1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSA-AX10i Do you own one of these

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve k, Mar 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If you own one of these amps what speakers are you using with it.

Also when I read some of the threads they say that the amp sounds bright i don't understand what they mean by that do they mean it produces alot of treble can someone please explane what they mean :confused:

2. pcotton

pcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one on order from Joe at TMF along with a set of VM1's and an AS1.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If only I did own one!!! Demo'd one a week or two ago though - with the 757ai DVD and Jamo D7 7.2 speaker package (the only THX Ultra II speaker pack in the UK at the moment) and all I can say is WOW!

Didn't sound overly bright to me but that may be down to speakers.....

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I don't really care ... but isn't running an £800 set of speakers off a £3000 amp a little unbalanced ... especially when the £800 speakers are lifestyle speakers.

I would put money down that you wouldn't notice (in terms of sound quality) much difference between the AX10i and a Marantz SR5300 with those speakers.

Back to the original question ... the AX10i deserves good quality speakers ... B&W N805s, possibly CDM series for floorstanders, KEF Reference series, M&K, most THX certified stuff, etc would a better match.

Vikki

5. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running Mission 782s for fronts, a B&W603lcr for the centre, Mission 750s for the rear left and right and a ruark dialogue one for rear centre. With a velodyne cht-10 sub. My room is a converted garage 16ft by 13ft approx. Obviously I used to have the Dialogue One as the centre... but liked the more earthy sound of the B&W when I moved to the garage. It actually gives a really clear and balanced sound. In fact the VSA AX10i has amazing clarity compared to my old Sony amp.

6. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    B&W VM1's and the AS1 Subwoofer are no way good enough to be partnered with that Pioneer.

If that's as much as you want to spend on speakers you be better off the getting the Pioneer Receiver that is about £900 instead.

You will not be getting anywhere near the best from the AX10i with that set-up.

Speakers such as the one sounddog mentioned are much more appropriate.

7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    While i agree that more esoteric speakers will more fully show the benefits of a AX10i...i do find that many "budget" speakers are still capable of showing the benefits of better amplification. My Gallos sats (300UKP) sound, to me, much improved when hooked up to my Cyrus Pre and two Ashly Audio FTX-2001 than they do on my 2011 for example.
    Besides we all need to buy something thats out of balance to justify our next upgrade...;)

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Sounddog with the 1st part (reg B&W VM1's)

However I would not use B&W 801's, Kef Reference, etc speakers with this unit.

Probably more wise to go for a Rotel 1095 with these speakers instead.

Use good quality speakers, but not 4 Ohm/low sensitivity.

The Pioneer's stereo output is 150W x 2 into 6Ohm.

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    tyfi ... while I agree that we have to upgrade one step at a time ... and sometimes have to buy something more budget than we'd like so we have more money to spend on other kit ... it was as much the fact of using a lifestyle system with the AX10i, than that the speakers were £900 (or whatever VM1 kit costs).

And yes ... better amplification always will bring some improvement to speakers ... its just a matter of degrees and I stand by my assertion that with VM1 (or KEF Eggs or other similar priced "lifestyle" setups - Gallo Balls maybe excluded) you would hardly notice any sound quality improvement between a SR5300 and the AX10i ... certainly no improvement from a 2011 to an AX10i. If you spent similar on "big box" speakers I can see the point ... though ... as I originally said ... I don't really care what people spend their money on as long as they are happy with the outcome - i'd never recoment Bose (domestic) kit ... but if a Bose owner is happy and enjoys music / films through their system then who am I to say they're wrong.

Vikki

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'm not really disagreeing. The improvement when switching from a 2011 to a pre-power combo, more than 3 times the price, on my Gallos isn't as great as it is on the ProAc SC1s i'm happy to be borrowing at the moment....but it is there. As you say as long as pcotton is happy with his sound that's the important thing.

11. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lifestyle speakers! 800£????

If you can find a set of Jamo D7 speakers for 800£ i will pay you 100£ to ship them to me ;-)

If im not much wrong the full package should set you back about 3000£

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I took it Vikki was referring to the B&W VM1's and the AS1 Subwoofer here...but like you if someone wants to send me a set of Jamos for 800UKP i'd be only too willing to flex the credit card.

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I meant the B&W VM1 / AS1 package that pcotton was buying with their AX10i ... the Jamo can no-way (if I remember them rightly) be called "lifestyle" unless we're talking dungeon lifestyle ... might fit in perfectly with the decor there!!

Sorry for the confusion but when I started posting, only pcotton had replied meantioning the VM1s

Vikki

PS. Nathan I said N805 not N801 ... I know at least one person here runs either N803 or N804 off their AX10i. Not sure about the KEF Reference but I was meaning high to top of the range speakers.

14. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    along with this amp, I run KEF reference 1's, rear KEF 34's, KEF 100 centre, REL Strata and a rear centre KEF cieling speaker.....

15. pcotton

pcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent 6K on a 50 inch Pio 503MXE, 2K on the AX10i amp, and 3K on the rest I now find myself regretting the VM1s !!

How much does a person have to sepnd to have a decent home cinema set up then ??? :suicide:

16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    between £1,000 and £150,000 should do it ...

BTW ... there's nothing wrong with VM1s ... its just an AX10i grossly outclasses them ...