1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer THX Receivers any good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ketbul, Sep 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ketbul

ketbul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking into the Denon 3801 or now the 3802 but have come across the Pioneer VSX-859RDS receiver which includes THX and THX Ultra.

Does anyone have any experience of the THX pioneer models?

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went from a Pioneer VSA-E06 to a Denon AVC-A1D and the Denon sounds a lot warmer and more musical. The Pioneer was excellent in terms of build quality but the sound was a tad bright. I don't know if the goalposts have moved since (this was two years ago).

3. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an E07 and I'm really pleased with it. Pioneer amps do have a reputation for having a fairly bright sound though, so it's important to match speakers carefully.

4. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pionner 909RDS which is DD,DTS,THX,EX, DTS EX...and I love it for movies.

I did havd a VSX859RDS but it was of the first batch which had a fault and Pioneer swapped it free for the 909..

Movie wise it is great up load it has impact, I have added a Pionner MX-10 power amp for the EX processing as well and EX movies rock.

BUT

Compared to my 7 year old Yamaha Amp music sounds completely different...

But then again i Am running a £900 amp with a set of Tannoys MX3 at £200...

I also this that speakers need to be carefully matched..

Any one have any Ideas??

Begining to think about a sel of THX Select speakers when I have the money.........

5. Brendon

Brendon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ketbul,

I've been using my Pioneer THX receiver (VSX-908) for just over a year now.

The receiver itself itself is excellent, and IMHO I do think the THX post processing is worthwhile on *some* soundtracks. THX post processing always goes on any pro-logic decoded soundtracks, and some 5.1 material (that which sounds overly bright or has monophonic surrounds such as The Abyss).

I'm using it with a set of Tannoy M3's, M1's and MC which more than compensate for Pioneer's characteristic brightness.

Choose & match your speakers well and you should be fine.

As always, the best judge of any given piece of kit's sound is yourself, your ears and a bit of thought!

Nickeng,

Which THX Select speakers are you considering ? I'm toying with the idea of M&K's THX750 setup. Having heard them, they are truly superb but I'm not sure about how well they'll match with the Pioneer receiver. I'm sure the THX bloke in the shop would advocate using the re-eq part of THX post processing, but not every film warrants it.

Cheers,

Bren

6. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a e 07 and the sound has gone again due to dsp card on amp and this is secound time first was in warrenty 12 mounths ago and has gone again out of warrenty mmmmm good amp also was good when i could here sound and ruined my weekend going to see shop i got it from soon as too see wot they say and i am trying too get phone number for pioneer direct so i can tell them -thats how ****** off i am

i had a yam for 3 1/2 years no probs why with this amp?????????????/

8. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

and so called top make hahah mmmm i want that top pioneer amp mmm wot is that now???? but if no success i will go denon

END

9. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presently have a VSX-E06 coupled with B&W603s,CC6 & Polk RT/FX rears. There is no hint of brightness but like any setup it's down to careful matching and personal taste.