• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer stuck pixels

J

jp0

I just purchased a pioneer 9G and have found there are 6 pixels at various different places on the screen which are stuck and are red most of the time. However from time to time they display the correct colour for a few seconds and look normal, but then change back to their usual state of being stuck. Does anyone know of this problem? How common is it? Does it warrant an exchange? Thx in advance

sparklesmcgraw

I had 1 stuck pixel on my set that did this when new.

Over time it sorted itself out and is now working fine 100% of the time.

Keep an eye on it and maybe note it with the supplier, but my advice would be to give it +/- 100 hrs and see if it sorts itself out. Maybe run some screen patterns to try to spring them into life permanently.

If not, and they are noticeable from a regular viewing distance, get it exchanged.

6 sounds alot - I am sure you would get it replaced with that many faulty.

Be warned the next screen you get has a very high chance of dead pixels but should be less than 6

perceptionist87

6 sounds alot - I am sure you would get it replaced with that many faulty.

Be warned the next screen you get has a very high chance of dead pixels but should be less than 6

Hi there,

How can you know this? Keeping an eye on Pioneer production batches and out of spec display count ?

Feeling uncomfortable now, I thought uf picking up my first Pioneer short before they disappear from the market...

Kev12

Hi there,

How can you know this? Keeping an eye on Pioneer production batches and out of spec display count ?

Feeling uncomfortable now, I thought uf picking up my first Pioneer short before they disappear from the market...

Baldybouncer works on the theory that ALL Pioneer panels have at least one stuck pixel!

Last edited:

perceptionist87

Baldybouncer works on the theory that ALL Pioneer panels have at least one stuck pixel.

Lol, you definitely make me think twice...

I see my chances disappear to ever own a Pioneer TV, since the production has stopped.

And now, there are seriously theories there is none out there that is 100% flawless ?
Makes me sad. Thought they were the top of the eisberg and now look how it's going down...

There's no place in the world for unbiased products

Kev12

Lol, you definitely make me think twice...

I see my chances disappear to ever own a Pioneer TV, since the production has stopped.

And now, there are seriously theories there is none out there that is 100% flawless ?
Makes me sad. Thought they were the top of the eisberg and now look how it's going down...

There's no place in the world for unbiased products

My first KRP had several stuck pixels, the replacement has none.
It does seem like luck, but I think all manufacturers are the same.
6 does seem a lot though, get on the phone to the shop.

perceptionist87

My first KRP had several stuck pixels, the replacement has none.
It does seem like luck, but I think all manufacturers are the same.
6 does seem a lot though, get on the phone to the shop.

Well, except the KRP costs a whole lot more.
If I would stretch my budget to do this one-time-investment just to then end up with a faulty screen I would probably switch to rage mode :devil:
Meaning I would call the shop and explain where I'm coming from and if they wouldn't accept that I would not unlikely grab the panel, carry it to the shop window and smash it through - but maybe that's just me.

Honestly, are this KRP all they're cranked up to be?

blackaxe

Standard Member
Had mine about 6 weeks and have noticed a few pixels display bright green when colour should be gray or brown.
Just been in touch with pioneer and tech guy coming out to have a look.
Pioneer customer services very negative and not helpfull at all.
Just as well they are on the end of a phone line and not face to face.
Will keep you posted.
Had a phillips plasma for 5 years now and its still as good now as when new?
Not so sure about these pioneers:confused: :confused:

See loads of pioneers screens and I have never and I mean NEVER seen one without atleast one faulty pixel.

On the other hand I have owned quite a few panasonic plasmas and have only ever suffered one faulty pixel that started to work after being on for half an our or so.

Pioneer should replace the set with so many faulty but dont expect a perfect screen if it is replaced - I am not biased - I am just pointing out what I have seen

GaryMo

See loads of pioneers screens and I have never and I mean NEVER seen one without atleast one faulty pixel.

I've fed mine with a totally black and then white screen. Neither showed up any pixels coloured other than expected.
I assume this would have shown a dead pixel if there was one (or more)?

LMDavies

jp0 - My first KRP-500M had 4 pixels stuck on red and the replacement had just the one stuck pixel. This one is in the top left corner and it dissapears and reappears at random. I would personally get it replaced but do not expect the replacement screen to be pixel perfect.

blackaxe

Standard Member
Why do they not tell you about these problems before you buy the damn things maybe then you could put you're 2 grand into something more suitable.
Nothing worse than a flashing pixel constantly anoying you throught a film especialy when you've got friends round who spot the bloody thing flashing away and say my 700 pound samsung doesnt do that i thought pioneer were the dogs doo daas.
Bit embarassing when you've shelled out that much.
Its not acceptable and if they say this is the norm then they should be withdrawn from the market.:devil::suicide:
The tech guy has been out to mine and has made some adjustments which did improve slightly then the green pixel turned into a red one and a few others then appeared so looks like the panel will be replaced.

hopeless

I've fed mine with a totally black and then white screen. Neither showed up any pixels coloured other than expected.
I assume this would have shown a dead pixel if there was one (or more)?

I've not seen one on my 600A yet - and I've been looking..

blackaxe

Standard Member
The one on mine was flashing bright green.
Think i would not have noticed if it had been stable.
Position was centre of screen and 95mm from left.
Its now red and there are more of them now.

Kev12

Why do they not tell you about these problems before you buy the damn things maybe then you could put you're 2 grand into something more suitable.
Nothing worse than a flashing pixel constantly anoying you throught a film especialy when you've got friends round who spot the bloody thing flashing away and say my 700 pound samsung doesnt do that i thought pioneer were the dogs doo daas.
Bit embarassing when you've shelled out that much.
Its not acceptable and if they say this is the norm then they should be withdrawn from the market.:devil::suicide:
The tech guy has been out to mine and has made some adjustments which did improve slightly then the green pixel turned into a red one and a few others then appeared so looks like the panel will be replaced.

To be fair, it isn't just Pioneer.
All the manufacturers can produce panels with stuck pixels, and they all have disclaimers in the warranty.

To be fair, it isn't just Pioneer.
All the manufacturers can produce panels with stuck pixels, and they all have disclaimers in the warranty.

Pioneer screens seem to be worse than normal.

I have had in the past:
Pioneer 436XDE - 3 dead pixels - replaced under warranty
Pioneer 436XDE - 2 dead pixles - replaced under warranty
Pioneer 436XDE - 5 dead pixels - replaced under warranty
Pioneer 436XDE - 4 dead pixels - refunded - bough panasonic instead...

Panasonic 42PW4 - no dead pixels
Panasonic 42PH8 - no dead pixels
Panasonic 50PH9 - no dead pixels

I currently own

Panasonic 50PH9 - no dead pixels (replacement screen due to other fault)
Panasonic 37PX8 - no dead pixels

So I agree other screens can suffer from it but pioneers are by far the worst for it (the reason why is stamped on the back of the screen - it says 'made in uk')

sparklesmcgraw

If it is flashing on and off, give it time and run some screen colour flash sequences.

On mine, it had sprung back to life permanently so now my screen has zero stuck/dead pixels.

6 is a bit high but as long as they arent dead and are not permanently stuck on a colour, give the set time to run in and they may well pop into life.

Kev12

Pioneer screens seem to be worse than normal.

I have had in the past:
Pioneer 436XDE - 3 dead pixels - replaced under warranty
Pioneer 436XDE - 2 dead pixles - replaced under warranty
Pioneer 436XDE - 5 dead pixels - replaced under warranty
Pioneer 436XDE - 4 dead pixels - refunded - bough panasonic instead...

Panasonic 42PW4 - no dead pixels
Panasonic 42PH8 - no dead pixels
Panasonic 50PH9 - no dead pixels

I currently own

Panasonic 50PH9 - no dead pixels (replacement screen due to other fault)
Panasonic 37PX8 - no dead pixels

So I agree other screens can suffer from it but pioneers are by far the worst for it (the reason why is stamped on the back of the screen - it says 'made in uk')

The panels were made in Japan, they were just assembled in the UK.

stranger

They are not actually made in uk, just assembled here.

My sets

507XD- no stuck pixels
LX5080D- no stuck pixels
KRP-600A- no stuck pixels

All checked with full colour red, green, blue, black and white screen tests.

astirling

Seems like the 6th generation pioneers were particularly unlucky for you baldybouncer. Here's what I've owned.

435xd - Now at my parents and no dead pixels
508xd - No dead pixels
6090 - No dead pixels (to date anyway)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom