Pioneer VSX-2021 Owners Thread

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Could not find an owners thread post for the new Pioneer VSX-2021 so I thought I'd start the thread going..

Any news/reviews/updates/1st hand thoughts yet on the pioneer vsx 2021?

I finally connect VSX-2021 up yesterday afternoon, this is how I have connected it up (the settings I have not touched yet) feel free to correct me if something is not right:

Speaker connections:

Tannoy Mercury F4 Floorstanders - front left/right
Tannoy Mercury FC Centre - centre
Tannoy Mercury F1s - surround left/right
Tannoy Mercury FRs - surround back left/right
Epos ELS Active Sub - subwoofer 1

TV, Blu ray, Sat receiver;

The receiver is connected to TV:
'Control out 1' on the receiver to 'HDMi 2 (ARC)' on the Samsung LE40C750 3D TV using standard HDMi cable

The Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D Blu Ray player is connected to the 'BD IN' on the receiver using a 3D HDMi cable via the 'HDMi Main AV Out' on the player

The Dreambox 8000 Satellite Receiver is connected to 'In 1' via a DVi to HDMi cable

Is everything connected up correctly??

The speakers are all set to small, is this correct also, even though the fronts are Floorstanders??

Anything else I should check/change or make sure on??

Thanks in advance,

This might get moved to the manufacturers specific forum that noone goes to mate. Need one for the VSX-LX55 as well as both of these came out at the same time with the higher end models due out in September.

Hi
Connected VSX-2021, over the weekend, had a few problems with the wireless connection, but nearly sorted.

Now shows correct settings, and can find my home network, but when I check for update, after showing accessing for a while, it comes up with Network Error.

Secondly, although mu IPOD now shows AirPlay, and it connects OK, I'm getting no sound from the receiver.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I have had this reciever for about 2 weeks now. I have not explored the AirPlay options yet as I am not an Ipod owner.
I am in correspondance with Pioneer UK support at the moment because this reciever will not play FLAC files over my DNLA network. It will see the files but there is no 'music note' next to the FLAC files so it does not see them as a playable format? I will be sending my reciever back if Pioneer cannot resolve this issue. It plays every other format and will play the FLAC files if I decode them back to WAV, but I bought this reciever on the strength of it's FLAC compatability so I am less than inpressed at the moment.
If anyone else else can play FLAC files with this unit please let me know?
Cheers for now,
Noggin.

Heh,

Dazed and confuse

I could not use the 'check for update' after installing the AVNavigator on a Windows 7 64bit laptop. The web page used by the Navigator kept flashing but going nowhere. Pioneer advised me to turn off all Firewall software. I tried this but still had no joy. I installed the CDRom on a Windows XP 32 bit instead and it worked but my Commodo Firewall came up with shed loads of security warnings which I had to accept to get past the 'update' stage. FYI there is no update available yet but the software supplied is a pain in the arse.
Cheers,
Noggin.

Hey guys,

There are not many owners of the 2021 so my apologies for posting this question in more than 1 2021 thread, however as they are fragmented, I thought this would be the best way to get any advice.

Can anyone shed any light on enabling thr midnight mode on this amp?

According to the website it has the following.

DRC
ALC
THX Loudness Plus

and "Midnight Mode" and for the life of me I can't find it anywhere?

Can anyone help me view my movies peacefully at night :laugh: I've searched the PDF manual and even that makes no mention of any midnight mode, yet it's plastered all over the online specs?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

I too am looking for the midnight mode or 'DRC'

I too am looking for the midnight mode or 'DRC'

Hi,

DRC is in the Audio Parameters section, just hit the "Audio Parameters" button on the remote and keep pressing it until you see "DRC" then choose between AUTO/MAX/MID/OFF.

ALC is in the Surround Modes section, just hit the surround modes button on the remote until ALC is shown.

Thx Loudness Plus is in the On screen menu and can only be accessed from there. It's under system settings and then speaker settings/thx I think.

"Midnight mode" is no where to be seen and it seems no one actually knows were it is or how to access it along with "loudness" option.

If I find it I'll post it here, if you do please let me know :)

Just bought one of these to replace my ageing yamaha, Ive got it hooked up but not set up properly yet. Anyone got any hints and tips?

I dont know about sound quality yet, but the video output is a huge step up from what I was looking at before. Im impressed so far, it was between this and the Onkyo 809 and im glad I went for this

Got myself one last week, so far so good, still trying to find my way round few things, otherwise it sounds better than my old vsx-ax4as
Gerry

Hi, first time poster here too, thought I'd join up after lurking for years to add a bit of support to this owners thread!

The 2021 is my first av amp so nothing to compare it with from before, but *I have it connected to kef 3005 'egg' speakers with wireless sub and it sounds like a dream.

Current inputs are Xbox, sky hd, htpc and ps3, and they're all functioning as I'd expect. It took me a while to figure out how to get sky hd picture over HDMI and audio over optical but got it working in the end.

I also have pioneers iPad app but I find it very flaky - great when it works but I seem to lose connectivity about every 30 mins and the app can no longer detect the 2021.

Anyway, to sum up I'm very impressed so far!

Hi, first time poster here too, thought I'd join up after lurking for years to add a bit of support to this owners thread!

The 2021 is my first av amp so nothing to compare it with from before, but *I have it connected to kef 3005 'egg' speakers with wireless sub and it sounds like a dream.

Current inputs are Xbox, sky hd, htpc and ps3, and they're all functioning as I'd expect. It took me a while to figure out how to get sky hd picture over HDMI and audio over optical but got it working in the end.

I also have pioneers iPad app but I find it very flaky - great when it works but I seem to lose connectivity about every 30 mins and the app can no longer detect the 2021.

Anyway, to sum up I'm very impressed so far!
Hi - mind sharing how you managed to get sky hd and audio over optical playing together - I feel like I have tried everything and I can't get it to work - luckily I have an old sky HD+ box with component outputs so can use that but I would like to up-grade to the 1TB sky+hd box if I can work out how to get HDMI+Optical working together.

Cheers

Hi - mind sharing how you managed to get sky hd and audio over optical playing together - I feel like I have tried everything and I can't get it to work - luckily I have an old sky HD+ box with component outputs so can use that but I would like to up-grade to the 1TB sky+hd box if I can work out how to get HDMI+Optical working together.

Cheers

Yeah, no worries. So after setting up the Sky HD box as one of the inputs in Settings with one of the HDMI inputs for video and one of the Opt inputs for audio, whenever I switched back to Sky I always found that HDMI audio seemed to take precedence over the optical audio. I knew the optical audio was working as when I pulled the HDMI cable, I saw that the sound became Dolby Digital. When I plugged the HDMI back in, it went back to the HDMI stereo.

Anyway, the solution to this is to press RECEIVER and then use the SIGNAL SEL (4) button when Sky HD is displayed on the TV, and that cycles through the audio inputs. Stop on Dobly Digital and from then on it should stick to that setting. Sounds easy but that frustrated me for over an hour!

Hi all,

Bought a VSX-2021 two weeks ago and experienceing a strange problem with it. Currently I am using the receiver with stereo speakers only (we will move to a new house soon and then I will invest in a surround sound speaker system). I used AV navigator for setup of the 2 speakers.

The problem is that after listening to music from let's say the tuner or Internet radio, when I power down the receiver and power up again there is no sound from the speakers. When I look in the iControlAV2 app I can see the two configured speakers being greyed out.

This problem can be solved only by power cycles until the receiver starts producing music again....... If it does the iControlAV app shows the active speakers again (in blue).

Do I miss a specific setting to overcome this issue?

Thanks, Guido.

3 problems

my 2021 has taken a turn for the worst today. I've had it for about 3 weeks...

it's suddenly stopped accepting signals over HDMI. blu-ray and playstation don;t deliver sound or audio anymore. On top of that the amp has stopped outputing a signal to the TV as well. I've tried another screen and tried all combinations of my hdmi leads with no luck.

when I go into the 'home menu' of the amp there's no display on the TV. it's just not sending out a signal (although the hdmi input on the TV is not greyed out - so it can see there's something there it's just not displaying a picture. I've tried all hdmi inputs on the tv as well.

audio is working fine. I'm listening to internet radio now and the optical cable from my TV to the amp is still working as normal.

as far as I can see I've tested every variable and it's falling down to the amp. The amp is in an activly cooled cabinet and is very well looked after, and pretty much brand new.

tracks are missing from home media gallery.
I've recently converted all of my apple losless files to flacs, all of which show up int he correct folders and play fine, they're never in the correct order - but that's my fault.

recently I've set about re-ripping every CD with EAC and have them in a seperate folder (I have 3 folders of music - one for apple, one for flac, and one for flacs from EAC) THe strange thing is that only random tracks are showing up within each folder / album. sometimes it's only the first 3 tracks; sometimes it's the first 6, then maybe number 8 as well. they're sitting there ont he server - I can see them on my PC and laptop but the amp just doesn;t see them. I downloaded a flac / EAC album (which I genuinly do own) to see if it did the same and it does.

Can anyone shed any light on this? the HMG is the biggest reason I went for this amp!

Is anyone else using banana plugs going into the speaker terminals on the amp? my two fronts use nordost cables with banana plugs and the rest use bare wires. the bare wires all feel secure, but the terminals with the banana plugs in feel terribly loose. It;s as if they need a bit of cable in there to bite onto in order to stiffen up. what's this all about?!

the control app is very good, but like most I'm having problems with it. If my ipod and android phone are both ont he wirelesss there's a fight between the two of which one can connect - and usually the result is neither until I turn the wifi off on one device. I understand why you can only have one device connected at a time - but if I see that damn error message asking me to select a device one more time I think I'll go mad. I get it every time I unlock my phone to use the app and have to wait ages for it to connect again - very annoying. It seems better on the ipod though.

does anyone know how on earth I can get the A/V to sync properly between my PS3, amp and telly? I try to use my blu-ray player as much as possible but that has problems all of it's own so sometimes I have to use the PS3 (more on this later!) I'm hyper sensitive to audio which is even slightly out of sync with the picture - My lass doens't care but I just cannot watch it! I've been through every menu I can see and cannot find a way to solve it, and I'm confused as to where it should be solved anyway. I presume it would be with the source as that's the easiest place to output a delayed picture, or delayed sound to combat the syncing issues.

Noggin:
you may want to look at your files again as mine is playing flacs fine (see above though as I am having problems!) generally all of the files I've converted from apple lossless to flac using DB poweramp are working fine, where as the ones I've ripped fresh with EAC are not so fine - some display and some don't... but the ones that do display work flawlessly. the error may be on your part here.

Can you switch Hdmi inputs when receiver is standby ?

Hi all.
Thought I would update you with the problems I have been having. I arrangedvto take it back to sevenoaks today which gave me a few days this week to try and figure out the problem or at least confirm that it was broken.

Since it still was not working I dropped it off and called back an hour later only to be told that it was working fine. I was very surprised by this. After getting it home and wiring everything back up, same cables between the same devices and everything and it is indeed working with no problems. I'm fully expecting it to fail again so will keep an eye out.

The home media gallery is seeing full albums and songs since I added a netgear stora nasty box to my system... its a bit basic but is perfect for now.

And analog out

Certainly don`t think so...

- beefier amps
- Marvell 1080p video scaler
- THX certified
- Optimum Surround, Virtual Depth, refined video adjustments according to the type of monitor (PDP, LCD...)
- Full Band Phase Control
- overall larger
- aluminum front fascia
- 3,8 Kg heavier

it`s a pretty step-up device from VSX-1021...

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I also have one of these AMPS which I bought to replace my All-In-one-setup and HDMI switch. So I'm also intending on replacing the majoroty of my existing surround speakers

I currently have two great current front DynAudio Contour 1.1 although I daftly didn't relaise that these were 4 Ohm - Der! my excuse is that I bought them over ten years ago now. I'm concerned that they might overload AMP which is rated as minimum of 6 Ohm.

So does anyone drive 4 Ohm speakers using this amp?

I'm unsure whether to keep these as my existing front and buy better quality rears, centre and sub or replace the lot with a new surround setup (and possibly sell the DynAdios)

So, what speakers setups are people using? I have a budget of <£1500 excluding speakers connects. I would appreciate some input and recommendations. Currently looking at getting DALI ZENSOR 5 5.1 Speakers package? Although also like the idea of the DALI ZENSOR 7 5.1 package (although these have a stated impedance of 5 Ohm so back to the original issue!) Any thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

I play a mix of music, games and TV, but mainly TV sports and movies.

Many Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I also have one of these AMPS which I bought to replace my All-In-one-setup and HDMI switch. So I'm also intending on replacing the majoroty of my existing surround speakers

I currently have two great current front DynAudio Contour 1.1 although I daftly didn't relaise that these were 4 Ohm - Der! my excuse is that I bought them over ten years ago now. I'm concerned that they might overload AMP which is rated as minimum of 6 Ohm.

So does anyone drive 4 Ohm speakers using this amp?

I'm unsure whether to keep these as my existing front and buy better quality rears, centre and sub or replace the lot with a new surround setup (and possibly sell the DynAdios)

So, what speakers setups are people using? I have a budget of <£1500 excluding speakers connects. I would appreciate some input and recommendations. Currently looking at getting DALI ZENSOR 5 5.1 Speakers package? Although also like the idea of the DALI ZENSOR 7 5.1 package (although these have a stated impedance of 5 Ohm so back to the original issue!) Any thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

I play a mix of music, games and TV, but mainly TV sports and movies.

Many Thanks for any input.

I´d say try to stick to 6 Ohm minimum with the Pioneer...
- Monitor Audio Silver 5.1
- AE Radiance 2 5.1

For what its worth, I contacted pioneer to ask about 4 ohm speakers and they said it would not do it. Ill cmget the exact reply when I get home.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom