Pioneer SCLX75 & SCLX85 Owner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any one have AXD 7580 remote to sell? or some can tell me where to buy one?

I lost my one :(

if i can't buy one, I will buy some cheaper compatialbe IR remote and sell my RF adapter (AXX7272) and two IR blaster (ADF7007)。

My next task is to play around with the setup.
I have connected my CD players using analogue cables. I have a Cambridge audio Azur 640C CD player. I have assumed that the DAC of the CD player would be superior to the receivers DAC. I also have the option of connecting via coaxial or optical.

Any opinions on the above??

I'm not familiar with your CD player so cannot comment on the quality of its DAC.However I have done similar trials with my own player (Cyrus CD transport + offboard Cyrus DAC) with the following results:

1. The Cyrus combination gives much better results than connecting the transport directly to the AVR, showing that the Cyrus DAC is the better one, but, hey, for the money, it should be!

2. I generally find that a good quality digital coax cable significantly outperforms an optical cable. The optical cable performs similarly to a basic coax cable.

If you have the cables available I would suggest that you give it a go & see which you prefer in your system...

Last edited:
Hi all

at the moment I have a Pioneer amp which does not have the HDMI inputs, I have linked my oppo 95 BD player to the amp via the multi channel inputs,I am wondering would I hear a difference If I where to upgrade to an amp with HDMI inputs or should I just leave the Oppo to decode the sound. The amp that I have at the moment cost in the region of 3k when new, are the newish SCLX 85 able to compete sonically with the older Pioneer VSA AX10AI I would like to hear from any member who has had both amps.

Hi all

at the moment I have a Pioneer amp which does not have the HDMI inputs, I have linked my oppo 95 BD player to the amp via the multi channel inputs,I am wondering would I hear a difference If I where to upgrade to an amp with HDMI inputs or should I just leave the Oppo to decode the sound. The amp that I have at the moment cost in the region of 3k when new, are the newish SCLX 85 able to compete sonically with the older Pioneer VSA AX10AI I would like to hear from any member who has had both amps.

much different and much more.

oppos does not do any room EQ and channel delay/balance jobs.

The front left and rights are kef Q900 and the centre is kef Q600 c rears are B&W 601 and 2 x jammo ultra 2 subs.

Does everyone use the video conversion on the amp?

I mostly watch sky or Blu-ray and on some things it seems to improve the picture but other times it seems to add 'grain' to the picture. Maybe it's the settings I am using aswel.

I have a Sony hx923 tv.

Any insight into what some modes like 'pure cinema' and 'motion flow' actually do would be great aswel.

Thanks

Wow, I didn't even know it was there :) interested to see what others say, sorry I can't be of any help!

Does everyone use the video conversion on the amp?

I mostly watch sky or Blu-ray and on some things it seems to improve the picture but other times it seems to add 'grain' to the picture. Maybe it's the settings I am using aswel.

I have a Sony hx923 tv.

Any insight into what some modes like 'pure cinema' and 'motion flow' actually do would be great aswel.

Thanks

Pure Cinema- if your display has progressive scan capabilities which it will have if it can handle 720P and 1080P this mode will send the picture as Progressive rather than interlaced i.e. its updating all scan lines in one pass when displaying a picture as opposed to Interlaced which only updates odd-numbered scan lines in one pass, and then even-numbered scan lines in the next.

Pure Motion is used to try and prevent fast motion judder and pixel blocking effects (stair step)

Both these features were originally developed for DVD players and Kuro tv's and adapted to their Bluray players and AVR's

On the 85 the Pure motion is disabled automatically if you have Pure Cinema selected as that already has motion processing built in.

As for seeing grain in some of your media, its down to the source material as some deliberately introduce it to give a more genuine film feel to it rather than the clinical cleanliness of a digitised hi def picture. If you want a really good example of this watch The Hurt Locker bluray.
As for Sky i dont think there is any need to go into the quality of their transmissions as its generally crap IMO

Last edited:
Pure Cinema- if your display has progressive scan capabilities which it will have if it can handle 720P and 1080P this mode will send the picture as Progressive rather than interlaced i.e. its updating all scan lines in one pass when displaying a picture as opposed to Interlaced which only updates odd-numbered scan lines in one pass, and then even-numbered scan lines in the next.

Pure Motion is used to try and prevent fast motion judder and pixel blocking effects (stair step)

Both these features were originally developed for DVD players and Kuro tv's and adapted to their Bluray players and AVR's

On the 85 the Pure motion is disabled automatically if you have Pure Cinema selected as that already has motion processing built in.

As for seeing grain in some of your media, its down to the source material as some deliberately introduce it to give a more genuine film feel to it rather than the clinical cleanliness of a digitised hi def picture. If you want a really good example of this watch The Hurt Locker bluray.
As for Sky i dont think there is any need to go into the quality of their transmissions as its generally crap IMO

Great knowledge... thanks!

Yeah, i think some of their HD channels have some grain, certainly to the background of some of the scenes. Blu-ray however is always better.

Hi , I'm new to this thread as I just got my SCLX85 yesterday. I'm replacing my Arcam AVR600 due to its issues and wanting a change. My receiver position is 7m round the corner to my Pioneer Kuro plasma. When I've swapped out my Arcam to Pioneer receiver the picture on the Kuro is not right having pinks and green emphasis.

Im using a Wireworld Ultraviolet cable so its a good quality cable but I know HDMI cable can be a bit troublesome whetever the price.

Anybody else using 7m + cable with this receiver or could it be a HDMI handshake issue?

Thanks for any input.

Not updated my sig. yet btw.

I have a 7m cable to my TV and a 15m which is fitted with a HDMI through adapter and extended by another 3m to my projector. All cheap stuff - in fact the 3m and adapter came from Asda for about £8 for both.

Your problem could be a handshake issue but before that there are a couple of things you can do/check.

make sure that you are connected to the HDMI 1 output only on the AVR and select that output using the remote - you have a choice of HDMI 1 - 2 or All.
Try HDMI 2 on its own as above
make sure the HDMI plugs are fully inserted at both the TV and AVR
Turn off HDMI control both for the TV and AVR
Turn off Video processing on the AVR
Try a different input on the TV

There really shouldnt be a handshake issue between a Kuro and the 85 unless the cable or plug is damaged, I have found it is quite easy to damage either if you are not careful and have binned about 4 cables so far and have seen the type of problem you describe due to a dodgy cable or plug - I really should stop messing around with my setup :laugh:

Just wondering what audio settings other users recommend for watching a Blu-ray, for example:

1. Auto surround/Optimum/Direct/Whatever?

2. MCACC/no MCACC?

3. THX Cinema/no THX?

What would be the best combination of the above examples?

What else would you include/avoid?

So many options & so little time!

Just wondering what audio settings other users recommend for watching a Blu-ray, for example:

1. Auto surround/Optimum/Direct/Whatever?

2. MCACC/no MCACC?

3. THX Cinema/no THX?

What would be the best combination of the above examples?

What else would you include/avoid?

So many options & so little time!

For bluray i like to stick with the Auto mode to take the exact feed from the bluray which is usually DTS HD or equivalent. I use the codec modes like Pro Logic IIx for pretty much any other source apart from blu-ray to give me a better surround mode.

Personally i like the MCACC with full band phase control on to give an even an rounded sound.

I have been trying out the virtual height recently. For some sources i like it as it seems to 'open up' the sound a bit, but for other things i find it adds a little bit of reverb to create the effect and i dont like it as much.

For bluray i like to stick with the Auto mode to take the exact feed from the bluray which is usually DTS HD or equivalent. I use the codec modes like Pro Logic IIx for pretty much any other source apart from blu-ray to give me a better surround mode.

Personally i like the MCACC with full band phase control on to give an even an rounded sound.

I have been trying out the virtual height recently. For some sources i like it as it seems to 'open up' the sound a bit, but for other things i find it adds a little bit of reverb to create the effect and i dont like it as much.

Thanks for your 'input' (pun intended).

I guess there are no absolute right or wrongs here, it comes down to individual environments & preferences.

In general I prefer to keep processing to a minimum but these AVRS have so much scope it seems a shame not to make full use of their abilities.

I'll try out your settings & see how they work for me...

Thanks for your 'input' (pun intended).

I guess there are no absolute right or wrongs here, it comes down to individual environments & preferences.

In general I prefer to keep processing to a minimum but these AVRS have so much scope it seems a shame not to make full use of their abilities.

I'll try out your settings & see how they work for me...

Very good ;-)

Yeah, i am the same. This is the main reason i am not sure about the front height thing. If i do use any of the added processing i always have it on the minimum amount.

Very good ;-)

Yeah, i am the same. This is the main reason i am not sure about the front height thing. If i do use any of the added processing i always have it on the minimum amount.

Likewise.

Hi Guys,
Picked up my LX85 at the Bristol Show on Fri, came with free BDPLX55 also - nice!
Quick question re: inputs/connections....I still have an ageing Panny plasma with no HDMI input, only 1 set of component connections via additional component board. Can I connect sky and LX55 via HDMI into LX85 and run 1 set of components out (looking at the back of the LX85 it could be the monitor out) up in to the plasma?

Can you turn and HDMI input in to an component out?.

Thanks
S

Hi Guys,
Picked up my LX85 at the Bristol Show on Fri, came with free BDPLX55 also - nice!
Quick question re: inputs/connections....I still have an ageing Panny plasma with no HDMI input, only 1 set of component connections via additional component board. Can I connect sky and LX55 via HDMI into LX85 and run 1 set of components out (looking at the back of the LX85 it could be the monitor out) up in to the plasma?

Can you turn and HDMI input in to an component out?.

Thanks
S

Sorry but no it wont work as HDMI video cannot be downsampled, however if you can connect the lx55 and the sky to the 85 with component and your TV to the Monitor out component terminals it will work - you will also have to use optical audio for the Sky to get DD.
For the audio on the bluray you can set the video input to component and the audio to hdmi

Thanks Maxwell, just unboxed the bluray lx55 and it doesn't have component video terminals round the back, just HDMI and low end RCA terminals....hmmmm, bit stuck now, with one set of component inputs on the Panny plasma I can't think of how I'm gonna get the bluray connected??

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi... New here as just getting into the world of AV receivers etc. I've pretty much decided to go for a pioneer lx75 (unless you can convince me the lx85 is really that much better) as I've been offered a good deal (pretty much the same as the show price). I'll be paring this with the Apex speaker system which I think cam be a good match but am considering not buying the apex sub and getting the BK monolith instead.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this or and suggestions for alternatives if you have any.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hi... New here as just getting into the world of AV receivers etc. I've pretty much decided to go for a pioneer lx75 (unless you can convince me the lx85 is really that much better) as I've been offered a good deal (pretty much the same as the show price). I'll be paring this with the Apex speaker system which I think cam be a good match but am considering not buying the apex sub and getting the BK monolith instead.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this or and suggestions for alternatives if you have any.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

For me the LX75 is excellent, and unless you need the extra power or RF remote of the LX85 i cant see there is any difference in audio quality.

I dont have a monolith, but a friend of mine just got one, and its VERY impressive. Not only is it powerful, but it has wonderful control and fills the room with sound but not in a loud and boomy way. I have read a review comparing it in quality to a sub that cost 2k!

There are many many threads on here about BK, and almost universally people say they offer incredible value for money compared to anything else in their price range and often anything above it aswel.

Hi , I'm new to this thread as I just got my SCLX85 yesterday. I'm replacing my Arcam AVR600 due to its issues and wanting a change. My receiver position is 7m round the corner to my Pioneer Kuro plasma. When I've swapped out my Arcam to Pioneer receiver the picture on the Kuro is not right having pinks and green emphasis.

Im using a Wireworld Ultraviolet cable so its a good quality cable but I know HDMI cable can be a bit troublesome whetever the price.

Anybody else using 7m + cable with this receiver or could it be a HDMI handshake issue?

Thanks for any input.

Not updated my sig. yet btw.

Thanks a lot for that input. It turns out that its one of the Kuro's HDMI sockets that's at fault and it must have blown on the transition of receivers as it was fine before I swapped them. I'll test things of further tomorrow on the other Kuro HDMI socket and hope that doesn't blow too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom