Pioneer SCLX75 & SCLX85 Owner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@irvsax - thanks, nice to hear this stuff from someone who has one to play with and can confirm I've got the pros/cons covered.

Going to a dealer demo arranged for tomorrow afternoon to at least see/hear this stuff for myself. Especially since I am completely clueless as to what speakers to buy, given my budget is fairly open ended. The dealer also mentioned I should look at the Onkyo TX-NR 3009/5009 - which if I read correctly earlier in this thread has HDMI passthrough that works with Sky. So for all I know my question might turn out to be academic if I don't end up with a Pioneer - we shall see what happens. :)

Thanks again.

Sounds like a good idea. I dont know much about the Onkyo, but from what i read i think the Onkyo is generally slightly better for music, but not as good for cinema. Saying that, i also heard that Onkyo is cheaper for retaillers to get in and therefore better profit margins to sell.

I do love the pioneer though and would thoroughly recommend it.

I got new KEF Q300 and Q200 to go with the amp, and they sound amazing. For subs, look at BK range.

Had the demo this afternoon. We did the Pioneer with some B&W CM8's first for a Tron blu-ray, quite impressive start. Then we put some music on in 2.0 stereo - it was "ok" but was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

At that point he switched to the Onkyo (same CD track) and I'm afraid it took all of 2 seconds for the Pioneer to fall out of contention - it was like night & day to my ears. Just so much more depth and dimension to the sound. We then went through a procession of front speaker pairs, trying the Spendor A5/A6s (definitely the A6 way ahead of the A5), some Danish things (can't remember name, didn't grab me) and then some PMC 23's. In the end it was the PMC 23 that pipped the Spendor A6 for me, the bass was so tight and importantly for my needs they felt like something I could listen to for an extended period at low/moderate volumes without feeling "assaulted". Yes there were other speakers that grab your attention more that initially make you think "gosh, that must be better", but I remember from demos in the past walking away an hour later and feeling utterly shattered. The PMC's did not give me the impression of doing that, while still providing enough range, detail and very tight bass to impress me.

The center speaker in their range is not ready until the end of the month (apparently this is a new line that only came out six weeks ago) so will go back then to hear it again back in "blu ray" mode.

Thanks folks, I guess I shall now go haunt the Onkyo owners thread with my inevitable new questions, assuming it does not trip up badly on the next demo! Pioneer was certainly my initial preference, based mainly on my memories of when I last looked into this stuff 3-4 years ago (when the Onkyo models at the time had all sorts of overheating issues etc) and the positive reviews for the SC-LX75/85. At the end of the day it does come down to a particular combination sounding right for your own ears and the constraints of the room you are putting them in...

Had the demo this afternoon. We did the Pioneer with some B&W CM8's first for a Tron blu-ray, quite impressive start. Then we put some music on in 2.0 stereo - it was "ok" but was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

At that point he switched to the Onkyo (same CD track) and I'm afraid it took all of 2 seconds for the Pioneer to fall out of contention - it was like night & day to my ears. Just so much more depth and dimension to the sound. We then went through a procession of front speaker pairs, trying the Spendor A5/A6s (definitely the A6 way ahead of the A5), some Danish things (can't remember name, didn't grab me) and then some PMC 23's. In the end it was the PMC 23 that pipped the Spendor A6 for me, the bass was so tight and importantly for my needs they felt like something I could listen to for an extended period at low/moderate volumes without feeling "assaulted". Yes there were other speakers that grab your attention more that initially make you think "gosh, that must be better", but I remember from demos in the past walking away an hour later and feeling utterly shattered. The PMC's did not give me the impression of doing that, while still providing enough range, detail and very tight bass to impress me.

The center speaker in their range is not ready until the end of the month (apparently this is a new line that only came out six weeks ago) so will go back then to hear it again back in "blu ray" mode.

Thanks folks, I guess I shall now go haunt the Onkyo owners thread with my inevitable new questions, assuming it does not trip up badly on the next demo! Pioneer was certainly my initial preference, based mainly on my memories of when I last looked into this stuff 3-4 years ago (when the Onkyo models at the time had all sorts of overheating issues etc) and the positive reviews for the SC-LX75/85. At the end of the day it does come down to a particular combination sounding right for your own ears and the constraints of the room you are putting them in...

I am glad you managed to get to try both of them. At the end of the day the most important thing is what sounds best to you, and its always nice to hear about people who are pleased with what they decide on..

I think the Onkyo is renowned for being best for music, so i am not surprised it impressed more for what you wanted.

Good luck with the rest of your setup... sounds to me like you will be very pleased indeed.

which Onkyo did you demo ?

btw - whats cheapest anyone has seen a SC-LX75 ? 1199 at SSAV is the current deal but wondered if anyone had seen it cheaper

Try RicherSounds, they got me the best price on the '85 but keep an eye also on SSAV clearance, sometimes there are great deals there!

@irvsax - thanks for your kind words and have definitely appreciated your input. It will indeed be interesting to see what I end up with. The problem with not having a fixed budget is it is all too easy to leak upwards... and not really fair to directly compare say a B&W CM8 with the Spendor A6 or PMC Twenty.23!

I still need to hear them in a HT setup when the PMC centre comes in, plus I am undecided between the Twenty.23 which I heard, and the Twenty.24 which I haven't (at least yet, trying to find a solution to that). And the demo I had was with a nice Arcam CD player as input - clearly streaming FLAC through the Onkyo instead is going to be a variable again. So we shall see what shakes out :)

They had the new B&W PV1D as the sub during the HT demo. Can't say I can comment on how it performed as was only briefly we had it on and didn't try an alternative, that will be another variable to consider. Looks pretty in black though :)

@Buckster - it was the Onkyo 5009, but given that we only did pretty low volumes it would be the 3009 I will buy. In the same way that if I was buying Pioneer I would have likely ended up with the LX75 rather than the 85, and put the extra money into the speakers somewhere instead.

You can get the LX-75 for £1139 from UKstocked on Ebay. Steve there is a really helpful guy in my experience so far. He also does a package deal that includes the blu ray player Bdp-lx55.

His price on the LX85 is £1559 which is also pretty low priced I think.

If you need his number I'd be happy to PM it assuming im allowed to do that?

Rob

Think I killed this thread.... Apologies lol

re your post thanks :) I'm going to buy local for a few quid more though if I go with the 75

had a demo today - and I liked both the 75 and 73 - but preferred the 75

sounded very clear and dynamic I was pretty wowed -was only a 2 channel demo though

Lol no probs.. I haven't ordered mine yet.. Still trying to decide on which speakers to purchase

I' m considering buying a LX85 or a new arcam avr600. I know the arcam is a lot more expensive but how does the avr600 compare to a lx85? I use it for both music and movies (50/50).

Halo_master said:
I' m considering buying a LX85 or a new arcam avr600. I know the arcam is a lot more expensive but how does the avr600 compare to a lx85? I use it for both music and movies (50/50).

I had no less than 5 Arcams starting with the 500 replaced 3 times due to mainly over heating then Arcam up-graded me free of charge to the 600! Of which I had replaced once due to ....overheating!!!! Personally I would never buy an Arcam av again, In saying that, they never had any issues with my complaints and always responded positively. Eventually Arcam refunded me the cost of my original 500 and I purchased the LX 85 which in my opinion is way better than the Arcam in all aspects : Music film etc a stunning Amp!
Must add the Arcam also sounded just as good but to many bugs :) hope that helps :))

Just as good? Also in stereo?
I read in reviews that the arcam sounds better than some much more expensive processor and power amp combo' s. It should have audiophile performance (if you should have a good one, without too many popping and clicking, not overheating). Is a proper arcam avr600 without these faults at the same level as a pioneer lx85?

I am asking this because i want to power B&W diamond 804' s and 805' s with a new amp(either arcam or pioneer), these are quite demanding speakers.

Halo_master said:
Just as good? Also in stereo?
I read in reviews that the arcam sounds better than some much more expensive processor and power amp combo' s. It should have audiophile performance (if you should have a good one, without too many popping and clicking, not overheating). Is a proper arcam avr600 without these faults at the same level as a pioneer lx85?

I am asking this because i want to power B&W diamond 804' s and 805' s with a new amp(either arcam or pioneer), these are quite demanding speakers.

I would say better in stereo! & much more control over everything with the pioneer, Can't comment about an Arcam without the ....Errrmmmm issues :) Definately get a demo with both but think about the issues with Arcam I have not had a single problem with the 85 all my arcams started of beautiful but descended into awful!! Check out my comments on the 600 forum. I so wanted to keep the Arcam !

What rack / unit do you guys put your Receivers in ?

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my lx85. Watching blurays i have surround out of my rears yet when i have sky hd on and watch a movie that should be dolby D 5.1 i dont get anything out of my rears which is becoming annoying.

Is this an input issue/settings issue? anyone had this issue? my old amps (yamaha/sony) would automatically pick up it was 5.1 yet its not doing this for me.

thanks in advance for any assistance

How are you connecting your Sky HD to the LX85?

If HDMI only then that's your issue...brain dead Sky don't transmit 5.1 down HDMI.

Shocking I know but that's the deal.

You need to connect a lowly optical cable between the Sky box and any TV/Amp/Receiver to hear 5.1 :(

It's about time Sky got round to updating their kit by sorting the 5.1 HDMI issue and enabling the Ethernet port & discrete on/off codes IMHO.

Would also be nice to have a box that lasts outside its warranty and doesn't have PSU problems! ;)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Glyn. I have both HDMI and optical connected. I get sound via the amp but its completely front heavy. I have the HDMI in (input 6 - dvr/bdr) and optical in input 2. what i notice is that if i take the optical out there is still sound so it must be coming from the HDMI.

How do i force it to take the audio from the optical?

Many thanks

Luke

its ok ive sorted it.

I had assigned the hdmi & optical to the input correctly though i hadnn't used the signal select button to select digital. :facepalm:

found the info in pioneer amp FAQ's.

now a happy chappy :)

Hello

Would a LX85 be a uppgrade in SQ compared to my Onkyo 905?. And is it a HDMI handshake problem with LX85 and "Kuro" KRP 500M and Pioneer BP51?.

I want to upgrade becuase of the lack of HDMI on my Onkyo 905(only 4)

Thanks in advance

PS: sorry for my english

Another quick question for the group. I have tried searching 2.1 music but did not come up with any useful results.
My old Cambridge Audit 640 received had an option for listening to stereo music in 2.1mode where the front right speaker, front left speaker and sub woofer were used.
The receiver would basically split the frequency range and would feed the very low frequencies to the Sub woofer whilst the remaining frequency range was played back by the main speakers.
This mode could be used with sources connected digitally and via analogue connections.

Do the LX85 have a similar playback mode? How do I access it?
Thank you again for your support!

lsegeorge said:
Another quick question for the group. I have tried searching 2.1 music but did not come up with any useful results.
My old Cambridge Audit 640 received had an option for listening to stereo music in 2.1mode where the front right speaker, front left speaker and sub woofer were used.
The receiver would basically split the frequency range and would feed the very low frequencies to the Sub woofer whilst the remaining frequency range was played back by the main speakers.
This mode could be used with sources connected digitally and via analogue connections.

Do the LX85 have a similar playback mode? How do I access it?
Thank you again for your support!

As far as I know the standard 'stereo' mode uses the sub aswel. To access this you just select stereo on the audio settings.

I think this is by pushing the auto/alc etc button on the remote.

Yes it does, just select STEREO for your listening pleasure :smashin:

For my setup this does not work for some reason!
I start from sub woofer (monitor audio silver series) in sleep mode and I play music using the standard stero mode but the sub woofer remains in sleep mode. I have tried some heavy bass music via CD connected using RCA and an HMG stream.

Subwoofer switches on and works fine during 5.1 playback. It also behaves fine during MCACC setup.

Any clues ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom