Pioneer VSA-AX10Ai-S vs Primare seperates

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by simjip2000, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. simjip2000

simjip2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would really appreciate some advise/views…

I have built up a system which currently includes a Pioneer DV-989AVi-S, VSA-AX10Ai-S amp this driving a 5.1 B&W XT speaker package.

I have the option to purchase a Primare SP30 mk1 and an A30.5 Power Amp. Although the pioneer sounds great I must admit that the original purchase was swayed a lot by the great press it received. I have since realised that opinions can be bought and so my question is would the separate Primare system albeit older than the Pioneer be an upgrade… is it worth going for?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Primare certainly have a fantastic sound ability.....and i'd be willing to plonk the XT's on the Primare rather than a Pio......

one thing worth chewing on tho.....have you considered it may not be the Pio, but the XT's that are lacking?....i ask because i spent a while listening to the XT4's in a shop demo room on various amps and against various speakers, and being perfectly honest, i couldnt hear why they cost £1,700ish....B&W's own 704's happily thrashed the XT4's in to submission on every level.....ok they are slightly more conventional speakers and obviously take up a few extra inches of room, but their sound is so much better.....(personally i prefer Monitor Audio's GR/GS ranges even more but i'd still take 704's over XT4's any day of the week and twice on sunday)...

if you like the XT's for their lifestyle appearance then fair enough, ignore me....if however you bought them on the assumption they were good speakers for the money, consider trying out some of the alternatives before swapping your amp......

like i say, just a thought to chew on....

3. simjip2000

simjip2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this, the decision on the XT's was indeed swayed by aesthetics and foot print and having had various larger quality speakers in the past do realise the compromise, however they will have to stay for now or at least until I get a larger AV room.
    Changing the AMP is no problem but as yet very undecided…

4. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    From my experience with demo's etc. I would stay with the DVD/Amp you have (using iLink, etc) and would certainly look at changing the speakers. They are the weak link IMO.

Whilst the Primare's are good, the newer incarnations are better than the pre/pro you are currently looking at.

Steve :)