Pioneer vs Panasonic regarding image quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by khaverblad, Jan 2, 2005.

1. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When reading around within this forum the summary regarding recommended DVD HDD recorders are either Panasonic when it comes to image quality and next after that Pioneer due to the GUI.

But, how bad is the Pioneer then compared with the Panasonic? Would anyone be able to provide examples from example Panasonic 85/95 and Pioneer 520/720. Since would assume that mentioned system would be match to each other regarding price range.

I'm currently using the first generation of the Hauppauge PVR board so it would be interesting also to get some kind of impression of how well the mpeg2 coding is done.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Panasonic's MPEG encoders are superior. You'll find it difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between them at Fine/XP levels but as you drop down to SP and below the difference becomes quite noticeable. The standard culprits - smoke, mist, rain, falling sand/snow etc - place a more visible strain on the Pioneer's encoder.

The biggest difference though is due to the length of time the recorders can do at full resolution (720/704 x 576) - the Panasonic records upto 3hrs as opposed to around the 2hrs 20mins mark for Pioneer.

It's hardly surprising the Panasonic is best at present though: they are on their fifth generation DVD MPEG encoder whereas Toshiba/Pioneer are on the third. It'll be interesting to see if next year's models close the gap.

3. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. okey, as far as I understand is that the Panasonic max video bit rate is around 8.1mbps - what would max bit rate be for the Pioneer 520/720? When using PC to record something that I want to store on DVD I usually recorded it at 12mbps and then re-encoded it down to around 6-8mbps and sometimes when low quality down to 4mbps.

Regarding the max time, 3 hours recording time in max res would that go for the most of the systems around that there is some kind of max time? Let say that one would like to record 6 hours of music videos and then edit out what should be burned out on DVD. This would then mean that one has to lower the recording bit rate or just once a while end the recording and then continue the recording ( I can live with that).

As many others I have loads of old VHS material I want to record onto DVDs and I started using the Hauppauge board, but due to some problems and just that editing on a PC takes usually more time I figure that it will be more speedy using DVD HDD device.

While on GUI I assume that the Panasonic and Pioneer are rather similar regarding features how to handle the system and as well being able to create menus with thumbnails, etc - or? Comparing the usage of both system and just looking at GUI and features - what system would be the best (forget the quality)?

And finally, one could always wait a while more if it could make a different for Pioneer, but would it make any difference for Panasonic?

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The Pioneer models record up to around 9800 Mbits/sec for video as a peak rate and average around 9600 on the top video rate (manual mode 31). The maximum allowed under the DVD Video specification is 9800 for video so you aren't going to get more than this onto a DVD disc from a set-top recorder.

This has been mentioned in another thread around here, it is all very well having resolutions thrown about in the conversation, but not much good when it becomes a little misleading. While the frame has a resolution of 720x576, you are not capturing all the detail into that resolution at the 3 hour rate, there simply isn't enough bits available unless you are recording a static image! Any time you get movement, or complicated scenes you will see visible artefacts as the encoder struggles. It is often better to drop the resolution where you must have more recording time on a DVD in order for more "constant quality" in place of blocking over movement or complicate scenes. This will be more apparent on VHS footage that introduces analogue noise that makes the encoder struggle even more.

They are different of course, but equally easy to get to grips with.

Of course you can always wait for something better, but if you did, you wouldn't buy anything.

Regards

Philip

5. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe! Agree, I was more wondering if there is any buzz around new model releases due to happend the next couple of weeks.