Pioneer SCLX56 Owner's Thread

Blu-rayx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have one on order due for delivery next week :)

Anyone thinking of getting one?

Pioneer SCLX56.jpg

›› Channels: 9
›› Amplification Type:NEW Class D3 (Direct Energy HD)
›› 720 W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 8 ohms)
›› 210 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 4 ohms)
›› 170 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 1 % @ 6 ohms)
›› 130 W/ch (1 kHz, THD 0.08 % @ 8 ohms)
CONSTRUCTION DESIGN
›› Advanced Direct Construction
›› Rigid Trans-Stabilizer
›› Insulated Dual Chassis

AUDIO FEATURES
›› THX® Select2 Plus Certified
›› Dolby® TrueHD/Dolby Pro Logic IIz/Dolby Digital Plus
›› DTS-HD® Master Audio/DTS-ES/DTS Neo:X
›› Digital Core Engine with Texas Instruments Aureus™ DSP
›› Hi-bit32 Audio Signal Processing/192 kHz/32-bit DAC
›› HDMI® Audio Return Channel
›› Pioneer Advanced MCACC Room Calibration
• 3D Time Axis Measurement
• Polarity Check
• Automatic Crossover Setting
• Reverb Before and After Calibration Results (OSD or AVNavigator)
• Standing Wave Control
›› Pioneer Sound Enhancements
• Full Band Phase Control/Auto Phase Control Plus
• PQLS Bit-stream/Multi-Surround/2 ch Audio
• Jitter Reduction
• Auto Sound Retriever/Auto Sound Retriever for ARC
• Sound Retriever AIR
• Sound Retriever Link
• Auto Level Control (Multi-Channel)
• Advanced Surround (15+1 Modes)
• Optimum Surround (Auto Bass, Dialog, and Surround Balancing)
• Virtual Speakers (Wide/Height/Surround Back)
• Virtual Depth

VIDEO FEATURES
›› 4K Pass Through
›› 3D Ready (Blu-ray Disc®, Broadcast and Games)
›› Deep Colour (36-bit) and x.v.Colour
›› 1080p/24fps Scaler with Qdeo™
›› Triple HD Noise Reduction
›› Advanced Video Adjustment
›› Stream Smoother/Stream Smoother Link
›› Frame Rate Conversion (60i/p 24p)

HOME NETWORK FEATURES
›› AirPlay Wireless Audio
›› DLNA Certified® (1.5)
›› Compatible with Windows 7
›› Music File Playback via LAN/USB (WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC)
• 192 kHz/24-bit Music File Playback (FLAC/WAV)
›› Internet Radio with vTuner

CONVENIENCE FEATURES
›› Digital Audio from iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® via USB
›› Android Audio & Video Playback (MHL) Compatible
›› iControlAV2012 Remote Control App Ready (iOS/Android)
• AV Receiver and Blu-ray Disc Player Control from Smartphone
• Sound Explorer
›› Air Jam App Ready (iOS/Android) (Optional AS-BT200 adapter required)
• Share Music and Create Playlists via Bluetooth® Connection
›› Wireless LAN Converter (AS-WL300) included
›› Firmware Upgrade via Internet or USB
›› AVNavigator for Easy Wiring and Setup with PC or iPad
›› Graphic User Interface (GUI) with Album Artwork (HDMI only)
›› Auto Power Down
›› Power Save for HDMI Standby Through
›› AM/FM Tuner 63 Presets
›› Sleep Timer
›› Learning Remote Control (Illumination)
›› RF Remote Control (CU-RF100-U) Ready

FRONT TERMINALS
›› HDMI 1 In (assignable/MHL)
›› USB/iPod Video In
›› MCACC Setup Mic In
›› Phones 1 Out

REAR TERMINALS
›› HDMI 7 In (6 assignable)/2 Out
›› Ethernet 1 In
›› AV (Composite) 4 In/1 Out
›› Audio 1 In (assignable)
›› Digital Coaxial 2 In (assignable)
›› Digital Optical 2 In (assignable)/1 Out
›› Component Video 2 In (assignable)
›› Monitor Component 1 Out/Monitor Composite 1 Out
›› Preout 9.1 ch (11.2 ch terminals)
›› Speaker 11 ch Out (SB/FH/FW/B, FH or FW/B assignable)
›› Bluetooth Adapter Port for AS-BT200
›› USB Charge Port for AS-WL300 Wireless Converter
›› IR 2 In/1 Out
›› 12 V Trigger x 2/RS-232C

ZONE FEATURES
›› ZONE 3 Audio, Volume and Balance
›› ZONE 2 AV (Composite), Subwoofer, Volume, Balance and Tone

SPECFICATIONS
›› Power Requirements: AC 220-230 V, 50/60 Hz
›› Power Consumption: 330 W/0.1 W (Standby)
›› Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 185 x 441 mm
›› Weight: 15.3 kg

Last edited:
I've been considering the Pioneer VSXLX55 for a while, whats the major improvements in the SCLX56?

Last edited:
Thanks - very useful. Would be interest to know what you think of it when you get it.
I'm currently using a rather old but nevertheless I feel quite capable Pioneer VSX-AX3. I was chatting with the guy in Audio-T and he was saying that I would need to go for something of the quality of the of the VSX-LX55 to better the current sound. Very tempted by the SCLX56, bit beyond my budget at the moment though but we shall see...

I've had the pioneer for a few days and I must say I'm very impressed with the sound quality, it has a clean and open airy feel with movies and music.
The pioneer auto setup can sound a bit bright, but the EQ can easily be tweaked . The excellent iPad app also expands the LX56 tweaking options.
I was surprised to find the wireless adaptor included in the box. And I must say it works very well, no problems so far.

Last edited:
This is my first AV amp with internet access and I a bit dense at things such as this..

I have followed the steps in the manual re setting up the wireless router .. I opened my router and turned on the settings for internet radio and used the WPA(?) auto setting for the connection. It had now connected the pioneer wireless router and all three lights on are now lit and the router says the device is found.

However, the next step totally confuses me..

How do I then connect the internet radio stations?

I have tried to get the access code from the amp from the Internet radio menu (folowing the instructions in the manual on page 59) and there is no 'help' menu in that section (this is using the amp from controls as my TV is not directly connected to the amp, it goes through the DVD instead. So... how do I find out the access code from the amp to then set up the account on the Pioneer Vtuner page?

Any help would be appreciated as I am somewhat befuddled to say the least.

Thanks.

This is my first AV amp with internet access and I a bit dense at things such as this..

I have followed the steps in the manual re setting up the wireless router .. I opened my router and turned on the settings for internet radio and used the WPA(?) auto setting for the connection. It had now connected the pioneer wireless router and all three lights on are now lit and the router says the device is found.

However, the next step totally confuses me..

I have tried to get the access code from the amp from the Internet radio menu (folowing the instructions in the manual on page 59) and there is no 'help' menu in that section (this is using the amp from controls as my TV is not directly connected to the amp, it goes through the DVD instead. So... how do I find out the access code from the amp to then set up the account on the Pioneer Vtuner page?

Thanks.

Any luck solving the internet radio problem?

Update regarding the LX56.

After 3 weeks, and another auto setup, my LX56 is now sounding amazing with my Q Acoustics 7000 speakers..
I highly recommend this amp, if anyone is thinking of getting one.

Thanks.

The catalogue of stations should automatically be downloaded and available for selection using the selector ring on the remote. However, I have found this process to be unreliable. I had to power cycle the amp and was able to then access the stations. Access codes are only required if the station you want to tune in is not already on the vTuner database, which the amp downloads on connection to the Internet. (you can check which station are available by looking on the vTuner website)

The process of getting Internet stations for me is unrelable and I have frequently power cycled the amp before being able to access the stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
My LX56 Internet radio works perfectly.

What are the major differences between the 56 retailing at £1299 and the LX86 costing £2100?

They're both 9.2 with a plethora of features. I was looking for a compare option on the Pioneer UK site but couldn't see one. EDIT: Found one. See here.

I wish Pioneer and others would offer a high-quality 5.1 system. How many people who have to integrate these systems into a living room can accommodate 11 speakers? The short answer is they can't so end up paying for things they'll never use. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can see where you are coming from, but the extra channels can be utilised to bi amp your speakers. Last years 7.2 channel receivers allowed you to bi-amp the front left and right speakers ( Vsx2021/sclx55) and the 9.2 channel receivers allowed you to bi amp the front three speakers (sclx75/85).

I also think the extra channels allow you to set up speakers in different zones/rooms in the house, but not entirely sure as I have never done this myself.

Cyrus,

I can see how bi-amping would be useful for some. But it just strikes me that things like a DAB/FM radio are totally redundant in this day and age. Most, if not all of us have access to radio via Sky, Virgin etc.

And we all know that filling a case with all this additional circuitry is not assisting sound quality. But I suppose they're trying to attract as many people as possible so chuck everything in! I'd be much happier if they concentrated on the important things like improved power amps to bring them up to the quality of Arcam et al.

I totally agree with you. For me sound quality is paramount, but the odd little bell and whistle, like AirPlay, is welcome... Well, to me anyway.

I understand your point in regards to how many features do we really need and the question of how much of an affect these extra features have on sound quality. That is one of the reasons why any future auditions I undertake for a new receiver/processor/amp will include efforts from Audiolab, Rotel and Anthem.

Anyway, that's for the future. For now, I'm looking forward to reading/hearing about the new pioneer receivers :) . Let the reviews and comments roll in :)

Last edited:
I understand your point in regards to how many features do we really need and the question of how much of an affect these extra features have on sound quality. That is one of the reasons why any future auditions I undertake for a new receiver/processor/amp will include efforts from Audiolab, Rotel and Anthem.

Funny you should mention Audiolab because I have a 20 year-old 8000P whcih is currently feeding the rear channels due to a hissing problem from the A10SE. I would love to use this in a new system as it would give me excellent quality for the front pair. But it needs a connection point fixing first. I think I might start another thread as this isn't the place really.

Anyway, that's for the future. For now, I'm looking forward to reading/hearing about the new pioneer receivers :) . Let the reviews and comments roll in :)
Lots of folk seem to like the latest offerings. Should be interesting reading how the 56 compares to the 85.

RayP said:
What are the major differences between the 56 retailing at £1299 and the LX86 costing £2100?

They're both 9.2 with a plethora of features. I was looking for a compare option on the Pioneer UK site but couldn't see one. EDIT: Found one. See here.

I wish Pioneer and others would offer a high-quality 5.1 system. How many people who have to integrate these systems into a living room can accommodate 11 speakers? The short answer is they can't so end up paying for things they'll never use. :rolleyes:

The only difference I can see is air studio tuned.

The only difference I can see is air studio tuned.
That makes Air Studio £800. :eek: Some might consider that a tad excessive! :laugh:

I have not been able to find a way to play music with the subwoofer enabled for low frequencies. All modes I have seen use just the front L & R stero speakers. Is this possibe?

The sc lx86 is over 3kg heavier,as it has a insulated chasis,THX ultra2 plus vs select2 plus,a lot higher quality connections at rear & importantly consumes 40w more, a lot for digital power amps. I would also bet even though they both utilise class d3 amps,the sc lx86 will have higher quality components inside.This is all without Air studios monitor tuning.Its even quite a step ahead of the sc lx76. This may not matter to the average user,but anyone with a large room or multi room layout will without doubt benefit from the sc lx86 as a whole. Granted its £800 more,but the speakers to match will cost much more. But the top 4 sc models are very nice multi ch. receivers in pioneers line-up this year.

I have not been able to find a way to play music with the subwoofer enabled for low frequencies. All modes I have seen use just the front L & R stero speakers. Is this possibe?
Try set your sub to plus in speaker set-up menu,or you can set your speakers to small,this way you can send all freq below c/over setting,not just LFE,to your sub. Are your speakers are set to large in first place? or are you only using 2 main fronts...:)

Try set your sub to plus in speaker set-up menu,or you can set your speakers to small,this way you can send all freq below c/over setting,not just LFE,to your sub. Are your speakers are set to large in first place? or are you only using 2 main fronts...:)

Set the sub to plus and now it works ! Thanks.

Hi guys. I recently bought an Lx56 and i must say Im really pleased with it. However when i connect my Samsung Galaxy S2 to the MHL input in the front using the supplied micro USB to HDMI lead my phone freezes and even after unplugging it i have to switch off the phone and restart.. Any help..

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom