Pioneer VSX 1016 HDMI Output Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KDarr, Aug 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. KDarr

KDarr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the Pioneer VSX 1016 last week, but cant seem to get the HDMI output to work. Can someone help?

I have connected my Sky+ box and DVD player to the 1016 via S-VHS leads. I am using a component RGB output from the 1016 to my LCD monitor, which is working fine. However, I have connected the 1016 to my InFocus SP500 projector using an HDMI lead from the receivers sole HDMI output. The projector is not detecting any signal. I tried connecting the 1016 directly to my LCD monitor using the hdmi output, that did not detect any signal either.

I have have tried setting the Up Converter to ON and OFF, neither seems to work. Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong or is it the case that my HDMI output is screwed?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    does that unit convert from s-video up to HDMI? or just from component?...that could be why....sadly i dont have any personal experience with that unit, if no ones answered by the time i get home tonight i'll try and remember to have a mooch around the PDF manual if i can find one online....

if you have your manual available have a look to see if it says you can or cannot upconvert from s-video :)

3. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I believe Knight_Byte is right. You will only get HDMI out if you have HDMI going in to at least one of the HDMI inputs and have set it to route that input to the output. Also note that this unit just passes HDMI audio through, it doesn't decode it.

regards

Brian

4. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    This is correct the 1016 does not have a Video analogue to digital converter and so the S-Video inputs cannot be output over HDMI, upconverting is only over Component on this unit, which explains why it is working on the TV fine.

5. KDarr

KDarr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input, guys. Since posting my original message I have had a response back from Pioneer confirming what you have told me. Apparently all the HDMI models up from the 1016 in the Pioneer range do have video upscaling. The 1016 is the only HDMI switching amp they do which does not upscale. Just means I will have to buy a HD ready DVD player and Sky HD. Does anyone know if you can get a Sky HD box cheaper than the £299 Sky are selling it for?

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    depends, if you are out of contract you might get a discount by telling them you will leave for NTL/Telewest if they are available in your area......but i doubt it....they still taking orders for the HD box altho they can now supply demand, but it means they have no real incentive to discount....more likely you'll just end up with a discount on the subscription...but hey, its all good if it happens..lol