1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer/scene selection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JOHNXL1S, May 5, 2005.

1. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am a new member and would like some help please.

Just bought a Pioneer 520H and would like some help when recording to the HD then to the dvd to be showed as a wedding dvd, how do i get chapters in "say four" as in titles, intro.. cake cutting... first dance.. then the montage, to get it to look like a proper dvd one would rent, play movie... scene selection... etc. do i have to wait until i load a blank dvd for the chapter to happen, or can i get it all set-up , preview it then burn it.
    as far as i can see i have to wait until the blank dvd is loaded, is this right, all i want to do is have it looking presentable like a rented dvd.
    if possible a step by step in layman language.
    help really appreciated.
    john.

2. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one know........please

3. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As far as I can figure out, you want a colorful background screen, with special buttons to do 'play movie' 'scenes', etc... I haven't actually used the pioneer ( I'm doing a lot of research, and I'm almost ready to buy!! - I'll be going to see a demo at the weekend, hopefully..)

I currently have the Tosh xs32, and while I was thinking about replacing my aging DVDplayer, I realized that another DVDrecorder would be far better!!

I have downloaded the pioneer manual, and the 'DVD menus' choices are a lot better than some I've seen - but they are restricted by necessity to DVD disc name, title name, and chapter name...

See the part 'Recording - playing recordings on other players' (yes, strange title, but it does explain about creating a menu while finalizing the disc!)

If you want to get a lot more than this, you will have to use a PC - (use a DVDRW from the pioneer as source) there are plenty of DVD-authouring packages about, to give you lots of fancy designs, even including animated thumbnails!

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from Toshiba,no dvd recorders currently allow you to produce chapter menus on a dvd.For this you would need to use a PC burner.

5. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys i already know that ,as foneman says ,

"As far as I can figure out, you want a colorful background screen, with special buttons to do 'play movie' 'scenes', etc..." yes thats what i want"

it can be done on the pioneer, but i can't figure it out, help and a guide would really be appreciated.

thanks
    john

6. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still not sure what you think can be done on the Pioneer :confused:

The Pioneer will not do "a colourful background screen with special buttons to do 'play movie' 'scenes'etc." If you want that you will have to author it on a PC/Mac.

On the Pioneer you have a choice of either authoring it as a single title with (in the example you've quoted) 4 chapters in it - this would give you a menu with a single thumbnail on it or splitting the movie into 4 titles and then authoring the disc from those 4 titles - this would give you a menu with 4 thumbnails on it. You have the choice of splitting the movie and/or adding chapter points in edit mode (i.e. physically changing what is stored on the hdd) or in the playlist (which doesn't physically change what is stored on the hdd). You can preview the playlist (view either the chapter points in the single title or view the 4 titles if you go for that option) but you can't preview the finished dvd (i.e. you can't preview the menu). You don't need to have a blank dvd loaded to do the preview.

I would suggest that you get a dvd-rw and then try authoring a couple of dvd's editing both the original program content and via the playlist to see a) how to do it and b) which gives the best results for you. But obviously test this out on some TV recording rather than the wedding video. I know the manual looks a bit daunting, but once you start editing/authoring it is actually quite good.

7. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much ktng, i think i will get dv-rw and do some practising, one more question, modes.. video mode and vr mode what should i use.
    thanks
    john

8. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need to edit on the HD and then copy across to a video mode DVD.

VR mode is used for editing (on DVD) but is not as compatible (in other machines) as video mode and seeing as it is a wedding video you are obviously giving it to other people.

Regards
    Paul

9. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so it's video mode then ? and i should only use VR mode when editing.
    john

10. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - video on hdd is VR, video on DVD-R is video mode. DVD-RW can be either, but you can only get menus using video mode. So initialise your DVD-RW in video mode to get a normal playable disc (although you won't get a playable disc with menus until you finalise it)

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As he has a 520 why bother with -RW.Copy everything to HDD,edit,then burn to -R.If he burns one for himself he can use Disc Backup at any time in the future to replicate a copy in about 15 minutes

12. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would he want to use -R to do some test discs :confused:

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As he wants to do editing,he should do it on the HDD,not on -RW.His -RW(VR) will not be playable elsewhere.
    Why does he need test discs.
    The finished result is perfectly watchable,and continually editable on the HDD until it is right.Then burn to -R

14. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never suggested using -RW(VR). If you had read my advice it was to do the edits on HDD and then burn to -RW (video mode) because you don't actually get to see/use the menus until you finalise the disc. The OP wanted to have menus similar to a commercial disc and all I have done is pointed out the different ways of generating a finalised disc and suggested that he may like to try out each alternative using a -RW(video mode) to see which method/final result he prefers. As I had suggested producing a single title (with chapter points) and multiple titles (both via normal HDD editing and via playlist) that would require 3 discs and it seemed reasonable to me to use -RW rather than 'waste' 3 -R's.

Once the method has been decided I agree that it should be burnt to -R.

15. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i burn a wedding disk and finalize, then put the dvd in someone elses dvd player, will the pioneer menu be dislplayed, or will it just run like a normal vhs tape, ie "no menus "reason i am asking is the pioneer menus are a bit naff and i would now like it to run on a dvd player without the menus.
    many thanks
    john

16. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?
    john

17. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on the dvd player. On my 520 and my Pioneer 575 (& old 350) the discs stops when loaded and I can then either press menu to get the menu or just press play and it will bypass the menu. But on my mates dvd players (a Pacific & XBOX) it loads the menu straight away.

If you definitely don't want a menu you can go via a PC and use something like Ifoedit, but if you go that route you can always author the dvd with a proper menu.

18. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, i know about the pc/mac,
    anyone else know
    john