Pioneer SCLX75 & SCLX85 Owner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now they're available, who's got one, who's getting one, and who's got a problem!

I'll be ordering mine as soon as I get back off holiday to replace my 83, then I'll comment on the differences :)

SCLX75 £1499
5715770057_9693121e2e_o.jpg

Full HD Audio Decoding
9.1 Channels / 11.2 Channel Pre-Outs
180wpc IR DirectFET Digital Amplification
7x HDMI in / 2x HDMI out (V1.4a, 3D & ARC)
HDMI Passthrough
1080p / 24fps Conversion
Stream Smoother Processing
Triple Video Noise Reduction
Advanced Video Adjust
Sound Retriever Air
MCCACC Advanced Room Calibration
Air Studios Tuned
THX Select 2 Plus Certification
Dolby Pro-Logic IIz Speaker Output
DTS Neo X
Bluetooth Ready (via AS-BT200)
Digital iPod USB Connection
iPhone / iPad Compatibility
iControlAV2 Control App
RS232 Control
32 bit DAC
PC File Playback @192/24
FLAC Support @192/24
Apple Lossless Support
Apple AirPlay Compatible
AirJam
DNLA Compatible (V1.5)
Windows & Certification
PQLS Bitstream Multi-Channel
Jitter Reduction Plus
Full band Phase Control
Internet Radio
IP Control
IR in / out
Control in / out
2x 12v Triggers
Firmware Update via USB / Internet
C4 / AMX / Crestron / Savant Control
Discrete Commands For Audio Settings
Illuminated Learning Remote Control
Optional RF Remote Control (CU-RF100)
Wireless LAN Included
On Screen Display
AV Navigator Set Up
Zone 3 Line Level Out
Aluminium Front panel

SCLX85 £1999
5715770003_abf062ae57_o.jpg

As SCLX75 plus:
190wpc
32bit Hi-Bit Processing / 96 kHz Hi-Sampling
7.1 Multi-Channel Output
Component Video Zone 2 Output
RF Remote Control with OEL Display Included
THX Ultra 2 Plus Certification
Precision Distance Set Up

Both will be fully controllable by the mega-snazzy free iControlAV2 App:
5715770311_e44ae48d5e_m.jpg
5715770217_47a0aa45c7_m.jpg
5716333258_e9f37449be_m.jpg

Last edited:
Be interested to know the outcome of a comparison between the LX85, Onk 3009 and Yamaha Aventage 3010 ;)

Now they're available, who's got one, who's getting one, and who's got a problem!

I'll be ordering mine as soon as I get back off holiday to replace my 83, then I'll comment on the differences :)

Worth editing the title to include the LX55 as well? :)

Dav1dF said:

Will you be selling your LX83? Will be interested if so.

I am thinking of getting one. Can't decide between them. Seems a big difference in price between them. What more does the SCLX85 have to offer?

mikeclark007 said:
Worth editing the title to include the LX55 as well? :)

The 75 and 85 use the DirectFET digital amplification, whereas the 55 is normal Class A/B, so I wouldn't usually incorporate the 55 into any conversations in connection with the 75 and 85. I suppose any menu/setup questions about the 55 can be asked, as this will be the same :)

Dav1dF said:
Mine is 'reserved' for an AVF member already, and has been for months! Sorry :(

No problem mate.

Is there a comparison anywhere between the 83 and 85 and more importantly what is driving you to upgrade apart from it being a new toy!

Steve

Mine is 'reserved' for an AVF member already, and has been for months! Sorry :(
Hi David what has made you choose the pioneer i know you use to be a real fan of the yamaha amps where you not tempted with the new top end yamahas

creative-av said:
No problem mate.

Is there a comparison anywhere between the 83 and 85 and more importantly what is driving you to upgrade apart from it being a new toy!

Steve

I can probably add a 73/83 vs 75/85 comparison, but not until I'm back at work next week, as I have all the info there. Stay tuned!

creative-av said:
.... and more importantly what is driving you to upgrade apart from it being a new toy!

Steve

Gboardman1959 said:
Hi David what has made you choose the pioneer i know you use to be a real fan of the yamaha amps where you not tempted with the new top end yamahas

I used to, and still do, love the aha aha soundfields. Not just the unique DSP modes, but also the standard modes too, and the convincingly large soundstages they create. It's not that I've gone off Yamaha, it's just that I find the Pioneer sound more to my liking. If you have a bright sounding speaker package, the Yamaha will work really well in taming it, and softening the hard edges.

I changed to the 82 originally. I was using an RXV3800, which is an excellent receiver, but it wasn't driving my speaker package properly, which I'd always known, but I was getting bored with the sound I had, as my speakers - usually liked because of their precise and punchy sound - were sounding dull and lacking dynamically. I didn't really think any £2k receiver was going to drive them properly, but I had a chance to try the 82, so did so. It completely transformed my system. My speakers suddenly sounded exactly how they should sound (they usually sound their best with a £4-5k AV receiver), and were suddenly singing again, with a nice sharp edge, plenty of detail, and none of the softness that they wouldn't have. I then changed to the 83, and after what I've been told about the 85 by Pioneer, I'll be changing to that. The 82 and 83 use B&O's digital ICE amplification, which has many benefits, and for AV sounds how I want it to sound. The newer 85 uses a DirectFET digital amplifier, which Pioneer claim sounds noticably better! I'm very happy with what I have now, but I do like the iControlAV2 app, and the fact that the 85 can stream FLAC HD (I'll be putting all my CD's onto HDD's over the coming months), and the promise of better amplification....

It's all a matter of priorities and preferences, but I don't feel the need to spend any more on an AV receiver. I know the £4-5k receivers sound better, but at the moment, they're not up to date, so I'll not part with that sort of cash until they are. Even then, I think I'd be more than happy with what I'll have. I seem to be wanting a high end hi-fi system at the moment, something that will last me. This may get integrated into my AV system yet, I don't know, but when you have something like KEF Reference, or Blades, it's a shame not to use them for AV too and get the most out of them.

I would have looked at the new Yamahas, but with them being Class A/B, I know it'll sound softer than what I'm looking for. That's not a drawback as such, but in my room, and with my speakers, I can't trust another £2k receiver to drive them unless they're using digital amplification. I know the DSPZ11 drives them extremely well, but it's out of my price bracket - and discontinued. Once my hi-fi system is sorted, I'll then look at how to integrate my AV into it - the 85 will probably remain, unless I need balanced XLR outputs.

As I said, the Yamahas are fantastic amps, and they'd be first choice for me if I needed something a little more laid back than I do now.

I used to, and still do, love the aha aha soundfields. Not just the unique DSP modes, but also the standard modes too, and the convincingly large soundstages they create. It's not that I've gone off Yamaha, it's just that I find the Pioneer sound more to my liking. If you have a bright sounding speaker package, the Yamaha will work really well in taming it, and softening the hard edges.

I changed to the 82 originally. I was using an RXV3800, which is an excellent receiver, but it wasn't driving my speaker package properly, which I'd always known, but I was getting bored with the sound I had, as my speakers - usually liked because of their precise and punchy sound - were sounding dull and lacking dynamically. I didn't really think any £2k receiver was going to drive them properly, but I had a chance to try the 82, so did so. It completely transformed my system. My speakers suddenly sounded exactly how they should sound (they usually sound their best with a £4-5k AV receiver), and were suddenly singing again, with a nice sharp edge, plenty of detail, and none of the softness that they wouldn't have. I then changed to the 83, and after what I've been told about the 85 by Pioneer, I'll be changing to that. The 82 and 83 use B&O's digital ICE amplification, which has many benefits, and for AV sounds how I want it to sound. The newer 85 uses a DirectFET digital amplifier, which Pioneer claim sounds noticably better! I'm very happy with what I have now, but I do like the iControlAV2 app, and the fact that the 85 can stream FLAC HD (I'll be putting all my CD's onto HDD's over the coming months), and the promise of better amplification....

It's all a matter of priorities and preferences, but I don't feel the need to spend any more on an AV receiver. I know the £4-5k receivers sound better, but at the moment, they're not up to date, so I'll not part with that sort of cash until they are. Even then, I think I'd be more than happy with what I'll have. I seem to be wanting a high end hi-fi system at the moment, something that will last me. This may get integrated into my AV system yet, I don't know, but when you have something like KEF Reference, or Blades, it's a shame not to use them for AV too and get the most out of them.

I would have looked at the new Yamahas, but with them being Class A/B, I know it'll sound softer than what I'm looking for. That's not a drawback as such, but in my room, and with my speakers, I can't trust another £2k receiver to drive them unless they're using digital amplification. I know the DSPZ11 drives them extremely well, but it's out of my price bracket - and discontinued. Once my hi-fi system is sorted, I'll then look at how to integrate my AV into it - the 85 will probably remain, unless I need balanced XLR outputs.

As I said, the Yamahas are fantastic amps, and they'd be first choice for me if I needed something a little more laid back than I do now.
I'm looking at purchasing the B&W CM8 or CM9 speaker package i'm thinking the Yamahas will be a better match with these speakers but i could be wrong i will have to wait to get a demo

Gboardman1959 said:
I'm looking at purchasing the B&W CM8 or CM9 speaker package i'm thinking the Yamahas will be a better match with these speakers but i could be wrong i will have to wait to get a demo

The CM8's and 9's are excellent speakers, and I think because of the forward, detailed nature of the Pioneer, the CM9's will probably sound better as they have a slightly warmer, fuller sound. But, if you want more of what the Pioneer is all about, the CM8, with it's leaner, more midrange/treble orientated sound, might be what you're after. Yes, a demo is always advised - there's also the Monitor Audio RX8's and KEF Q900's as worthy opponents too... :)

After 2yrs of a nightmare with Arcam receivers my Pioneer LX 85 has arrived :) Will be collecting & setting up Asap.

The SC-LX85 has been reserved for me right now ;)
Just waiting now till it's arrives :) Looking forward to it :)

And I am looking forward to your comparison David !

stuart102a said:
I have it :D:D:clap::clap:;);)

When are the pictures being posted? I am very intrested in your first impression :)
Could you please upload the manuals which you've received with the SC-LX85 on the CD/DVD ?
Because those are not yet available on the European Pioneer website.

Last edited:
Give me a chance!! ;-) 1st problem skyhd box ! Can't get DDigital sound!!! probably me :( my dealer is coming around tomorrow to set it up proper ! I know I'm pathetic Pics ASAP

As long as the Sky box output is set to DD, that will be fine. On the receiver, set the HDMI control to off.

I've tried that:( No luck as yet:mad: Dealer coming around it's sure to be me:rolleyes: I'm just getting stereo but for some reason on another input I'm getting the sound in DD but know picture:eek:

When are the pictures being posted? I am very intrested in your first impression :)
Could you please upload the manuals which you've received with the SC-LX85 on the CD/DVD ?
Because those are not yet available on the European Pioneer website.

I've tried uploading the pdf but it won't let me:eek: Keeps saying something about certificates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom