Pioneer UDP-LX500 owners thread

Went for an audition today but had real problems getting the LX500 to play SACD. The player was connected to the receiver using a single HDMI for both video and audio. Just how do you get the damn thing to play SACD. Is there a way of connecting, ie, using both HDMI to the receiver.

It's very frustrating as the same problem occur with my current LX58 player. It's so much easier with a Denon. AudioT is going to get some clarification for me but it's a disappointment as I've decided, at the moment, not to order.

If someone would be so kind as to give me good instructions I'd be very grateful as even the instruction manual with my LX58 is so wide of the mark as to be almost useless.

The connection would be Pioneer to Denon X6200 receiver.

gibbsy ,
I just put Dark Side of the Moon SACD in and it's playing just like any other CD would. I have always used dual HDMI connection even when i had an LX55.... whether it's that that makes the difference i don't know TBH. Only just recently upgraded to the LX500 ..... couldn't resist at 699.

gibbsy ,
I just put Dark Side of the Moon SACD in and it's playing just like any other CD would. I have always used dual HDMI connection even when i had an LX55.... whether it's that that makes the difference i don't know TBH. Only just recently upgraded to the LX500 ..... couldn't resist at 699.
Where for £699? You've got me all excited now.:smashin:

Good afternoon everyone. Recently I also bought a Pioneer LX 500.
I was wondering if you have samba network protocol. The pioneer only recognizes dlna, my files from the serviio program

It also recognizes the Dlna of my NAS, I think it has twonky media server, but it does not recognize samba, the oppo does it and it allows me to see full uhd inside an AVCHD folder
Do you know if Pioneer is compatible with samba or is there any custom firmware?
Thanks
Regards

@v1c Player arrived this morning. Looks in perfect condition, certainly a great buy. Thanks for the heads up. Will install it sometime today.

Hi Guys,
Can anyone with a Pioneer LX800 (and possibly LX500) that regularly plays back FLAC music files, please check and see does the letter ‘P’ from the Pioneer splash screen leave a few white stuck pixels approximately to the right of the folder/album cover art ?
Might be unique to mine or OLED screens, any feedback appreciated.
Cheers.

Just ordered an LX500, looking forward to checking it out with the projector and comparing it to the UB420 I had. Will finally see what it’s tone mapping is like as well.

The Panasonic tonemapping is superior. But the Pioneer look better on the shelf.

Personally I didn’t get on with the UB420’s image. Whether there is truth in all the Panasonic players outputting the same image or not, I found the 420 quite noisey in places where my previous Oppo was not. It could be that the UB9000 would be better than the UB420 image even though this appears to be contradicting what Panasonic says. I’ve had plenty of Pioneer laserdisc, DVD and BD players and love their quality, so hopefully the Pioneer is the right choice for me!

Personally I didn’t get on with the UB420’s image. Whether there is truth in all the Panasonic players outputting the same image or not, I found the 420 quite noisey in places where my previous Oppo was not. It could be that the UB9000 would be better than the UB420 image even though this appears to be contradicting what Panasonic says. I’ve had plenty of Pioneer laserdisc, DVD and BD players and love their quality, so hopefully the Pioneer is the right choice for me!

The Panasonic has some backdoor processing/ sharpness addet, and some chipset bandwidth issues, its the same no matter what Panasonic uhd player you buy, difference is features, and cabinet design.

The Pioneer should be pretty much the same as the OPPO 203, im fairly sure its build on the same mediatek chipset, however when i tested it, it was compleetly useless as a file player, but disc playback looked identical to the OPPO, and i think you can expect about the same tonemapping.

Hey Gibbsy,

I trust you are still enjoying the LX500. Knowing that you play a lot of CDs and SACD's, how have you found the player? Is it quick enough when going from track to track on discs? Any issues?

Cheers,
Steve

Hey Gibbsy,

I trust you are still enjoying the LX500. Knowing that you play a lot of CDs and SACD's, how have you found the player? Is it quick enough when going from track to track on discs? Any issues?

Cheers,
Steve
Plays blu ray and SACD beautifully, I would say quite quickly. I did get frustrated when trying to play a CD though eventually finding out that if you want to play CD or indeed DVD and blu ray with just SD Dolby soundtracks that you have to set the player to source direct.

It's upscaling abilities are very good and I use the 2160 setting to play on the Panny OLED. Still play the vast majority of my SACDs and certainly all of my CDs on my Marantz player as most of the SACDs are stereo only and the Marantz is going straight to the Rega amp rather than through the Denon. Sound quality wise, playing Jeff Wayne's War of the World live DVD I could pick up more detail than I was able to with the old Pioneer LX58.

Overall I'm very pleased with the player.

Plays blu ray and SACD beautifully, I would say quite quickly. I did get frustrated when trying to play a CD though eventually finding out that if you want to play CD or indeed DVD and blu ray with just SD Dolby soundtracks that you have to set the player to source direct.

It's upscaling abilities are very good and I use the 2160 setting to play on the Panny OLED. Still play the vast majority of my SACDs and certainly all of my CDs on my Marantz player as most of the SACDs are stereo only and the Marantz is going straight to the Rega amp rather than through the Denon. Sound quality wise, playing Jeff Wayne's War of the World live DVD I could pick up more detail than I was able to with the old Pioneer LX58.

Overall I'm very pleased with the player.

Many thanks. I'm planning to pick one up tomorrow, hence the questions. Greatly appreciate the info.

Cheers.

Many thanks. I'm planning to pick one up tomorrow, hence the questions. Greatly appreciate the info.

Cheers.
I would say on SACD multi channel it is superior to the LX58 and certainly my Denon 3313 transport. They are a little quirky with SACD set up. You have to engage it in the CD section either for stereo or multi in the stop position with no disc in the tray. Open the tray and place the disc in. Then, with the tray still open, press the play button. All done on the remote.

Finally set mine up and the tone mapping is pretty good, since I’m using it with a projector (UHD65) I set it to the lower nits setting using the ‘HDR to SDR’ slider. Like the panny it stops the whites being blown out.

While it doesn’t have the same amount of customization as the UB420 I had previously, I find I see less noise in the picture which I found distracting. The picture is still razor sharp and has plenty of pop. Even my wife commented on how good it looked!

So I’m extremely happy with the purchase, thanks to Dan @themovierooms for sorting a unit for me.:thumbsup:

I did also fire an email off to Pioneer UK asking if they had the specific range in nits that the HDR-SDR adjusts to, they came back and said they have to contact Japan. So if I get a reply I’ll be sure to post it here.

Anyone have the Multizone for Blu Ray mod done ?.

I was looking into it, cost is approx £200 plus shipping to Netherlands (their cost includes return shipping). I only have a couple of discs so it’s probably not worth the cost or wait in my case.

I was looking into it, cost is approx £200 plus shipping to Netherlands (their cost includes return shipping). I only have a couple of discs so it’s probably not worth the cost or wait in my case.

So there’s no mod you can purchase and install yourself ?, I see a dealer in the UK is selling the 500 with mod and 3 yr warranty for £999.

Unfortunately it’s not as easy as other players like the Oppo where you just plug in a dongle. The Pioneer requires soldering as far as I’m aware for multi zone playback.

Unfortunately it’s not as easy as other players like the Oppo where you just plug in a dongle. The Pioneer requires soldering as far as I’m aware for multi zone playback.

Yes I remember there was an internal mod for the OPPO’s to, not sure if it was soldered or not though. It’s a shame it’s not offered just to buy, I sober who the source is ...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom