Pioneer UDP-LX500 owners thread

Hi Phil,
You gave me the idea of considering it could be the DX902, so I played same disc on the Panasonic UB900 & no issues, so it appears something I hadn’t thought & that is the DX902 compatibility with the UB900 is perfect but it seems both the Oppo & Pioneer lx 800 cause the DX902 an issue.... so conclusion is it the tv! I can’t win cheers

Anyone able to help?
Sorry only just spotted this. The answer is yes it does.

I used the old Pronto that I had programmed the code into for my old BDP 450 and it worked exactly the same on the LX500.

Last edited:
I bought a 500 ahead of hopefully updating my PJ for an Epson 9400 in the next few months. Currently i’m using a Panasonic UB900 and running the signal through a Linker on the way to my Sony.

I matched as many settings on the Pio as I could for the existing Panny but as can be seen in the photos below, the colours are muted compared to when I plug the UB900 back in.

E8115E9E-2113-41F8-AEBE-F7C7D12293F5.jpeg
E366E62A-3596-4678-87A7-24266BFA379C.jpeg

Any suggestions on what adjustments I need to make ?

Has anybody tried the BD-Mod Jailbreak for this player? mainly interested in its network ISO playback.

I bought a 500 ahead of hopefully updating my PJ for an Epson 9400 in the next few months. Currently i’m using a Panasonic UB900 and running the signal through a Linker on the way to my Sony.

I matched as many settings on the Pio as I could for the existing Panny but as can be seen in the photos below, the colours are muted compared to when I plug the UB900 back in.

View attachment 1119339 View attachment 1119340

Any suggestions on what adjustments I need to make ?

Did you ever get this sorted ?.

Did you ever get this sorted ?.

Yep, eventually.

Spurred on by the lack of responses here I spent a morning going through every single setting and it turned out that the HDMI Deep Colour option was defaulting to 10 Bit instead of the Off I thought it was set to and my Sony couldn’t handle it.

I did a factory reset and the change worked this time. A longer term solution will be the imminent arrival of an Epson 9400 :)

It’s a very impressive piece of kit, battleship build and whisper quiet in operation, the only major bugbear I have about it is that in 2019 a piece of tech this expensive not having built in WiFi is pretty disappointing.

Loving my LX800 specially after this new firmware update now it plays DTS DTS HD DTS X and ATMOS MLP from MKV and BDMV folders now, simply a stunning player glad I sold my oppo 205

Nice to see the LX500 and 800 now Multizone :thumbsup:

Anyone compared the LX500 to a UB9000/820 etc ?, I’m a fan of Panasonic player image quality compared to say the Oppo so was wondering if the LX500 is as sharp as the Panasonic’s ?. Also do they have a source direct setting for resolution ?.

I can’t compare directly because up until now my image has been downscaled, but on my disc of the first Avengers I did remark to myself that I could make out more detail on the gold zip that runs up the centre of the Cap’s costume during the New York showdown when viewing on the Pioneer as compared to my Panasonic UB900.

And yes, it has a Source direct option.

What is the Pioneer's tone mapping like compared to the Panasonic's? Does it work in the same way by taking the upper blown-out whites and reducing them for a lower nit display?

Currently torn between the Panasonic 9000 or Pioneer lx500, have a Panny UB420 at the moment but I find the picture is overly sharpened compared to the Oppo 203 I had previously and wondered if the Pioneer would be in-between the two. I also really dislike the size and build of the UB420 as it doesn't fit my rack at all!!

Does the 500 recognise SACD on insertion, or do you have to cycle through the CD>SACD Stereo>SACD Multi as you have to on the LX58. It's very buggy on my LX58 and on some discs will only recognise the CD layer.

I'm ordering a Panny 208 OLED next week and I might have to get the 500 under the wife's radar. Do you think I could take my empty LX58 box with, telling her it's for the audition, then put a new 500 in there to come home? Or does that smack of desperation. Shall I just tell her after the fact and face her wrath?

Does the 500 recognise SACD on insertion, or do you have to cycle through the CD>SACD Stereo>SACD Multi as you have to on the LX58. It's very buggy on my LX58 and on some discs will only recognise the CD layer.

I'm ordering a Panny 208 OLED next week and I might have to get the 500 under the wife's radar. Do you think I could take my empty LX58 box with, telling her it's for the audition, then put a new 500 in there to come home? Or does that smack of desperation. Shall I just tell her after the fact and face her wrath?

Lol! I'd just tell her if it was me, and if you have a current player say you are selling it to help fund the purchase. Otherwise just get and install it when she isn't in.

Panny 208 OLED is that a typo ?

I hate to tell you this, but your wife reads all your posts on the forum. Nothing is going to get past her....:)

What is the Pioneer's tone mapping like compared to the Panasonic's? Does it work in the same way by taking the upper blown-out whites and reducing them for a lower nit display?

Currently torn between the Panasonic 9000 or Pioneer lx500, have a Panny UB420 at the moment but I find the picture is overly sharpened compared to the Oppo 203 I had previously and wondered if the Pioneer would be in-between the two. I also really dislike the size and build of the UB420 as it doesn't fit my rack at all!!

Be interesting to get an answer on this. Infact does the LX500 have tone mapping at all ?.

Anyone with an lx500 care to explain whether the projector setting in tv type reduces the nit level for compatible hdr reproduction? I’m hoping this is the case so a 4000nit scene can be displayed on only a 350-500 nit projector.

@gibbsy. No, I've always lived alone and done as I please, but not had the other benefits unfortunately. :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom