1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer SR to control Sky+

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Kier, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Kier

Kier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right now I have the following SR chain going on...

PDP-505XDE -> VSX-AX5Ai -> DV-868AVi -> DVR-220

... and it works very nicely, with all the components responding to the sensor on the front of the plasma screen.

The only component that won't respond is of course my Sky+ box. Naturally this is incredibly annoying, as while all the other components can be hidden away, the Sky+ box has to have a line of sight to the seating area for the IR sensor to work.

So... what I'd like to do is to use the IR out port on the back of the AX5 to run an IR relay for the Sky+ box, so that I can control Sky using the IR sensor on the plasma screen, as I do with all my other components.

Does anyone have any experience of doing something like this?

2. anov24

anov24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have any joy?

In the next couple of months I want to buy a universal remote which will control my now being installed:

PDP534XDE
    VSXC502-S
    DV668AV-S
    SKY+
    and 4 remote light switches.

Any recommendations?

3. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm starting to plan ahead for IR distribution with a PDP436XDE I have on order.

I've been researching a fair bit into Wired IR control, as I already have a Xantech wall mounted touchscreen.

If you want to integrate Sky with Pioneer's SR, then you are likely to require :

The Xantech 794 converts Pioneer's proprietry SR signals to generic wired IR and Sky Eye controller can be used to make a reliable connection to the Sky box (Rather than using a blinker / emitter). You may need to double check the above link is Sky+ compatible.

Hope this makes sense.

Check out this thread for more info :

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?7372
    (Post 8 gives you the info you need)

You can get hold of Xantech 794's from letsautomate.com, although it is an expensive option. I've chosen to stuck with Xantech as I've got the touchscreen and X10 Home Automation Controller already.

I'll let you know how I go with controlling my Pioneer and all other kit when it arrives sometime next month.

Could any of you confirm if the IR window on the new Pioneer's is on the screen itself or on the Media Receiver ? I plan to hide the majority of my AV equipment.

4. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Than to get a Logitech Harmony 895. It is wireless and I've got it controlling everything wirelessly in my setup, apart from our fire which is IR but it does that too !

SR is a great feature but it seems fairly pioneer specific - maybe you can get it working with other kit but the 895 is so easy to use why bother, I doubt SR will power on all the kit and set it up just as you want it like the Logitech will. I've got SR+ on my PDP 436 and my Receiver and it is still handy as the TV displays the outputs from the Receiver (volume, settings etc.) but I've consigned all my other remotes to a cupboard now.

5. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Paul does your 895 work the sky tv remote and was it easy to set up, also can it learn xbox 360 and media center

6. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The 895 is controlling SKY Box + DVD Recorder via RF (the wireless box thing that comes with it and turns radio back into Infra Red so I can use it inside a cabinet). It is also controlling my PIO 436 and Pio A/V receiver via Infra Red through the pio and via SR+ to the AMP.

There isn't anything I've wanted this thing to do that it can't and it can learn codes as well - I'm 99% sure it can do media center and probably X Box too - see image below (click thumbnail) for a screen shot of all the device types it offers - under each of those there's shed-loads of manufacturers and devices too.... it is easy to program via your PC - that screenshot is of the software, and the help on the remote itself is actually really helpful - it 'knows' what you are trying to do (e.g. "Watch DVD") and knows what should be on/off to do that and will ask you what's going on if things aren't working.

I've even got it controlling our remote control fire via IR - it knew all the codes which amazed me as it is an obscure-ish firm that supplies the fire.

[​IMG]

7. wadge

wadge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where can I buy an SR cable from?