1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX 2011 substitute

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kennydies, Feb 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had my eye on the pioneer for a while and just had my bonus and was going to take the plunge and purchase one.

After reading one of the forums about waiting list and the recall, I would like a viable substitute for the same price as I am impatient and have a need to buy one now.

Can anyone give my a few recomendations to look into?

Thanks

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The obvious candidates are -

Denon 3803 or 3802 (which are now heavily discounted)

Marantz SR7300 - some report problems but high bang for buck

NAD T752

Sony STR-VA333/STR-VA555

YAMAHA DSP-AZ2

Arcam AVR200

I think there are numerous threads on all of these amps. Incidentally I'm waiting for a Pioneer 2011 - I'm not sure about the recall - isn't it just a rumour?

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Denon 3802/3, Marantz SR7300, Sony 555ES/333ES.

[Edit] damn you dazed! :p

4. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the new NAD T762. I have heard the machine and
    sounds extremely good both on music and Theater. The Amp is inline with all the processing formats and have a 6 channel amp inbuilt!

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen it in combination with the NAD T562 DVD player, which is both PAL/NTSC PS?

I am getting quite interested in this NAD as it had some superb reviews on normal stereo beating the Denons over and over....

Regards,

Jean-paul

6. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wait a week or two and buy the pioneer! MCACC rules!!

Otherwise go to the Denon 3803, always a good bet!

7. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the t 531 DVD player, (its a modified LG Player tuned for music first and Picture). I have partnered this Player with an AV T571 Model. The performance is great. The Nad AMP is built like a tank. It Wieghs at about 17 KG for only 5 built in Amps which says somthing for the transformer. The limitations are few, Processing modes DD,DTS, Prologic, Stereo and EARS. 3 S-video ins and 2 out plus 5 composite in are catered for the video ins and out. The rest is great, with 5.1 channel in and 5.1 out etc.The money have been spent into the built in AMPS and the design construction. When reviewed it was the only AMp within the test that had a built in FAN and could be connected to 4 OHMS speakers load at the price range being tested!
    The Amplification and processing is very clean and can be compared to higher priced AV recievers, the wattage given by the manufacturer is given 70W with all 5 channels driven all together, were other manufaceter only rate 2 AMPS driven together and surely goes down to redicously rating with all channels driven. I could assure you that it doesn't have any built in costruction probs or software and mine never gets hot but stays cool all the time while being pushed hard, other AMPS have decoding Drop outs, software problems, updates, Heat generation Etc.

So the T762 trails on the same path of the other models but with more processing and more video connections. If you look at the nad web site, you will surely find info. regarding the specifications! The T761 one model can be found now on discounted prices as it have been discontinued but does not have the processing power of the T762.

I haven't seen the T562 into action, but it have component out with progressive scan set on NTSC material. While the scart outputs RGB out, and tuned for music and HDCD decoding!

I surely recommand NAD hardware as the Hardware is well built, reliable and simple to use!

8. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait for the Pioneer. Mine is now all set up and although my Pioneer VSX-E06 was excellant, the VSX-D2011 is truly awesome:clap:

9. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a home theater newbie, this is my first attempt on Home theater. I just got my Pioneer D2011. I have a question for those that have this receiver. Can you insert a banana plug in the speaker connection of the receiver. I cannot insert the banana plug for the D2011. However, in the 45TX (USA) model user manual, it says you can insert a banana plug but the D2011 manual does not say so.

The reason I'm asking is because I would like to bi-wire my speakers. Thanks for your help.

10. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can use banana plugs. You need to use a small bladed screwdriver to remove the small black inserts in the binding posts.

11. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    avdesign,
    Thanks for the quick reply. The pioneer dealer here in Dhahran are of no help at all. I bought a B&W speaker from bahrain where I can unscrew the speaker binding posts to take out the plastic plug. The d2011 binding posts cannot be unscrewed. Does your suggestion means I have to basically bore through that plastic plug using the bladed screw driver or something similar?

Now if I cannot do it, or perhaps decide not to use a banana plug. Can I just twist the two wires together and insert them on top of the binding post. Will that be OK as well?

Thanks for the advice.

12. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    As a more than happy 2011 owner, I can only echo the sentiments of those who say wait.

I've had mine for several months now and, matched with B&W CDM 1NTs, a CDM CNT and Velodyne CHT-15, I can only say it's amazing for both movies and music. The auto set-up is a dream and makes life so easy.

No problesm with shutdowns or anything like that.

Hang in there

13. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone is using banana plugs on the 2011?????

14. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using banana plugs on all the binding posts.You simply lever the black inserts out with a small screwdriver.

15. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wait for the Pioneer, it is simply an astonishing product for both AV and music - it easily surpasses my previous amp (Denon A1D) in both AV and music.

I mainly use the second zone to drive Castle Harlech S2s in direct mode and the additional bass extension, and control the Pioneer provides is stunning. The sub bass now renders my Rel Strata redundant on music.

I wasn't bothered about the tuner (in fact I would have preferred just an amp) but again this far exceeds all standalone tuners I've owned over the years by vitue of superb depth, clarity, atmosphere and scale.

Finally, the remote control is also exceptonally easy to use unlike the fiddly Denon.

16. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have to decide between this excellent receiver and the Denon 3803.

I'm waiting for the 3803 because it is being mated to a Panny plasma and if I ultimately decide to use an iscan, the lip sync will start to be a problem.

The 3803 has master audio delay and the added bonus of video upconverting (some problems reported in the US especially with composite - but I intend not to use composite). The Pio has an easy set-up (MACC or something like that). But I reckon this will not be used too often so I can live without it.

Problem with the 3803 is Denon UK - they are taking an age to get a product to market that has been out in the US and Germany (surely the UK market is bigger than Germany?) - so have not auditioned it yet.