1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer v Denon home cinema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by StevieC, May 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. StevieC

StevieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to replace a home cinema system (sony dvd combined) and will be going for a DVD recorder and, for the first time, introducing an amplifier to give me the 5.1 I need.

I'm just looking at the budget end and it will be for movies and also need to be compatible with the DVD recorder (Toshiba RDXS34).

I'm swithering between the Pioneer VSXC301 (from Richer Sounds) and the Denon 1705 (from Empire Direct).

Can anyone offer any advice/comparison/insight into these options?
    Or does anyone think I'm off the mark and should be looking at something else?

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    hi,

Personally, if you are used to the Sony sound then you may want to consider the Pioneer, which is more forward than the Denon and similar to 'sony sound' Having owned all three brands of late, I can say that the Denon nailed music for me, whilst the Pioneer excels at multi channel film tomfoolery - and is no slouch with music, just not as warm as the Denon. :smashin:

As always, lend your ear to a demo to make up your mind. Also, try not to dismiss Marantz (usually at Richer Sounds) Having heard a decent Marantz amp just last week I am starting to think .....interesting, very interesting :lesson:

Pete.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Definitely don't discount Marantz, a mate of mine has the SR4400 which is in a similar price bracket and it's excellent for the price. Probably better than my old Denon 1802 which was also excellent for the price. :)

4. StevieC

StevieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help.

Had a look at the Marantz but it was just a bit too bulky to sit under the TV.

Opted for the Pioneer from Richer Sounds.

All I need to do know is work out the best way to connect everything up????

Amp to TV? Skybox to Amp? Skybox to DVD recorder? TV to DVD Recorder? DVD recorder to Amp? Jeez .. where do I start????

5. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fwiw, Denon and Marantz are the same company…and at one time also Onkyo, as in Hihon Denki Onkyo.

"A Japanese manufacturer that curiously enough is best known in the west for their consumer audio and home theatre products but is better known in Asia as a supplier of professional audio products especially in the broadcast sector. Notable for selling the worlds first digital audio recorders and later the first hard disk recorder. Originally founded in 1938 as Nihon Denki Onkyo but soon became better known by the shortened form, but "Den-on" can mean "electric sound" in Japanese. The company was taken over by Nippon Columbia in 1963 and Denon absorbed what used to be the hardware arm of that company, it's for that reason that Denon still releases consumer electronics using the Columbia brand in Japan. Later became a part of the Hitachi group and likewise absorbed some of the audio product lines of that company, was re-established as a fully independent entry in 2001 but merged with Marantz in 2002 to form D&M Holdings but R&D and marketing remains separate from the mother company. Denon USA also acts as the NA distributor for Mission and Denon Japan acts as the distributor for Dali, A & R Cambridge (ARCAM), Infinity and Kimber Kable."

More than anyone every really wants to know about the incestuous audio/video industry: http://audiotools.com

Edit: btw, in addition to Denon and Marantz, the parent company, D&M Holdings also owns McIntosh Laboratory, arguably one of the better tube amps made.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Cheers for the heads up. Still a sonic difference however?!?!?!

Pete.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Indeed, but D&M basically just own the names/companies. The actual R&D and manufacture along with much of the marketing policies are kept seperate as they are still seperate entities.

Much like Mordaunt Short, Cambridge Audio and most of Richer Sounds stock are owned by Audio Partnership whilst IAG own Quad, Wharfedale and so on. I believe these firms have much more input into the product and how the companies are run.

I've always felt that Denon and Marantz share a similar sound anyway.:)