1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-1014TX considered high current?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ZIGW, Dec 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm a newbie to the forum and to DVD based surround sound. I just ordered a VSX-1014TX-K based on the recommendations here, but I am concerned about it being able to drive my main speakers (Paradigm 11se MkII). They are rated nominal 6 Ohms, min 4 Ohms although I have heard they dip to about 3.2 Ohms in the upper bass. My previous receiver was a Yamaha RX-V1050, (which shows how behind I am with the times, as this AVR was Dolby Pro Logic only). The Yammy had no problems driving these speakers to decent levels but will the PIO be able to without a lot of distortion or shutting down? The Yammy is rated at 110W RMS into 8 Ohms, 20-20KHz/135W into 6 Ohms on the front and center channels, and weighs ~41 lbs. I don't see a power rating for 6 Ohms in the 1014 manual and although there is a setting for 6 Ohms, it does say that 8 Ohm speakers are recommended. Anyone out there driving ~6 Ohm speakers with the 1014? Should I cancel the order and get a "high-current" brand like HK? I like my Paradigms.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

I haven't heard the Pioneer 1014, but looking at their website, they quote 150W DIN into 6 ohms. Click here

I personally think you could do with a more heavyweight amp, or you could just buy a power-amp as an add-on?

3. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar,

Thanks. I see that they do give 6 Ohm power numbers in the European manual, but only for stereo mode and that is with 230V AC. We are 120V here in Canada, so wouldn't that increase the power supply current requirements?

I'm currently using the system in a fairly small living room (18x12ft), so do you still think I need more power? I'm also using Paradigm Atoms for surrounds and a Paradigm CC-330 for the center. The Atoms are 8 Ohms nominal, 4 Ohms min while the CC-330 is 6 Ohms nominal, 4 Ohms min. I have no sub (yet), as I've been happy with the bass response from the 11se MkII's. I use the system for 75% movies/25% music.

4. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1014 will have NO problems with the 11se at all. It's the best receiver under 1800 Euros according to Areadvd.

5. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best AVR for under 1800 Euros? You're kidding!? That would be $2970 CDN. What is the street price in Euros? I paid $500 CDN (plus 15% tax), so it sounds like I got an amazing deal! Sounds too good to be true.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    $500 canadian is a BARGAIN!!!! Works out to about £260!!!!!! It retails for £600 in the UK!!!!! It's a cracking movie amp, but not the best for under 1800 euros. Always take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt .

There are a few better amps, but they do cost more. It's one of the best, and for the price you got it for, it is an absolute steal!!!

Shouldn't have any problems driving your speakers, a power amp would improve things further, especially with stereo music, but as it stands, it may not be worth the extra cost as your music ratio is 25%.

7. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MSRP is $799 CDN which is only £341. Here's a link to it on the Canadian Pioneer website: Link

I'm wondering if it's the same unit.

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, I think that these are the same units. The price diff may be becasue of two reasons: firstly, We in the UK normally pay a whole heap more for kit. Secondly, I think in Canada and the US, there is a higher spec range called Pioneer Elite which may mean that the same model over there is positioned lower down the price range. In either case, the Pioneer should work well. Also your old Yamaha may be heavier due to passive cooling using large heat sinks. The Pioneer will probably use a fan, and so wont need large heatsinks, saving weight

Just some thoughts.

Russell

9. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt it has a fan. I don't see one in the rear view pictures. Pioneer recommends having at least 20cm(!) of clearance above the unit for ventilation, which I think means it uses passive cooling. I will either need to install an exhaust fan in my entertainment unit or drill some holes in the top, as it only has about 12cm of clearance to the top and the shelves are not adjustable.

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The pioneer does use a fan. One of the error codes that can show on the front display of the receiver is "Fan Stop" (p.73 of manual). Manufacturers normally state very high clearences for their products to cover themselves, legally, incase something does go wrong. 120mm should be enough if,there is somewhere forthe hot air to "go" once it has hit the shelf above (i.e. they aren't in a closed cupboard or something. Either that, or put the pioneer on the top shelf?

Russell

PS: The UK manual actually reccomends 600mm of ventilation!

11. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, the "FAN STOP" error message is not listed in the U.S. VSX-1014TX manual, but I do see it in the VSX-1014/VSX-2014i manual. There is an "OVERHEAT" message, but no mention of a fan. Looks like either the European version of the 1014 is indeed different internally, or the fan is in the 2014i but not the 1014?

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    CAD$575 is an abolsute bargain, I wonder whether importing is easy enough :D

13. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AC input on the U.S. version is fixed at 120v/60Hz.

14. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after about a month on back-order, I finally received my 1014 this week. I'd like to say "Thanks!" to all that recommended it. So far, I've only tried it in direct stereo mode, but it's better than I had hoped. It has absolutely no problems driving my 6 Ohm Paradigms to ear-splitting levels without any distortion or strain (I've had it up to +3 on the volume), and the sound is great. This machine really is a bargain. The amp easily outperforms my 41 lb Yamaha RXV-1050 which cost me twice as much in 1993 dollars! I can't wait to get my surround speakers hooked up and calibrated.

I do have a question about Toslink. I have a Sony ES series CD player, circa 1991. The digital output is optical only. Will it work with the 1014? I'd like to compare the Sony's DACs to the Pioneer's, but am wondering if such an old machine is compatible.

Thanks again!

15. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The Sony CD player should work fine via Toslink - it outputs a standard 44.1KHz PCM signal.

16. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MagicBoy,

Thanks. My 1014 does work with my old Sony ES CD player via Toslink, but there is a loud glitch whenever I skip to the next song, so I'm sticking with the analog outputs. I didn't notice much difference between the Sony and Pioneer DACs. The Sony may have been slightly brighter.

17. ZIGW

ZIGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if an internal fan can be easily retro-fitted to a U.S. model 1014? I haven't seen an OVERHEAT message, but my 1014 gets hotter than I'd like (much hotter than may Yamaha 1050 ever got), and I'm concerned about longevity. I suppose I could always install an external fan into my cabinet, and power it via the switched AC outlet on the back of the 1014, but it would be neat if I could install one internally, especially if it's "plug & play".

Thanx.

18. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    P2G offer an importing servive via a US address, see their homepage.

Mike.