Pioneer SCLX75 & SCLX85 Owner's Thread *Part 2*

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discussion continued from here!

I have the chance to get a SCLX85 for £999.99. It seems a good price for this amp, more than half the original RRP, but I am also looking at the Onkyo tx-nr818 and the Yamaha RX-a2010/3010 which would both be cheaper, so still undecided. Can any SCLX85 owners advise?

Hi,

Is anyone using the Harmony Touch with their LX-85? I cannot get the Remote to Switch to the correct AV Input when using activities. I can fix the issue by selecting Help on the remote which then selects the configured input.

I've put a delay of 15 seconds for the receiver to boot up but this doesn't seem to help.

I have the chance to get a SCLX85 for £999.99. It seems a good price for this amp, more than half the original RRP, but I am also looking at the Onkyo tx-nr818 and the Yamaha RX-a2010/3010 which would both be cheaper, so still undecided. Can any SCLX85 owners advise?

2 questions for you:
What speakers & configuration are you planning on using?
&
What's you main pleasure, films or music?

Hi,

Is anyone using the Harmony Touch with their LX-85? I cannot get the Remote to Switch to the correct AV Input when using activities. I can fix the issue by selecting Help on the remote which then selects the configured input.

I've put a delay of 15 seconds for the receiver to boot up but this doesn't seem to help.

FYI I am using a Harmony 900 which works okay with the default settings.

I have a 7.1 speaker setup. When using MCACC it says in the manual to select your speaker setup prior to starting MCACC.
I am not bi-amping or bi-wiring and have no zone 2 speaker setup.
Which speaker setup should I select?
Leave it at the default for 9.2 or change to 7.1 with zone 2 speakers?

Thanks in advance, John

I have a 7.1 speaker setup. When using MCACC it says in the manual to select your speaker setup prior to starting MCACC.
I am not bi-amping or bi-wiring and have no zone 2 speaker setup.
Which speaker setup should I select?
Leave it at the default for 9.2 or change to 7.1 with zone 2 speakers?

Thanks in advance, John

I had a similar problem in that my setup was not listed amongst the options.

I asked Pioneer Support about this & they said to leave it at the default setting: when you run the MCACC it will correctly identify which speakers are present & calibrate accordingly.

This worked okay for me.

2 questions for you:
What speakers & configuration are you planning on using?
&
What's you main pleasure, films or music?

Hi, I have two Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers on the way for the front left and right, and a B&W PV1 sub. I will get an Apex A40 centre in the future when funds allow. For rears, I have some Kef 3005SE speakers which I may use short term, or I may not bother with rears until I can get another couple of A10s as I'd prefer the same speaker all the way around.

The system will primarily be for movies and PS3 gaming, but I have chosen the Apex as I know they are good with music as well. I would probably listen to music by plugging my ipod into the av receiver or via Airplay/DNLA.

For receivers I am considering the Pioneer SCLX85 (too bright with Apex?), Yamaha RX-A2010 and the Onkyo TX-NR818. I know the least about the Pioneer of the 3 as it was previously too expensive, so I hadn't considered it, but it can be bought for only slightly more than the other 2 receivers now.

Hello there,

I have the SC-56, bought it 2 days ago, am assuming that the 75/85 work the same way so posting my issue here:

I'm trying to assign OPT-2 to the BD/DVR HDMI input but here is what the issue. When the HDMI cable is connected with the source on (PC in this case, connected via DVI - > HDMI Converter) , the sound stops. If I disconnect the HDMI cable, i'm able to get sound from the optical input. I've tried numerous configurations but looks like the amp expects sound from the HDMI cable even though I've assigned it to OPT-2 in the setup.

any ideas/suggestions?

Hi

One small issue i have with this Amp is the brightness of the Display Panel and LED lights, is there any way these can be dimmed? Its really disturbing when watching a movie in the dark and you can hide it behind a cabinet etc

Some assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

One small issue i have with this Amp is the brightness of the Display Panel and LED lights, is there any way these can be dimmed? Its really disturbing when watching a movie in the dark and you can hide it behind a cabinet etc

Some assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

On the remote, slide down the cover at the lower end.

There is a button marked 'DIMMER'. Just cycle through that until you get the level that you want...

Skyrider said:
On the remote, slide down the cover at the lower end.

There is a button marked 'DIMMER'. Just cycle through that until you get the level that you want...

Small detail, Big difference to the overall enjoyment.

Thanks mate!

Hello there,

I have the SC-56, bought it 2 days ago, am assuming that the 75/85 work the same way so posting my issue here:

I'm trying to assign OPT-2 to the BD/DVR HDMI input but here is what the issue. When the HDMI cable is connected with the source on (PC in this case, connected via DVI - > HDMI Converter) , the sound stops. If I disconnect the HDMI cable, i'm able to get sound from the optical input. I've tried numerous configurations but looks like the amp expects sound from the HDMI cable even though I've assigned it to OPT-2 in the setup.

any ideas/suggestions?
Hi there , try switching by the remote the signal sel button.If it does not work , i think the HDMI overrules the optical connection.I hope i helped you.:hiya:

Hi There from Greece.
My name is Cris and 3 months ago i purchased a Pioneer SC-LX75 Receiver.
I have mentioned this in that thread before.That amp replaced my Old SONY STR DB 840 QS which was that:

Google

I am quite pleased from that amp but i have some questions for you.
Please help me because i like that amp very much and i want to get a 100% satisfaction because the 1300 Euros that i payed are big amount of money nowadays.
My set up to help you is the following:

TV: PIONEER *KURO* PDP 428XD
BLUE RAY PLAYER: PIONEER BDP-51FD
HD DVD RECORDER: PIONEER DVR LX 60
MEDIA PLAYER: PopCorn Hour A300
AV AMPLIFIER: Pioneer SC-LX75
CD PLAYER:SONY CDP-XB 930 QS
CD-RECORDER: PIONEER PDR-509
GAME CONSOLE: PS2
FRONT SPEAKERS:B&W 603 S3
CENTER SPEAKER:LCR 60 S3
SURROUND SPEAKERS:ROISTER STATUS
SUBWOOFER: MONITOR AUDIO RS W12
TURNABLE:TECHNICS SL 1200 MK2 With GRADO PRESTIGE SILVER Head
HDMI CABLES:VAN DEN HUL , AUDIOQUEST
SPEAKER CABLES:QED Anniversary XT
SCART CABLE:IXOS
SAT/MPEG4 DVB-T COMBO Receiver: DREAMBOX DM 7020HD
ZONE 2 (GARDEN) SPEAKERS: POLK AUDIO AW-12

You can see photos of my Play Room from a previous post in the Members Photo Gallery here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/17878189-post14.html

Note please that all the comparisons between the Sony & the Pioneer are with the same speakers , same room e.t.c

So let's start:

1.After opening the box and installing it i connected the Amp with my new Cables Silver Anniversary XT via the Bi-Amp Method for the Fronts because they told me it is a better way than the single one.
At first i have to say that the 9*140 watts per channel are not so real (in my opinion),the Sony was more powerfull.I have to turn the volume to -10 db to have the level i had with the Sony at half volume 12 o'clock. How do you explain that?
2.I ran the MCAAC calibration and the sound i took it was not good (for that price amp).The Sony was FOR THE MOMENT still better.Please note that in sony i had not adjusted anything (as it was out of the box 11 years back).
The Stereo experience suffered there.The Sony was better there.
BUT! In movie sound the Pionner IS PERFECT!!!!! Much better that the Sony.I think that has also to do with the fact that amp decodes all the new Stuff like Dolby True HD,DTS HD Master Audio e.t.c that the Sony DIDN'T.
But still in audio NOT EXCITED!!
3.After that stage i called 2 experts that are ISF-HAA certified custom installers.They came 3 days ago and the were in my home for 2,5 hours.They heard the sound by playing the Moulin Rouge Blu Ray and the told me that this was not right.They told me that in stereo the more problem there is and in movies a smaller problem they have to face.
After that they ran an Mcaac measurement using amp's mic and they did not take good results.So they started taking measuremnts with the Manual MCAAC using their own BIG Professional Mic.They set the left front speaker at 85db as reference at +3db.After that the set all the rest according to the reference speaker (Front Left).
By finishing adjusting the levels , they continued by setting the EQ for each speaker.
They also set the distances by measuring the space between myself and the speakers manual by using a meter.
I must not forget to tell you that my speakers even they are big were set to Small and the XOVER (Sub) at 80HZ.Please note here that i advised them to set LPF at my Sub in Out Position (i mean the frequency here won't be affected by the sub and the Job will be done by the Amp. Am i right here?)
When everything was finished the sound was more powerfull , i think that is why we set the levels +3 or even +4 db in order to have the 85DB reference when setting the volume at 0db on the Amp.Is that Right? Do you agree?
As a result now , the sound was muchhhhh better in the movies (50% more satisfaction) , in the audio small difference (10% more satisfaction).
The dialogues from Moulin Rouge now APPEARED.I heard things that i have never heard before.Sometimes the dialogues are too Loud but according to these experts the Center Channel is the most useful speaker of the set.Is that right for you?
Ass for the setting about the Sub , i mentioned earlier that i turned off the frequency cut at the Sub and now the job is done by the AV's ability.Another technician that had come earlier for the TV he turned that on also.So in that case 2 frequency controllers were working??? That is wrong don't you agree?
Anyway that is right now and i enjoy the sub.
4.During the manual procedure set up by the experts i mentioned above , all the settings i saved them to MCAAC memory 1.
That setting has the adjustment about the phase control or full band phase control?
Must i ran an mcaac again?
If i do it the settings that were made by the men above will be lost.Right? What should i do?
The setting above was perfect for movies as i told you before but for music still is not satisfying.
The SONY was still better in music even after the calibration of the Pioneer.
Sometimes i thing it has to do with the setting of big/small speakers for the front because in Sony were declared as Large.
Can i make another MCAAC setting in another momory but in that having the fronts as Large without affecting the first memory?
I don't want to lose or destroy the setting that was made before.I paid 150 euros for their visit.
I am totally mixed.I think sometimes that these amps aren't for music , or better they are 80% for movies & 20% for music even this is Air Studios Certified.
The problem with the Audio is that the music is not alive , for example it is someting like a curtain is front of the speakers and in movies is taken away.
The problem is a bit solved when i turn on the Sound Retriever function but i think it's not right.This is there for mp3 or other compressed files that some of the original information is lost during the compression.Right?
Sometimes i think this is a cables problem but these cables play for movies and sound great.
Please help me because here in Greece except for the few people there are not dedicated professionals for these things and NOONE knows well the abilities of the SC-LX75 Receiver that i own.
Last thing is that as i was watchig the Amplifier from close is that i saw a small build problem that in the right side is not perfectly assembled but this not important , just to mention.

Sorry for the big post but i wanted to inform you as good as i can.
Thank you & I am waiting your answers!
Cris Donopoulos
Greece
ps:Here is a photo of the right side that is not perfectly assembled.

And next is the picture of the left side which is perfectly assembled.

Attachments

• image-2222545835.jpg
    image-2222545835.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 265
  • image-558722467.jpg
    image-558722467.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Hi There from Greece.
My name is Cris and 3 months ago i purchased a Pioneer SC-LX75 Receiver.
I have mentioned this in that thread before.That amp replaced my Old SONY STR DB 840 QS which was that:

Google

I am quite pleased from that amp but i have some questions for you.
Please help me because i like that amp very much and i want to get a 100% satisfaction because the 1300 Euros that i payed are big amount of money nowadays.
My set up to help you is the following:

TV: PIONEER *KURO* PDP 428XD
BLUE RAY PLAYER: PIONEER BDP-51FD
HD DVD RECORDER: PIONEER DVR LX 60
MEDIA PLAYER: PopCorn Hour A300
AV AMPLIFIER: Pioneer SC-LX75
CD PLAYER:SONY CDP-XB 930 QS
CD-RECORDER: PIONEER PDR-509
GAME CONSOLE: PS2
FRONT SPEAKERS:B&W 603 S3
CENTER SPEAKER:LCR 60 S3
SURROUND SPEAKERS:ROISTER STATUS
SUBWOOFER: MONITOR AUDIO RS W12
TURNABLE:TECHNICS SL 1200 MK2 With GRADO PRESTIGE SILVER Head
HDMI CABLES:VAN DEN HUL , AUDIOQUEST
SPEAKER CABLES:QED Anniversary XT
SCART CABLE:IXOS
SAT/MPEG4 DVB-T COMBO Receiver: DREAMBOX DM 7020HD
ZONE 2 (GARDEN) SPEAKERS: POLK AUDIO AW-12

You can see photos of my Play Room from a previous post in the Members Photo Gallery here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/17878189-post14.html

Note please that all the comparisons between the Sony & the Pioneer are with the same speakers , same room e.t.c

So let's start:

1.After opening the box and installing it i connected the Amp with my new Cables Silver Anniversary XT via the Bi-Amp Method for the Fronts because they told me it is a better way than the single one.
At first i have to say that the 9*140 watts per channel are not so real (in my opinion),the Sony was more powerfull.I have to turn the volume to -10 db to have the level i had with the Sony at half volume 12 o'clock. How do you explain that?
2.I ran the MCAAC calibration and the sound i took it was not good (for that price amp).The Sony was FOR THE MOMENT still better.Please note that in sony i had not adjusted anything (as it was out of the box 11 years back).
The Stereo experience suffered there.The Sony was better there.
BUT! In movie sound the Pionner IS PERFECT!!!!! Much better that the Sony.I think that has also to do with the fact that amp decodes all the new Stuff like Dolby True HD,DTS HD Master Audio e.t.c that the Sony DIDN'T.
But still in audio NOT EXCITED!!
3.After that stage i called 2 experts that are ISF-HAA certified custom installers.They came 3 days ago and the were in my home for 2,5 hours.They heard the sound by playing the Moulin Rouge Blu Ray and the told me that this was not right.They told me that in stereo the more problem there is and in movies a smaller problem they have to face.
After that they ran an Mcaac measurement using amp's mic and they did not take good results.So they started taking measuremnts with the Manual MCAAC using their own BIG Professional Mic.They set the left front speaker at 85db as reference at +3db.After that the set all the rest according to the reference speaker (Front Left).
By finishing adjusting the levels , they continued by setting the EQ for each speaker.
They also set the distances by measuring the space between myself and the speakers manual by using a meter.
I must not forget to tell you that my speakers even they are big were set to Small and the XOVER (Sub) at 80HZ.Please note here that i advised them to set LPF at my Sub in Out Position (i mean the frequency here won't be affected by the sub and the Job will be done by the Amp. Am i right here?)
When everything was finished the sound was more powerfull , i think that is why we set the levels +3 or even +4 db in order to have the 85DB reference when setting the volume at 0db on the Amp.Is that Right? Do you agree?
As a result now , the sound was muchhhhh better in the movies (50% more satisfaction) , in the audio small difference (10% more satisfaction).
The dialogues from Moulin Rouge now APPEARED.I heard things that i have never heard before.Sometimes the dialogues are too Loud but according to these experts the Center Channel is the most useful speaker of the set.Is that right for you?
Ass for the setting about the Sub , i mentioned earlier that i turned off the frequency cut at the Sub and now the job is done by the AV's ability.Another technician that had come earlier for the TV he turned that on also.So in that case 2 frequency controllers were working??? That is wrong don't you agree?
Anyway that is right now and i enjoy the sub.
4.During the manual procedure set up by the experts i mentioned above , all the settings i saved them to MCAAC memory 1.
That setting has the adjustment about the phase control or full band phase control?
Must i ran an mcaac again?
If i do it the settings that were made by the men above will be lost.Right? What should i do?
The setting above was perfect for movies as i told you before but for music still is not satisfying.
The SONY was still better in music even after the calibration of the Pioneer.
Sometimes i thing it has to do with the setting of big/small speakers for the front because in Sony were declared as Large.
Can i make another MCAAC setting in another momory but in that having the fronts as Large without affecting the first memory?
I don't want to lose or destroy the setting that was made before.I paid 150 euros for their visit.
I am totally mixed.I think sometimes that these amps aren't for music , or better they are 80% for movies & 20% for music even this is Air Studios Certified.
The problem with the Audio is that the music is not alive , for example it is someting like a curtain is front of the speakers and in movies is taken away.
The problem is a bit solved when i turn on the Sound Retriever function but i think it's not right.This is there for mp3 or other compressed files that some of the original information is lost during the compression.Right?
Sometimes i think this is a cables problem but these cables play for movies and sound great.
Please help me because here in Greece except for the few people there are not dedicated professionals for these things and NOONE knows well the abilities of the SC-LX75 Receiver that i own.
Last thing is that as i was watchig the Amplifier from close is that i saw a small build problem that in the right side is not perfectly assembled but this not important , just to mention.

Sorry for the big post but i wanted to inform you as good as i can.
Thank you & I am waiting your answers!
Cris Donopoulos
Greece
ps:Here is a photo of the right side that is not perfectly assembled.

And next is the picture of the left side which is perfectly assembled.
No answer at all?
Please help if someone knows something.

does anyone know if you can send HDMI audio/visual to zone 2 / 3 on these amps?

disheartened to know that my amp doesnt do it.

Hi i have Mission M35 speakers and a few yrs ago had a Pioneer AX5i reciever which sounded lovely with these speakers then i upgraded to a Denon avr 4310 and while the features are brilliant i dont feel it sounds a good as the old Pioneer i had so would getting a LX 75 be better?

Hi,

I have a 5.1 Setup with floorstanders as my fronts and rears. MA RS8 2 X Fronts and MA RS5 2 x Rears with a large centre and subwoofer.

I have bi-amped the fronts therefore have the receiver setup as:
5.1ch Bi-Amp+Zone 2
Front : Bi-Amp
Center : Normal
Surr : Normal
Zone2 : Normal​

I previously had all the speakers setup as the following with all the Bass coming out of the Sub.
Sw : Yes
Front : Small
Center : Small
Surr : Small
My Subwoofer stopped working for a while so i disconnected the sub and changed the settings to:
Sw : No
Front : Large
Center : Small
Surr : Small​

I never heard my floorstanders sound so good and wondering why i'm using a sub.

Now i have my subwoofer working again, I've left it configured as:
Sw : Plus
Front : Large
Center : Large
Surr : Large​

I don't really know what settings i should use with my setup.

Can someone tell me if the LX 75 or LX 85 will put the volume setting on the tv? I have a 608d Kuro?

Really thinking about getting one of these amps

Hi, I have two Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers on the way for the front left and right, and a B&W PV1 sub. I will get an Apex A40 centre in the future when funds allow. For rears, I have some Kef 3005SE speakers which I may use short term, or I may not bother with rears until I can get another couple of A10s as I'd prefer the same speaker all the way around.

The system will primarily be for movies and PS3 gaming, but I have chosen the Apex as I know they are good with music as well. I would probably listen to music by plugging my ipod into the av receiver or via Airplay/DNLA.

For receivers I am considering the Pioneer SCLX85 (too bright with Apex?), Yamaha RX-A2010 and the Onkyo TX-NR818. I know the least about the Pioneer of the 3 as it was previously too expensive, so I hadn't considered it, but it can be bought for only slightly more than the other 2 receivers now.

I'd personally go for the yamaha. The pioneer gives you better speaker configuration options but sonically is not any 'better'.

Sorry for the late reply.

wher can you get it for that price - i might be interested

Dr Evilest said:
The sclx85 does on my samsung tv, if I turn hdmi control on.

Yes it will. My LX75 does it on my KURO 428XD

Do you just connect the hdmi lead to the screen? What other settings are needed. I ask as my denon you just connect the hdmi and it works without hdmi control on

marklintonarnol said:
Do you just connect the hdmi lead to the screen? What other settings are needed. I ask as my denon you just connect the hdmi and it works without hdmi control on

You connect the HDMI OUTPUT (1or2) to the TV but turn the HDMI CONTROL ON.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom