1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer SR+ cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gtg60, Sep 1, 2004.

1. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Howdy
    Currently using a Pioneer 814 while I wait for the new AX5ai and was reading the manual about connecting Pioneer equipment using SR+ cables for increased functionality, the manual showed a double ended 4 pole 3.5mm lead, I happened to have one for my soundcard that worked and indeed adds some useful functions.

Question is I've searched everywhere for these cables and can't seem to locate any, I really would rather not pay Pioneer as they're bound to be overpriced, anybody know where I can get some?

Thanks
    Keith

2. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Nobody?

3. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just found this on the CPC site. You will have to make your own cables though!

CPC 4-pole 3.5mm plug

4. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My cables and plugs arrived from CPC today. It works ... sort of. If I use the controls on the Amp itself, then everything works fine, volume is displayed on the plasma, input switching works on the plasma, menu settings from the amp are displayed - all quite cool looking really.

However, when I use the remote control for the 814 it works for only a few seconds/keypresses before SR+ switches itself off. Very bizzare.

I might chase this up with Pioneer and see if there is a cure.

Mike

5. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like it was a dodgy SR+ cable that was at fault. Maybe it was too long at 2m. Knocked up a new shorter cable at work today and it now seems to be working fine.

6. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hiya
    What have you linked? At the moment I'm using one cable to connect the 814 to the 434 plasma, works great only every time I switch them on I have to turn SR+ on too. Does this happen with you?

Keith

7. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, same here. If I switch the 814 Amp off, then I have to press "Receiver" then "SR+" to get it working again, even though it is set to default to SR+ On in the configuration. Maybe this is by design?

I am linking into a 504HDE plasma

8. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yeah, exactly, isn't that annoying, now I know it's not just happening to me I think I'll give Pioneer a quick email and see if this can be sorted.

Gonna have to get some connectors and plugs myself to make cables so I can connect my dvd player too!

Just a quick question, do you have problems with the tv looking for the date/time to be set each time it's switched on?

Thanks
    Keith

9. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only get this problem if 1) the aerial is disconnected and 2) I have powered off the plasma at the Media Box. If I put the box/plasma in standby it is OK (I think).

What DVD have you got that supports SR+?

Mike

10. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Anyone know here I can get my mits on one of these SR+ cables to connect PDP-434DHE Plasma to VSX-1014 receiver?

Phone Pioneer but they put me through to a 3rd party who were hopeless and very probably expensive.

Surely there must be a commercial cable that does the same job.

Also, not scared to get the parts and make it up myself, if anyone has schematics.

11. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You want a couple of these

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/53567.pdf

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=5096212&N=401

or any 3.5mm 4 pole jack would do. You then connect up pole 1 to pole 1, pole 2 to pole 2 etc., no need for a crossover - at least I'm pretty certain there was no crossover required when I made mine.

If I remember correctly it is a wee bit fiddly as there isn;t much space to work with becuase there are so many poles to connect.

I never managed to find a cable already made up, they always ended in phono leads which is no use.

Get that soldering iron out!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L-K-4-Pole-3-...ryZ32837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    My mate works in a TV Repair chop, so he build me a cable, works a treat!

Don't seem to suffer from the problem of the receiver forgetting that its set to use SR+. I am using a Pio 1014 connected to a 434 Plasma.

There is a menu on the receiver that you setup which input on the plasma is to be selected when you select a certain input on the receiver.

e.g. INPUT 3 (Component) selected on Plasma when DVD/LD selected on receiver.

Makes life so much simpler.

13. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have reported the problem with the 814 and SR+ to Pioneer Customer Services via there web site. Will post any reply here.

Customer (Mike Crawford) 06/09/2005 09:03 PM
    I currently have my PDP-504HDE plasma connected to a VSX-D814 amp via an SR+ cable. This works fine in terms of controlling the plasma, but there would appear to be a problem in that each time the 814 amp is powered off it forgets that SR+ was set to ON in the menu. I have to go back into the menu each time to reenable SR+

Interesting this does not seem to affect people connecting their plasma up to the 1014 Amp.

The thread where this is discussed can be found here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1931989#post1931989&conly=

Cheers

Mike Crawford

14. eheard

eheard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, seeing these postings, maybe someone can help me with a problem I am having. I have connected my pioneer receiver and plasma via the SR+ cable, but in order to get the receiver menu to display on screen do I need to make any additional connections (monitor out ?) If so any idea what. Do you need to select a specific input on the plasma to see the menu options to show.

15. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As long as it is an SR+ cable (the one with 4 poles) then all that should be needed is to enable SR+ in the receiver. This automatically displays what you are doing on the receiver (e.g. turning up the volume) on the pioneer plasma.

Regards

Mike

16. wifi_kid

wifi_kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I know this thread is a little old now but the info may be of help. I have spent a long time looking for SR+ cables as I refused to pay Pioneer £29.95 (or whatever they charge) especially as I wanted 2 of them. I recently got some from ebay for £10 a piece. Just serach for "Pioneer SR+). They work a treat on my plasma screen, amp and HDD recorder. Definitely worth doing as the wife and kids find it much easier now that the remote switches the screen inputs automatically, etc.

17. dred17

dred17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    cheers mate looking for one of these.:thumbsup:

18. adamj121212

adamj121212
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know this thread is old but figured it came up in the searches I did so maybe better to add than start new.

I have some relatively new pioneer stuff (krp 500a with vsx 919) they both have the sr+ connection and briefly touch on the subject in the manuals but they say nothing about an sr+ menu where you can enter details like input selections etc. as mentioned by others here.

I have linked the sr+ control out from the krp 500a to the sr+ control in on the vsx 919 with a 3 ring 3.5mm lead as described but basically it does nothing at all and there doesn't seem to be any kind of menu for entering details.

I also have a pioneer bd player with the sr+ control connection and the vsx 919 has an in and out to link multple devices. When I plug a mono (1 ring) 3.5mm jack to jack (which is what the bd player manual says to use) from the out of the amp to the bd this adds a couple of functions which are useful and along the lines of what I was hoping the other cable would do but they only work when the bd player is on. This turns the tv to hdmi 1 and the amp to bd when you press play on the bd player and also when you press tv on the tv remote it switches the amp simultaneously to tv, which is great but this only works when the bd player is on! Annoying.

Next I took the 3 ring cable out from the tv to the amp and basically the above features still work and are obviously purely due to the mono cable from the amp to the bd player.

If anyone could offer any advice would be much appreciated, does the kuro tv have a sr+ menu that I can't find? Does the amp have an sr+ menu? Does anyone have the similar or the same kit and has got it to work? Is it just not very good as the manual says they can't guarantee it to work properly which doesn't give me much hope?1?

19. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a VSX-D814 and a Pio 504HDE, connected the same way. The SR+ functions and menu only kick in when SR+ is turned on on the amp. To do this I use the amp's remote (Receiver/Green button then the SR+ button). Once SR+ is on, then anything I do on the amp, e,g, turning up the volume, will be shown on the plasma. It also has the added benefit of allowing me to hide the amp away as any remote functions get passed from the IR of the plasma, down the SR+ cable to the amp.

If I remember correctly, when I used the mono cable, before I built an SR+ cable, the plasma would still pass the commands from the IR of the plasma to the amp, but I didn't get the onscreen indicators that I did with the SR+ cable.

Hope this helps.

20. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +716
    Thats got to be worth a thanks from your friendly neighbourhood moderater :thumbsup:

21. adamj121212

adamj121212
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thanks for the response, I could be being a bit thick but as far as i can see there is no sr+ button on my remote. I have the functions you mention via the kuro link, volume on screen, powers down together but what I was really after which I sort of have only when the bd player is on is the input switching to match the source etc. Others have mentioned this menu that evades me where you can enter what's connected to what input. Has this been replaced by kuro link? I still have the sr+ connections? Confused!?!