Pioneer VSA-AX10 - Not working, please help

A

Anhchi

My amplifier just stopped working while it was not in use, last time I watched a movie it worked fine, but then yesterday it was totally silent. Tried switching to other input terminals, also tried to switch to the "B" speaker terminals. Still no sound at all. Please, if anyone have a clue what could be wrong...

Nope, mute is off...

I was thinking there might be some fuses inside it, but I cant figure why it would stop working while it was not in use :(

Or that the input you are useing has the correct source selected e.g. coaxial, optical or analogure,

do the test tones still work?

Anhchi said:
Nope, mute is off...

I was thinking there might be some fuses inside it, but I cant figure why it would stop working while it was not in use :(

Had any thunderstorms in the area at all? They can sometimes frazzle things if they're left on Standby. Hopefully it's not that serious though.

Check you haven't selected the EXT IN by accident.

Anhchi said:
test tones not working either

I would pull the lid and check any fuses, but be careful :D

It powers up, the display seems perfectly fine. I opened the top cover just to have a look, and all the small fuses seems fine (however, I cant believe those fuses are for the speaker terminals)

There was some thunder last week

Only other thing I can suggest is to reset it all. The manual should say how to go about it. Denon's have a combination of buttons to press to do this so I assume Pioneer have something similar. Bear in mind it will reset everything back the factory defaults so you'll have to redo all the setup again.

Thanks for all the input:) I'll try to read the manual and see if I can reset it. Watching movies without sound is boring :D

Didn't find any way to reset it. Checked all connections again, and checked input assign. Still no sound, even when I run the auto setup.

I checked the manual online and on Page 84 it describes how to reset the unit.

"From the Standby mode, and while holding down the DIGITAL NR button press the STANDBY/ON button for about three seconds.

When you see RESET? appear in the display, press the TONE - button. OK? appears in the display, press TONE +."

The following is what I think happened to me.

I thought my AX10 had died, but it turned out to be an intermittent short in the middle of one speaker cable. It appeared that the amp "protected" itself by shutting down for increasing periods each time I abused it by powering up with the output overload. So cable swapping didn't help. I actually bought another amp, which revealed the same problem. With the new speaker cable and a couple of days rest, the AX10 was fine too.

Have you tried it with headphones - you might be able to determine if it is a source selection problem, or something on the power amp side of things.

check all speaker connections at the speaker ends.if one wire has come off on sound is as they say outputted

Tried the reset procedure without success - nothing happened:( Maybe it was for the VSA-AX10i?
I guess I will have to take it somewhere for service, I was hoping to avoid it because it's so heavy :)

i have exactly the same problem-no sound through speakers or headphones-have done the reset
(it does work on vsa-ax10). changed leads, had a look inside(didn't notice any fuses btw)powers up fine. I'm at a loss on this one...be interested to hear if you had a repair and what it was...

btw 'ancient geek' are you serious about the two days 'rest' for the amp. i've done everything i can and am wondering whether after resetting i may need to leave it for a while i.e 'two days' to start working again?

Anything further happened? This has happened to my amp as well :(
Its close to 5 years old, and didn't expect to replace it any time soon.

have bought an onkyo trs905-pioneer have quoted around 150 pounds to repair, will have it done but it is now redundant...

150 for a repair on an expensive amp like that is very good IMO - seems far cheaper than Denon etc

you've made me now consider a 2nd hand AX10 if repair prices are in that order of magnitude

cheers, Mark.

think they said it was an ic. op amp or something, nothing major, amp still powers up etc ...it's like a small link in the chain has broken, don't think it's an expensive part to replace, gonna keep it though, love that amp lol

My AX10 has decided to give up the ghost and is displaying the same symptoms. Can anyone tell me where I can get it fixed? I've taken it to one of Pioneers registered service centres but they didn't know where to start. If anyone has had any joy fixing this, what seems like a common fault, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Ryan.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom