Pioneer VSX-1020K vs 'One box system'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TKDPhil, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TKDPhil

TKDPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Relative begginer here. After searching through the forums I've not come across a thread that answers my question.

Basically I'm interested it setting up a starter 5.1 system, not to bothered about 3D just interested in HD sound.

I've seen a couple of offers in local stores for the Onkyo HTS5405 and Pioneer HTP 201 for around the £350 mark, which I was initially interested in.

However I have recently seen an offer for a new Pioneer VSX-1020 for around £270 (seems to be a decent price?)

So my question is, should I go for the ease of a one box solution such as the HTS5405 or is it worth me spending a bit extra and looking into the VSX-1020 and a seperate speaker package?

General advice would be much appriciated.

2. TKDPhil

TKDPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    I think it very much depends of your own expectations, and what equipment you have now...

I started with a set of logitech Z550s, I remember clearly the first time I plugged into my Xbox, I was completely amazed at how much better it sounded compared to my TVs own speakers and loved it....12 months down the line I upgraded to a Cambridge Audio 340R and a set of 5.1 speakers from Harman Kardon, I remember listening to some music on it and thinking how much better it sounds compared to the Logitech system. These days when I want to enjoy some good quality music I fire up my Denon 4311 which are hooked up to some M&S floor standers, which again makes my previous set up sound weak and over boomy. When we move house next I fully intend to kit out the AV room with a separate power amp, and use the Denon as a pre-amp, which will no doubt be a improvement on my current set up.

Essentially theres always something better around the corner, but if your happy with how it sounds than thats the most important thing. But be warned once you start playing around with AV equipment you quickly loss track of how much money your throwing away :laugh: I've given the logitech system to my parents because I now simply cannot stand how boomy it sounds, and I find my Cambridge Audio setup is just about tolerable for watching the news on etc:p Or may be its all just a excuse my brain comes up with so that I can justify spending even more £££ :rotfl:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. TKDPhil

TKDPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the quick reply. I agree completely with what you're saying. I think its a question of popping down to Richer Sounds and having a listen to a few different setups.

Thanks again.