Pioneer SC-LX89, 79, 88, 78, what happens when you run 4K through them

guygampell

Novice Member
Can someone who has actually done write up the end result. I have Chromecast Ultra streaming stick and a Sony SONY - UBP-X800M2 both of which support Dolby Vision or HDR10 protocol. I thinking of buying a used Pioneer SC-LX89, or LX78, these appear to support 4K pass through (from datasheet)
Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 (4K/60p/4:4:4/24-bit, 4K/24p/4:4:4/36-bit, 4K/60p/4:2:2/36-bit)
I do know that they do NOT support Dolby Vision or HDR10 pass through,
Can someone who has actually tried this tell me what the impact of that lack of support for Dolby Visionor HDR10 actually means in terms of what you see on screen?
My TV is a 55" OLED TV (model Philips 55OLED754). It for sure supports Dolby Vision because I have seen that pop up when watching UHD content sometimes, but I can't say I know to tell the difference between with and without Dolby Vision / HDR10
Whats the fuss about with these high dynamic range technologies? do they really bring a benefit that I will miss if I lose it?
Full disclosure, most of the time I am more than happy with the picture quality of good 1080p, plenty of good Bluray disks float my boat. I can see the difference to 4K but it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of good content all that much

Thoughts welcome
thanks

famasfilms

Banned
Can someone who has actually done write up the end result. I have Chromecast Ultra streaming stick and a Sony SONY - UBP-X800M2 both of which support Dolby Vision or HDR10 protocol. I thinking of buying a used Pioneer SC-LX89, or LX78, these appear to support 4K pass through (from datasheet)
Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 (4K/60p/4:4:4/24-bit, 4K/24p/4:4:4/36-bit, 4K/60p/4:2:2/36-bit)
I do know that they do NOT support Dolby Vision or HDR10 pass through,
Can someone who has actually tried this tell me what the impact of that lack of support for Dolby Visionor HDR10 actually means in terms of what you see on screen?
My TV is a 55" OLED TV (model Philips 55OLED754). It for sure supports Dolby Vision because I have seen that pop up when watching UHD content sometimes, but I can't say I know to tell the difference between with and without Dolby Vision / HDR10
Whats the fuss about with these high dynamic range technologies? do they really bring a benefit that I will miss if I lose it?
Full disclosure, most of the time I am more than happy with the picture quality of good 1080p, plenty of good Bluray disks float my boat. I can see the difference to 4K but it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of good content all that much

Thoughts welcome
thanks

I'm not speaking from experience with pioneer, but in my experience across multiple devices (PC, TV, AVR) if the device doesn't support a format eg Atmos, 4k, HDR etc - then the app eg Netflix simply won't even list it as an option. Netflix will always play the best format available to it

guygampell

Novice Member
Thanks, what I am asking for is someone to describe the difference in image quality between UHD images where they passed through to a supporting TV with either Dolby Vision or HDR10 data intact, and image quality where the intermediate router (such as a Pioneer SC-LX89( doe not support Dolby Vision or HDR10.

famasfilms

Banned
Thanks, what I am asking for is someone to describe the difference in image quality between UHD images where they passed through to a supporting TV with either Dolby Vision or HDR10 data intact, and image quality where the intermediate router (such as a Pioneer SC-LX89( doe not support Dolby Vision or HDR10.

And I told you - you referenced a Chromecast, the CC Netflix app will know that the chain doesn't support certain formats and won't play them.

It will stream the best possible formats available to it

guygampell

Novice Member
Can you try and describe the picture quality with and without Dolby Vision /HDR10 as it would be perceived on the gear I have.

My Chromecast is a Chromecast Ultra which does indeed fully support Dolby Vision and HDR10 but if routed via an AVR that doesn't, as you say... A signal without those protocols will be negotiated.

But what does it look like? What do Dolby Vision / HDR10 bring that I would ever notice in practise? On a 55 inch OLED set, not gaming,

I know it is subjective but if someone has done this and can describe that they felt was lost when "downgrading" but still getting 4K, that would really help.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom