Pioneer VSA-AX10 upgrade

gmt steve

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had their VSA-AX10 upgraded by Pioneer to i-Link status?
I'm thinking of getting it done and wondered if they do anything else besides fit iLink.

i dont think it would be worth it unless you need i-link as i believe it costs £500.and i dont think you get anything else with it,but i could be wrong,

They include the following
channel level is a changed feature
speaker distancs is a change feature
switching I link.analog/digital is a change feature

Playback of up to 192kHz, 24 bit sound formats is a new feature

listening with sound delay is a new feature

HI-Bit/HI-sampling is a new feature

the rest is l-link related

told you i could be wrong!:blush:
oooh look my ton has come up!:D

only realy worth it then if u plan to listen to sacd and dvd-a

the difference for DD and DTS dvds is limited

but the audio delay is a god send if you dont have it.

just thought i would ask here, does the ax10 come with dd ex decoding?the pioneer website shows the ax10i as only having it so maybe this could be another feature they upgrade
fred

For all changes and differences between ax10, ax10i and ax10-upgraded download their respect. manuals from the Pioneer site.

The manual of the upgraded ax10 shows what is changed/new through sideline notes, and you can compare it with the one of the ax10(i) if necessary. (use find (ctrl-F) to see which versions have DD EX)

YES

DD EX and DTS ES are prsent on the AX10 and AX10i.

there was no changes or additions on the surround formats

are you sure?picture and spec on pioneer shows it does not...no label on front...so i guess it is not. i was considering swapping an ax10 plus cash for mine but i can't do without dd ex
fred

Wow, thanks for all the replys fellas. Yes it does cost £500 if you have Pioneer pick it up and return it, £419 if you arrange that yourself (great if you live near them). I really could use global audio delay, I have a plasma and an iScan. I'm going to have to scrape together the £500 somehow. I think I can see my Laserdisc player and discs going on the classifieds.:devil:

gandley thx ex is different to dd ex-thx ex uses the old pro logic to extrapolate the centre rears, dd ex uses dolby pro logic 11
fred

I've just recently bought an AX5i and can also add that IMHO the hi-bit audio scaler is worthwhile having - it definitely adds a sense of 'air' and 3-dimensionality (?) to CD replay.

Funny really, as I started out as a hairshirt stereo type and now I'm advocating extra processing...:rolleyes:

Oh and just noticed you've got an 868, you really must get the upgrade for i-link if nothing else.

Originally posted by fred123go
gandley thx ex is different to dd ex-thx ex uses the old pro logic to extrapolate the centre rears, dd ex uses dolby pro logic 11
fred

Not necessarily Fred, on THX Cinema set up on my AX5i I can specify whether it uses DPL, DPLII or Neo:6 to obtain the centre rear signal with the default setting being DPLII.

Not sure then fred, as using stereo for the rears is better.

but without the original AX10 to play with i cant tell you for sure if the modes can be changed like deckards AX5 can

Deckard - is that was the THX Cinema setup part in the menu is for then ? I thought it was to select which mode to use for THX Cinema when decoding a stereo source - ie from TV. So this is to choose which decoding method is used when you are watching TV/Cable in the THX Cinema mode ? Well this seems to be the case on my 2011 anyway - or have I got it wrong ?

Mark

i have since forgotten but can you turn the equalisation off on thx?personally if you couldn't then dd ex is definately worth having, and possibly something pioneer might be willing to do for not much extra, as there are some films, the matrix reloaded one of them, that certainly do not need thx processing.
in this case and you can't turn off re-equalisation then dd ex is essential imo
fred

on a non upgraded AX10 re equalization can be toggled on off
only in musicmode for home THX mode it is always on

Originally posted by gandley
on a non upgraded AX10 re equalization can be toggled on off
only in musicmode for home THX mode it is always on

That's correct gandley, and as you know (but I'm sure others don't and this is a forum after all) this is the feature that you loose if you upgrade the AX10 to iLink status. After going through the downloaded manual, the differences are:

iLink and it's various settings
Custom memorys for MCACC
Global delay for lip sync
Hibit upsampling
Extra settings for back rear speaker distance
Loss of THX Re-Eq for non THX modes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom