1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Scaling down production good or bad?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwood, Mar 30, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Given the recent announcement do you think the current range will reduce in price, I would have thought they would still have to come in under the new Panasonic Range if they are hoping to compete given the proposed specs of the PV500.
    Also this could mean the price for Panasonic remaining more solid as they would not have the same competition. Or does Pioneer have a new range due which they hope to keep at the higher end of the market.

2. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the reports I have read Panasonic Hitachi is interested in an alliance with Pioneer so they can reduce costs to compete with the Korean rivals. At the moment it seems Pioneer want to go the high end as with the elite range in the USA. Specs don’t always come into the equation. As with most other products it depends how things are marketed and if you’re prepared to pay extra for a designer brand.
    B&O don’t get mentioned on these forums much but they still sell (in small quantities) and make a profit ,are they really better technical spec?

Sony and Samsung have signed agreements on sharing most technologies apart from games consoles.So we might see something from them

The investment required today to compete is much more than just one company can afford.
    WARNING PERSONAL RANT
    I personally would like Pioneer to work with Panasonic/Hitachi to push the technology further AND costs down .I’ve always thought Panasonic and Pioneer should have two ranges in Plasma and market them accordingly just as say Toyota has Lexus do with cars. Pioneer should in the UK push its Elite range and have a budget range. Panasonic should have Vieras and sold higher quality plasmas under their Technics brand. This higher spec type should have been designed with custom installs in mind for enthusiasts who are willing to pay the extra.

So, on the whole, to answer your question I think it’s a bad thing they seem to be giving up.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm sorry to hear this news. I think it's likely it will push prices up generally. It's also noticeable that folks like Denon and Onkyo are now withdrawing from the internet, not allowing full access to their ranges to internet retailers. I think this pattern is likely to spread, resulting in higher pricing all round. Not really good for anyone, we sell more installations with plasma prices low, customers buy more of what they want.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think it could go one of two ways. Manufacturers either producing more exclusive reference models with a higher pricing structure or sadly reducng the overall quality of their new products to maintain current pricing trends. Unfortunately I think the latter is the most likely scenario.

We can't be too sad for them though, after all it's all down to us the consumer constantly demanding more bang for an increasingly lower buck.