1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Vsx 1014 Wow !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by abnett26247, Jan 20, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only my own opinion but the pioneer vsx 1014 we demd today blows the flavor of the month denon 3805 away , for power and clarity and it just goes to show you should have a dem , TRY BEFORE YOU BUY i its so true .

2. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds good! What gear was it demo'd with?

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is mate...the Denon isn't the flavour of the month...read the thread entitled "Denon 3805 - a dissapointment" for more info...

4. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IT is with most puplications pal read on and find out!

5. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MONITOR AUDIO SILVER 5/1 rel sub though, some denon dvd player,did not note the model but the guy who demod the two receivers told us the pioneer is some thing else and a lot prefere it when he demos receivers it is so clear and powerfull, in my opinion a must hear , my brother has bought it today.

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't read av publications...would be like a policeman watrching The Bill...you can see what your reading, but just can't quite belive it...if you see what I mean...(I'm a home cinema installer by trade BTW...hence the comparison to the Policeman watcjing The Bill...) :rolleyes: :offtopic: :boring:

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The 1014 is indeed a cracking amp, did you get to hear any music with it?

8. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it was ok no different to the denon we thought ,sort of ok the speakers were in your face rather bright , i was sorry to hear from the sales person they no longer keep for dem " Marantz " he could get them but dont recomend them , was not his favorite brand too dull and bland his comments, (SEVENOAKS), yes the pioneer was better than the Denon we thought cant wait to try my marantz 7400 when i can understand what in 7/1 to put on the back thats whats bothering me for surround music ie dolby llX cd sky,and also cinima effects ABNETT.

9. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one else heard of this brand ONKYO IS IT ? :boring: :boring: :boring:

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry - at what point did I insult you or your Pioneer amp...? :confused:

11. ScottG

ScottG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There does seem to be a bit of unfair Denon bashing going on recently, I'd say its more flavour of the month to knock the brand myself!

As for a VSX1014 blowing it away, I must say I have my reservations, having had a VSAX5i for a year and now having a 3805, I'd say these two are very evenly matched on most things.

I think its very easy to be impressed with a demo of a Pioneer, their IN YOUR FACE sound is very 'showy' but not so easy to live with longer term, Denons do tend to have a more grown up refined sound, thats perhaps less obviously impressive on a short demo.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I personally think the Denon backlash is to do with the fact that some publications rave on about Denon to the point where it drives everyone nuts! :) They are good amps, but not the very best money can buy, I don't believe ANY brand has that cache.

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed - to us, it's down to personal taste...to the reviewers, it's probably down to revenue. Personally, IMO, I think 5 years ago, Denon had the niche...these days it's to close to call.

14. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NOT AN INSULT TO YOU OR THE BRAND BUT I REPEAT ONKYO WHO HAS HEARD OR USES THEM IVE VISITED LOTS OF SHOPS TO FIND MY RECEIVER AND THE ONKYO HAS NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO ME OR MENTIONED :thumbsup: :thumbsdow

15. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DENON 3805 !I DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL DULL OR UNCLEAR SOUNDING , BUT OIMHO , Surpised myself that i did not like the denon 3805 after all the good reviews , One guy here uses Onkyo but ive never seen or been offerd to hear this brand at all the many shops ive visited ..

16. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No need to shout :lesson:

Onkyo does not have a distributor in the UK, as far as I am aware. That is why there is no hardware in the shops.

However, that doesn't mean it's rubbish. In fact, I think a few forum members that are highly regarded can offer unbiased opinions on Onkyo.

Some of them may even be able to supply ;)

17. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Yeah, who cares about Onkyo ? I guess if you have never heard of them they must be rubbish, right ? And I'm sure if someone were to offer you this AV reciever for free you'd tell 'em to shove it, right ?

Mike.

18. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The fact that you've never heard of a particular brand is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. An individual person is NEVER representative of the audiophile or AV community at large, hence the arrogance attached to your comments are extremely puzzling. You've probably never heard of any of the professional audiophile products out there (as opposed to consumer-oriented products) - this does not mean they're non-existent nor rubbish. Those forum members who have been here for a long time will tell you that Onkyo has indeed been mentioned here and elsewhere on more than a few occasions. Collective opinion from a well-informed and experienced community always carries more significance and weight than that of an individual without those traits.

reservoir51

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Onkyo has some quality gear, it is a pity that they are not as well publicised here.

They are easily on a par with the leading brands (Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Arcam, Rotel), and in some cases, surpassing them.

I think abnett is questioning the reasoning behind the lack of market presence of Onkyo in the UK rather than rubbishing the brand.

20. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you're right, Kazman. But I for one, perhaps being a tad cynical, detect a sense of 'upmanship' from certain comments made by a certain individual, probably in response to comments he didn't agree with. When that happens, it's a sad reflection of a lack of courtesy, mutual respect and forum etiquette.

Apologies for digressing from the topic.

reservoir51

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I think the fault has to be down to their distributors, they are blo*dy hard amps to find & demo!

22. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes if i have hurt onkyo man sorry, there there, but if you cant try you wont buy , and if you are not shown you wont own, so thats true mostly and sad. but to say i was insulting the guy and the product is nonsense. imho of course abnett.

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who mentioned Onkyo in the first place...:confused: I just agreed that Denon was overrated, that's all...:rolleyes:
    what do I know - I only install the things for a living...Pioneer & Denon included...

- with all due respect mate, with my background, it's going to take a little more than a man(?) who shouts from behind a keyboard to hurt me... ;) And it's FAMILY GUY, not Onkyo Man...you're the one who started the Onkyo chatter here my friend...not me. You insulted my signature, you insulted my equipment and you have cheesed a few people off here by your attitude.

Time to wind one's neck in I think...before one puts one foot in it...

For what it's worth, The Pioneer is a decent sounding amp, yes...if paired to meaty speakers. IMO, it's not a patch on the Yamaha 1500...

24. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO id ask to demo it first if possible seems the right answer. right ? :hiya:

25. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Family Guy

Couldn't have put it better myself :) Tis a sad sad state of affairs.

One question however that it indirectly pertinent - I stated a while ago I wanted to change my Amp, now I'm in a position to do so and I quite like the look of the Onkyo 702E (hope that's right?) - but where to find one? Any clues? Av-Land has only one Onkyo amp featured and searches on the net failed miserably. Any advice ?

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Times like this the "add to your ignore list" come in useful...:boring:

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whereabouts in the country are you...?

28. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Sunny Kent - Sevenoaks HiFi used to sell Onkyo - but used to isn't much use now !!!

29. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You could try giving AV LAnd a call directly too, they may be able to source the amp for you through their supplier as well, they offer a great service, I've bought from them many times and they have been very accomodating in trying to source models not on their pricelists.

30. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silly have you nothing to install today? no yamaha didnt like that seemed low on power and not very smooth a bit in your face you know the type (of receiver that is ) sorry family man if your upset but no insult ment its all imho, chill out ONK ONK YO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.