1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer vs Philips

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ianrush, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to the shop today and saw Philips PF9966 and compared it to Pioneer PDP-435HDE...I thought the Philips plasma had far better picture quality..I have seen the Pioneer plasma many times now and it dissapoints me everytime...any comments?

2. sharkonholiday

sharkonholiday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to everyone
    i've that philips 42fp9966 and i'm very very satisfied of that products
    sorry for my english, i'm italian.
    i've seen pioneer 434 not the last one, but i think that philips it's the best.
    the video's quality it's a fabulous.....
    pixel plus 2 with hi quality video is very fluently and realistic, it seem to be nead the movie scene.
    bye

3. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Depends how they were set up - I've seen identical model plasma's set up in different shops - and where one shone and looked good,another looked terrible.If the Pio was put on display,with scant regard for proper picture settings,then it's never going to impress.

Shops can make or break a product,and 90% of them more than likely don't know how to set a panel to look good (even if their proverbial lives did depend on it).

The Pioneer is at the very least,as capable as the Phillips.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd expect any decent shop to get better results with Pioneer, any old pioneer, than Philips I'm afraid. Philips I'd bracket with Sony in this, some great ideas, some terrific products, I use and sell them every day, but plasma ain't one of them. The LCD's are not usually bad at all, apart from lack of PC support for no good reason, but the plasmas are. for the money, not very special.

5. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now been to 4 or 5 shops that has Pioneer, Philips and Panasonic..and everytime the Pioneer plasma dissapoints me in lack of good picture quality..it wasn't as sharp as the Philips and in dark scenes you could not see details that you could see on the Philips.

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More profit margin in Philips so go out there way to set them up with best connections then just stick a scart connection on the Pioneer to get people to take the Philips

:) i dont know for sure but i bet that plays a part

7. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...I saw with my own eyes that they were connected with scart and to the same dvd player..I saw soccer, saw severel dvd movies and a demo dvd..Pioneer didn't have a good enough picture! And in every shop I went to, just one shop recomended the Pioneer..I wonder why it has got so good review...

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer is a top end plasma in therefore needs top end connections and cables and equipment to get the best out of it, if your buying a Pioneer plasma then you certainly have to use DVI, VGA, Component Connections and not scart IMO

If they was both setup to there best i am sure the Pioneer would outclass the philips

9. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm..maybe you've right...it is surtainly not easy to decide...but if you buy a Pio that needs very good connections, it will cost a lot of money..not many dvd players have DVI and HDMI...I think I will buy the both of them..hehe

10. xyzebra

xyzebra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually I've owned a top end Pioneer...and the latest Philips 42pf9966 i sby far better on the analog pictures and has far more tunability....Pixel Plus,Line doubled,Line doubled movie,noise reduction, dynamic motion, backlighted ambilight, and on and on...

HD sources (about 15 different channels where I live) are pretty equal....

11. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42pf9966. Analog TV ... great
    we have no HD broadcasts. DVD I use Progressive. PP2 is also great.

I also compared with the PIO. Philips was better, IMHO.
    But you can't argue about taste.

Greetz

12. pquinn040573

pquinn040573

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the philips. I am very impressed with this screen. I am running sky digital via rgb scart and dvd via hdmi to dvi. Both are superb. The picture quality is better than anything I have seen. I know th pio and pany are supposed to be the dogs b but I cant see how you could improve on the PQ I am getting.

13. JackMan

JackMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If that's all you base your experience on, then how can you be so certain that nothing better exists. Model T Fords were probably state of the art when they were first sold but that doesn't mean that they are the best you can get:D

14. Butters

Butters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Whatever floats yer boat - if you prefer it - buy it

15. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Ianrush - living in thailand I see phillips all over the place, but finally I ended up with the pioneer which has been beyond what I have seen with any phillips. Not to say I didnt think about phillps quite allot but once i found this forumn it provided me many types of screens to look at. The ambient lights also caught my attention in the store but they don't improve the PQ enough to buy the screen.

By the way you mention "PDP -435HDE" Maybe you should take a look at the 436!:thumbsup:
    Asaf