Pioneer Speakers Elite T z7 4Ohm speakers to Marantz MM7025 amp

mirko4

Novice Member
I have a Marantz SR6011 receiver but will drive the front speakers with a Marantz MM7025 2 channel amp I just purchased a couple of weeks ago (specs attached below).
The amp is rated at 170W/[email protected] ohms and 170W/[email protected] ohms, (no mention of 4 ohms rating).

I was thinking of buying a set of used Pioneer Elite Tz7 speakers (very rare) rated at 4 ohms at a good price ($CAD 500.00)
These speakers are supposetely the best speakers Pioneer ever made a while ago and are very hard to find.
Some links of the speaker reviews here:
stereophile
The vintage knob
Audiokarma
Inner Ear Mag

My question is: Can I plug these Pioneer 4ohm speakers into my Marantz amp without damaging either my amp or the speakers?
Currently, all my speakers (2front/2surround.2surr height/1 center/1 sub) are 8ohms so I never had an issue with this.

Please help.

Attachments

• 3587263-297bc598-pioneer-tad-elite-t-z7.jpg
    3587263-297bc598-pioneer-tad-elite-t-z7.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 18

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Marantz do not give any figures for 4 ohms. Your figures are wrong for 8 ohms which is 140 watts with 170 watts for 6 ohm. I suggest you contact Marantz support to see if they do actually give a 4 ohm readings. On those two figures the amp doesn't look to have a lot of reserve power.

Connecting the speakers should not pose any problems for the amp, nor cause damage to either the speaker providing you don't drive them at deafness inducing levels. If it's not up to the job then there will be distorsion at very low frequencies.

Why do you want vintage speakers, especially in a surround sound set up. The front three should really be from the same manufacturer and model to preserve timbre across the all important front sound stage. Using the vintage Pioneers with a modern non matched centre could really sound off.

mirko4

Novice Member
Thank you Gibbsy,

I have another setup for surround sound with other speakers (Polk RTI9-A9's and matching center+2 matching small Polks for surround) and connected directly to my integrated Marantz SR6011 receiver. So this setup would not affect the speakers or the receiver.
Specs SR6011 integrated amplifier
Power amplifier Rated output:
Front: 110 W + 110 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.) 150 W + 150 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Center: 110 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.) 150 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Surround: 110 W + 110 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.) 150 W + 150 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Surround back / Height1 / Height2: 110 W + 110 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.) 150 W + 150 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Output connectors: 4 – 16 Ω/ohm

The Pioneer Elite Tz7 speakers would be only for listening to music and connected (in zone 2) bi-amped with 2 matching MM7025 / 2 ch amps (have one, second exact one being shipped, bought used).

Question: would like to upgrade all the drivers and tweeter (in the future, if I have to) of the Pioneer Pioneer Elite Tz7 speakers with (new) 8 ohm drivers/tweeter (crossover if there's one inside) taking advantage of the speaker's great design and cabinetry and looks. This would essentially make them new again. It's the only set of good sounding (as per reviews) large floor standing speaker towers (I could find) that matches my furniture and fits under a shelf close to where I live.

Thanks in advance for your new comments...

Mirko

gibbsy

You'll still be using the processing of the Marantz for stereo. No way is that going to get anywhere near the audio performance of an integrated stereo amp. It will be like putting diesel in a petrol engine. All you will be doing is to amplify the audio from the 6011.

The 6011 is a mid tier Marantz amp at best. I run a higher tier Denon in the X6500 and still wouldn't even consider it for serious stereo listening. I use a Rega Elicit-R taking advantage of it's HT by-pass capabilities so that both stereo amp and AV amp share the same front speakers.

mirko4

Novice Member
I am a bit confused by your last response... Since the MM7025/2ch amp will be connected to the (low level) pre-out rca jacks of the SR6011 integrated receiver, the quality of the sound will be dictated by the receiver. The MM7025 being only an amp will only amplify the signal with minimal distorsion or noise being a decent amp and matching the receiver nicely, correct?

Mirko

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom