1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer v Sony v Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by David M, Feb 6, 2004.

1. David M

David M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5.1 set up (room is 12 ft x 12ft) and have a separate amp for music so I am only interested in DVD movies and sky. I have B&W speakers all round. I am in a quandry as to which AV amp to get. I have narrowed the field down to the following amps:

Sony STR db790 £220
    Sony STR-DB2000 £450
    Pioneer VSX 812 (has to be black therefore not 912) £300
    Pioneer VSA-AX3 (at a push, I don't think is worth, I don't think I will push it with the size of my room) £599
    Denon 2803 ???? around £450
    Denon 1804 ?????

Considering my requirements I am focusing on the processing power of the amps and the pioneer 812 has 48 bit processing the rest 32 bit.

I have read all the reviews on this forum and am leaning towards the pioneer 812, the AX3 would be perfect but I don't think I would get the best out of it considering I only want 5.1.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't look at 'bit' ratings as indicators of processing panache. Of the receivers you mention, the Denon 2803 and Pioneer AX3 have the better processing.

But in all honesty at this price point you shouldn't realistically be looking at breath-taking processing performance, you just want something that can effectively shift surround FX around your listening room. It makes more sense to try and get the best poweramp quality for your money.

Judging from your speakers (which I'd expect aren't particularly difficult for an amplifier to drive), I'd suggest either the Denon 2803 (a small continuous power output but plenty of capacitance to rise to the occasion with dynamic swells in a soundtrack), or the Sony DB2000 (which is similar in poweramp quality to the Denon). I'd lean slightly toward the Sony.

3. krismcewan

krismcewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the sony stdrb 1080 which is the one before the 2000 and i must admit after initial teething problems its an absolutely fantatstic reveiver for the money.
    It has video switching which is a must for people with lots of bits and lack of scarts/s video.

One thing I will say is that it tends to be really quiet on some sount fields and during Daredevil i had to change the filed 3 or four times to hars speach and tone down action but i dont know if that happens on the other boxes.

Chris

4. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Search out the 790 thread for some staggering comparisons with more expensive AV amps :)

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I never have that problem with mine ,you might find that a better center speaker helps.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take these with a pinch of salt. Doesn't matter how efficient your poweramp circuitry is, if you've got a cheap nasty power supply (which the 790 has) you're going to lose a lot over better designs.

7. krismcewan

krismcewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My center speaker works fine on some sound fields.

Its a decent eltax one

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Burn that before you even think about buying a receiver of the calibre of the 2803/AX3.

9. krismcewan

krismcewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some of us can only afford certain items.