Pioneer VSX-1131 Owners Thread

This is what I did but no, subwoofer is still on in Stereo. Same to Direct or Pure Direct.
If I unplug subwoofer from amp there is still no low freq on front speakers. I must switch off it manually in amp setting menu.

Question about the internet radio. When I press the NET button I have to either select the station from favourites or select "region, country, etc. etc." Is it possible to make the receiver play the last played station ? - so when I press NET it just starts playing ? Its tedious to press all the buttons every time and navigating on the small receiver screen. I tested the same on an Yamaha receiver and it automatically plays the last played station.

Thanks in advance.

OK.. wish this dam thread would wake up ...so slow for av forums...

I was thinking the same, have 7.1 height then 2 atmos, but this amp cant do that... but not 7.1 height and atmos as it then becomes 5.1.2 with height.

Id go for the pioneer if it were me but my atmos sounds good with a 7.1 front height formation...

I dont see the the point unless it celing speakers.

Thanks for the clarification. I am reading gread reviews for the ELAC Debut series amd the also the UNIFI. How would the VSX-1131 fairs with 4-Ohms speakers?

Note that i don't think you can physically set the amp to atmos.
Instead, the amp detects an atmos signal and automatically switches configuration.
As soon as a movie in atmos starts to play, you can hear the amp switch over to atmos.
It will also display "atmos" on the amp's screen.

Set the amp's speaker setting to "7.1/5.2.2" and it will do the rest for you.

Sorry to quote a relatively old post but by Sunday I'll be a new owner of this AVR. I'm moving from an old Onkyo 7.1 to this mostly for the increase in HDMI options but also to dip my toes into Atmos/DTS X. Reading the quoted post, would I be correct in assuming I could connect my 7.1 speakers as is and add a couple of Atmos heights, the amp then doing the decoding and switching from 7.1 to 5.1.2 accordingly? If so, when switching to Atmos, which surround speakers become inactive?
Thanks for the help.

Does the 1131 upscale video files less than 1080 to 1080 .
or is the upscale function just 1080 to 4k. The sony dn860 upscales all video files

Sorry to quote a relatively old post but by Sunday I'll be a new owner of this AVR. I'm moving from an old Onkyo 7.1 to this mostly for the increase in HDMI options but also to dip my toes into Atmos/DTS X. Reading the quoted post, would I be correct in assuming I could connect my 7.1 speakers as is and add a couple of Atmos heights, the amp then doing the decoding and switching from 7.1 to 5.1.2 accordingly? If so, when switching to Atmos, which surround speakers become inactive?
Thanks for the help.

Same as me.....BUT

Its not a 9.1 amp is 7.1
so...
You either have 7.1 running or 5.1.2 atmos
It wont do dolby PL11z height

basically either 7.1 with rear surrounds tradional 7.1 its called or 5.1.2 where a normal 5.1 set up is used and the front heights are the dolby atmos .2 bit.. obv that can be adjusted to where the atmos is but ur idea wont work.
amp sounds sick upscaling 2.0 stereo to pseudo atmos and dts x.. trust me

Does the 1131 upscale video files less than 1080 to 1080 .
or is the upscale function just 1080 to 4k. The sony dn860 upscales all video files
only 1080 is upscaled to 4k...
if you got a 4k tv leave that setting off and let the tv upscale unless your tv is el cheapo

Same as me.....BUT

Its not a 9.1 amp is 7.1
so...
You either have 7.1 running or 5.1.2 atmos
It wont do dolby PL11z height

basically either 7.1 with rear surrounds tradional 7.1 its called or 5.1.2 where a normal 5.1 set up is used and the front heights are the dolby atmos .2 bit.. obv that can be adjusted to where the atmos is but ur idea wont work.
amp sounds sick upscaling 2.0 stereo to pseudo atmos and dts x.. trust me
Thanks, still a bit confused. I understand it's either 7.1 or 5.1.2, but there are connections for all front, centre, surround, surround back and height. Can I not have all connected and the amp decided whether it is 7.1 or 5.1.2 depending on the source material?

Right....there are 9 connection pairs on back...so you cud have normal 7.1 rear set up then connect atmos to the heights

then either have it on

7.1 OR

5.1.2 where the atmos speakers will kick in.

Right....there are 9 connection pairs on back...so you cud have normal 7.1 rear set up then connect atmos to the heights

then either have it on

7.1 OR

5.1.2 where the atmos speakers will kick in.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping.

u may have to swtich configuration in menu not 100% as Im not at home 4 a week but if ur gettin it tday, any questions ask I got my head around this amp now...its sounds great ,,,just dont expect miracles with cheap speakers!

Well, spent all day yesterday removing my Onkyo and hooking up the VSX-1131.
Found the initial set-up a bit pointless other than the MCCACC or whatever it's called. Lovely finally having all my HDMI's connected to one AVR. Only had time to watch one film (Trainspotting) and enjoyed. A couple of things though, there seemed to be a couple of spells where the image juddered slightly and one lipsync issue at the same time. Now this could be down to this being my first disc using the multi-region mod on my Oppo UDP-203, or is it possible the 4k upscaling on the AVR could introduce this? I had the Oppo on source direct at the time so it would have been the Pioneer doing the upscaling. Also, on that subject, what's the super-resolution thing all about? best left at zero?

And one other thing, just before I called it a night, I switched the Pioneer on again and got a "thermal error" which turned it off again. This was gone this morning. There is plenty of room around it for ventilation, any ideas?

Well, spent all day yesterday removing my Onkyo and hooking up the VSX-1131.
Found the initial set-up a bit pointless other than the MCCACC or whatever it's called. Lovely finally having all my HDMI's connected to one AVR. Only had time to watch one film (Trainspotting) and enjoyed. A couple of things though, there seemed to be a couple of spells where the image juddered slightly and one lipsync issue at the same time. Now this could be down to this being my first disc using the multi-region mod on my Oppo UDP-203, or is it possible the 4k upscaling on the AVR could introduce this? I had the Oppo on source direct at the time so it would have been the Pioneer doing the upscaling. Also, on that subject, what's the super-resolution thing all about? best left at zero?

I manually set each speaker instead of the mccacc but that took time...
Image judder never here at all...cant be the amp that will judder ..either tv or source..guess its the mod ...that is common...if tv is 4k...leave the 4k upscaling off let the tv upscale...
super res is just how sharp you want it...either put it on 1 or 0 but me...I leave the whole 4k off and let the tv upscale...
Thermal error....that maybe to do with all the fiddling with it when its on...it should not do that again if ventilated..if it does.thats not right but 1nce at start nothing major

also check out normal 5.1 being upscaled into atmos...select dolby surr or even dtx neural.

I manually set each speaker instead of the mccacc but that took time...
Image judder never here at all...cant be the amp that will judder ..either tv or source..guess its the mod ...that is common...if tv is 4k...leave the 4k upscaling off let the tv upscale...
super res is just how sharp you want it...either put it on 1 or 0 but me...I leave the whole 4k off and let the tv upscale...
Thermal error....that maybe to do with all the fiddling with it when its on...it should not do that again if ventilated..if it does.thats not right but 1nce at start nothing major

also check out normal 5.1 being upscaled into atmos...select dolby surr or even dtx neural.

Thanks, there was a lot of fiddling :D

And one other thing, just before I called it a night, I switched the Pioneer on again and got a "thermal error" which turned it off again. This was gone this morning. There is plenty of room around it for ventilation, any ideas?

Personally I would keep an eye on thermal error, should not be doing this on a well ventilated amp. For me if it did it more than once I would get a replacement.

As to 4k scaling, yes leave it off. The TV will do a far better job, especially if it is a Sony with X1 engine.

Personally I would keep an eye on thermal error, should not be doing this on a well ventilated amp. For me if it did it more than once I would get a replacement.

As to 4k scaling, yes leave it off. The TV will do a far better job, especially if it is a Sony with X1 engine.
Happening all the time now, unit isn't even warm to the touch. Waiting for a response from Peter Tyson now but I expect an exchange will be necessary.

reset the unit....
turn off all connected devices....then after reset...turn all back on...if ventilation is legit after that an it does it again...something wrong with that 1...but try that b4 returning

reset the unit....
turn off all connected devices....then after reset...turn all back on...if ventilation is legit after that an it does it again...something wrong with that 1...but try that b4 returning
I've been trying to find how to do a hard reset, no luck. Any clues?

Peter Tyson sending a replacement tomorrow, fingers crossed.

think its turn it on...hold home menu on the amp and on off button.....
try the manual if that doesnt work.
also u shud get 3 year cover from peter tyson

think its turn it on...hold home menu on the amp and on off button.....
try the manual if that doesnt work.
also u shud get 3 year cover from peter tyson

Thanks, I'll try that this evening but still going to box up for the replacement.
Even if the reset fixed it I wouldn't be confident in the unit not to fail again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom