• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Pioneer SC-LX88 Vs. Marantz SR7010 to replace Pioneer SC-LX83

ahaydock

I am looking to upgrade my existing Pioneer SC-LX83 to an Atmos AVR, and can get a great price on the Pioneer SC-LX88 (using my LX83 as Trade-In) which seems to be a modern day equivalent.

However, I have read the review for the Marantz SR7010 on this very Forum, and it seems very promising indeed, but I am worried this may be a bit of a step back compared to my Pioneer SC-LX83? The Marantz appeals to me as I do listen to an awful lot of music, and the fact it supports HDMI 2.0a/HDCP2.2 is great as I am future proofed (as much as I can be). I may be wrong here but don’t think the Pioneer SC-LX88 supports HDMI 2.0a/HDCP2.2 and given I am looking to upgrade to the Samsung 65JS8500 in the New Year, feel this is something I should be looking for?

My other thought would be the Pioneer SC-LX59, but again feel this may be a step back compared to my Pioneer SC-LX83? Also not overly keen on the looks of the Marantz.

I should also state the deal on the LX88 is several hundred £’s cheaper compare to the Marantz SR7010 or Pioneer SC LX59 which again makes it appealing.

Any thoughts appreciated...

ahaydock

Any thoughts peeps?

JonnyBingham

Hi ahaydock.
Since you have a 4k telly, I would personally avoid the LX88 and be looking at only avrs that support hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0a.
My money would personally go to the denon avrx5200w which does atmos and is future proof, for £900.
I think for the price it is very hard to beat.
Cheers,
Jonny

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The Marantz does everything you want....for a very good price.

EA666

I would suggest having a listen to the both the marantz and pioneer. I was about to do the same but after listening just shelled out for the LX89 instead.

If you can take some known music with you and listen to both in pure direct mode and see how you get on. The ICE amps in the LX83 i personally found more detailed and a sharper presentation. Also with movies the pioneer to me were more detailed and the panning effects were also better on both the LX59 and LX89.

You may find the SR7010 may be warm in comparison albeit feature packed.

ahaydock

Thanks guys, the problem I have is none of my local Stores stock both models - I have to travel half the country to even have a listen.

ahaydock

I would suggest having a listen to the both the marantz and pioneer. I was about to do the same but after listening just shelled out for the LX89 instead.

If you can take some known music with you and listen to both in pure direct mode and see how you get on. The ICE amps in the LX83 i personally found more detailed and a sharper presentation. Also with movies the pioneer to me were more detailed and the panning effects were also better on both the LX59 and LX89.

You may find the SR7010 may be warm in comparison albeit feature packed.

Thank you - did you compare the LX59 and LX89 as well? Wondering what the difference is between the two?

What made you go for the Pioneer over Marantz?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom