• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

pioneer sc-lx82 overkill for kefs?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The LX82 really deserves better speakers than the Kefs to get the best from it. That said the price you have been offered seems very good and it will be much better than any of the new amp around the same price. Hence I would say get it and you could always upgrade the speakers in the future and get even more sound quality improvements.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 82 is currently discounted since it has been discontinued so I doubt there will be any left by next year. £700 represents a massive discount so I doubt it will go any cheaper. I would get it now while you stil can.

Dazzor

i thought that may be the case and i may not be ready for bigger speakers till next year so would the lx82 be cheaper by then?

Looking about it would appear £700 for an LX82 is very good indeed...If it's in tip-top nick and still got the box and some warranty left it really is a nice deal...IMO anyway.

They don't appear to come up very often second-hand.

Is it overkill for your KEF's.... Most likely...But really, so what?

It's still not exactly an AV faux pas having an over spec'd amp for speakers IMO. Far better than having a low-end amp attempting to drive low-sensitivity, hard to drive speakers.....And of course, in year you can upgrade.

My only concern would be the pairing of those little KEF's and a pioneer AVR.. Could it all sound a bit forward/bright?

Which AVR are you currently using?

[email protected]

currently im using a pioneer vsx 1017, it sounds good to me and the bass has a nice little rumble for my room (13'x14'). but the offer like you say is good, he's only had the amp since may of this year when he paid £1580 (he show'd me the receipt) and i assume it still has a good warranty to boot! i was planning to pair it later with some kef iq90's and iq50's with a iq60 for centre.

Dazzor

currently im using a pioneer vsx 1017, it sounds good to me and the bass has a nice little rumble for my room (13'x14'). but the offer like you say is good, he's only had the amp since may of this year when he paid £1580 (he show'd me the receipt) and i assume it still has a good warranty to boot! i was planning to pair it later with some kef iq90's and iq50's with a iq60 for centre.

The only advice I can offer at this juncture is simply to turn your computer off and...

Bite the blokes hands off who's selling that amp!;)

Speakers..

I demo'd a few floorstanders before arriving at my current set-up (Another story) and FWIW I really liked the IQ90's but more than them I really liked the Epos M22i's.

Admittedly I was listening to them on hi-fi kit at the time (Creek Evo CDP+AMP) not an AVR but the Epos's were just more detailed for me.

Of course your mileage may differ and also I think it may be easier to match-up a 5.0 of a 5.1 system from the KEF range......Just throwing around some thoughts really.

Let us know how you get on:smashin:

Darren

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom