PIONEER SC-LX/SC-77 owners thread

Karezoid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I decided to post here an official thread about PIONEER model which I own and which is my next after SC-LX 75 PIONEER av receiver. I saw that there's no official thread regarding this 2013/2014 model so here it is. Some time ago I posted some questions about it, but I think this was a minor problem and could not guide anyone to posted their own thoughts, issues and etc.

Ok. What's my question to any user of 77/87 series or maybe even 76/86 model.
I noticed that cooling fan is working almost all the time ( 90% ) of time while I listen to the music ( stereo, multichannel ) or watching movies ( multichannel, surround conversion ). Is this normal?. I remember my SC-LX 75 when fan was activated only in times of greater power consumption and you could hear it off after few moments. Now It's working almost all the time. My receiver stands on open, heavy and stable commode. It has all ventilation holes open and no reason to be overheated. If this work of fan would be inaudible probably I would not ask for it, but I can hear it clear from the distance of 3 meters and it's annoying when playback is silent or paused. It distracts my attention to the sounds flowing from the loudspeakers.

Ok. DID ANYONE observed the same thing
1. Cooling fan working all the time?
2....and it's working audible up to 3 meters distance?

I have some thoughts about first question. Maybe this all time work is caused by more power consumption, and more "computing" elements as ( audio scaler, DAC, upsampling, HDMI outputs and etc. ). Is this normal today in new line of modern AV receivers fully equipped in newest technic?

Sooo this is it.
Thank you all for all comments and answers in advance.
Best regards
MIchal

Last edited:
Hi mate,

I bought a '77 in Aug last yr albeit I only connected it all up in nov last yr (2014) as I recently moved house and I'm renovating. I haven't heard any fan noises so far (touch wood)

Steve

Wow.. Old thread brought back to life....
I didn't know my 77 had a fan, it must be silent on mine..

But seriously, six years later, has anyone upgraded from an lx77/87 and found a significant improvement in sound quality? Why did you upgrade?

I love my Pioneer, except for the impenetrable setup options that require better eyes than mine on the remote control. And the lack of an app to control things (the published app is not supported on modern android devices).

But seriously, six years later, has anyone upgraded from an lx77/87 and found a significant improvement in sound quality? Why did you upgrade?

I love my Pioneer, except for the impenetrable setup options that require better eyes than mine on the remote control. And the lack of an app to control things (the published app is not supported on modern android devices).
Had to upgrade from an LX79 due to going 4K/HDR (ARC etc was too much of a pain). No real improvement in sound quality with the Denon, just more up to date and more user friendly than the Pio.

If Pio were still making higher level AVRs, I would be tempted to return to the fold.

There are new Pioneer amps coming and they will have Dirac onboard. That could be a game changer and has the potential to improve the audio performance in the room.

Interesting. No rush for me to upgrade, so let's see if these appear in the summer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom