1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX 2011 vs. Denon 3803 - help please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fulham Phil, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both pretty much the same price now and, although the mags seems to like the Pioneer, dealers are telling me that the video upsampling and digital audio delay function in the Denon make it more future proof should I go for Plasma later (currently CRT). Ilike the idea of the auto set-up with the microphone in the Pioneer but am stuck as to which one to buy. Yes - I'll audition both but can anyone help on the useless features vs must haves argument of these two receivers?

Also, on DVD, am considering the Pioneer 656 and the Denon 2800.2 and 2900. I know they're at different price points, but what's the general consensus on these three?

Life was so much easier when I bought my "Naim everything" stereo set-up!!!

2. thewall

thewall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same situation as you. Looking at both the Pioneer and the Denon. Ended up getting the Pioneer. I just really loved the microphone setup. I could never have gotten the Denon perfectly setup as I have with the Pioneer. I actually quite liked both receivers but the mic setup was the thing for me. Just recently upgraded with a new dvd. Got the denon 2900 and could not be happier. If you have a lot of things to hookup I think the videoconversion on the 3803 is a good thing. I didn't really need it for my setup though.

3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask yourself if you are going to buy a plasma in the next 12 months? If so (as I am), then wait, prices will drop and the audio sync function on the Denon may prove to be essential.;)

4. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much soul searching, have ordered the Pioneer which I'll be picking up on Saturday. Got it from Creative Audio in Shrewsbury, who are doing a great packaged deal on either the Pioneer or the Denon with the new Kef Eggs. I'll post an update on the shop when I've actually been there but so far there service has been second to none, including answering e-mails at gone 10pm!

Check out their website at creative-audio.co.uk if anyone's interested in the deals. The only downer is that you have to go collect the Kefs, but for a £400 total saving I figured it was worth it.

Vanity prevails and so I'm probably going to plump for the Pioneer 656 amp because it matches the amp and as my 18 month old TV (Tosh Picture Frame) doesn't have prog scan, so the 757 and Denon 2900 are a little overengineered for my needs.

Given the outlay, I hope it's all I'm expecting!