but you'd need to test, as it's actally targetted at automative applications where the problem is common, rather than for domestic hifi, where a-priori checking permits avoidance.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom