Pioneer Replace Faulty POWER SUPPLYS

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dafinity, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dafinity

dafinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just been investigating and found many links that mention that Pioneer are aware of faulty power supply units in some of their plasma's.

I found lots of U.S sites, so thought I would ring Pioneer UK. Within 20 minutes I had received a call from Authorised repairers near me who will visit and swap out unit, free of charge.

See here:

Uk Number: Customer Relations:
    Phone: 01753 789500

U.S sites with info:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,32171715_32252969_173495789,00.html

http://news.com.com/Pioneer+replaces+plasma+TV+power+supplies/2110-1041_3-5462879.html

http://www.rtoonline.com/Content/Article/Nov04/PioneerPowerSupplies112204.asp

2. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Interesting, how did you know there was a fault with yours ?

3. dafinity

dafinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Because mine went POP!

Just loud enough to make me jump when i switched it on....

Their authorised repair centre in Leicester was trying to charge me a call out fee of about £90 plus travel for £130.

Their other centre in Maidenhead was totally free.

Both places will charge £94 approx for the power supply IF it does not fix the issue.

4. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you still have your mains supply LED working ?

Mine went pop yesterday but i still get the LED flashing red ?

Dean.

5. dafinity

dafinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes the red LED was still blinking, but the screen wouldn't do anything else...

6. thefosters@west

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 435FDE will come up with sound and picture for about 2 seconds, then switches back to standby. i can see a red light come on inside the box, through the fan. No pops or bangs, though. Any ideas? Bill

7. captainpixel

captainpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep the same thing is happening on my PDP 436XDE. It happened about 4 weeks ago and wouldn't switch on for about three days. Then it was fine for a while and now it has started again. The first time it happened we were having some hot weather so I thought it might be a thermal cutout. It's not hot now though so they are coming to look at it on Monday. I'll post when (if) I get a solution.

It may be difficult as the problem seems a bit random. Sometimes it won't switch on (the light goes blue and the screen starts to illuminate then switches off and leaves a red flashing light. Other times the screen will just go off while I watching TV and leave a red flashing light then sometimes it will restart and sometimes it won't.
    :confused:

8. connections

connections

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There i have a 435-XDE still a great plasma i have had this with mine.
    Fire the screen up then turns off, the stand by light flashes 7-8 times with a very short space then continues again,pioneer came out replaced both boards in the screen, fine for a while then it started again, again pioneer came out the repair guy went into menu and saw [again] that address panels
    where showing a problem, he saw this first time round but wanted to change the power boards first, so the screen had to go away and basically have the whole screen replaced. 3weeks later got it back [Brand New] and touch wood everything all ok. Just to let you know in case you are not sure the address panels are thin panels that across the screen, basically it gives you the picture, bit technical for me, but it sounds like it could be this.

9. captainpixel

captainpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

They are coming out on Monday so I'll post when they have been. For info :- when the screen (PDP 436XDE) goes off by itself the red light at the bottom left flashes 10 times, pauses, then repeats the 10 flashes.

10. captainpixel

captainpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they came out (the electrical chain's first line engineers). The first time he went away to speak to Pioneer. A week later another one came to "make sure the power cord was firmly connected"!! Fortunately he had some photocopied pages from the maufactures manual. I went through the symptoms again and we found the relevent reference.

There are a variety of flash codes for the screen. Some involve Blue Flashes, some Blue/red flashes and my particular sequence - red flashes. The red flashes happen if the screen shuts iself down or won't start and are on the screen LED not on the Tuner Box. There are a sequence of red flashes with 500ms (half a second) spacing followed by a gap of 2500ms (2 and a half seconds) The sequence then repeats. The number of flashes in a sequence indicates the area of the problem. My ten flash sequence indicates a "DC for X Drive" problem so they are going to replace the X Drive Board.

Hope that's useful. I'm going to try and copy down the codes next time :)

11. Clive1056

Clive1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting thread this one ! My PDP 505XDE screen gave up yesterday... leaving just a flashing red led on the screen. It flashes twice. Anyone happen to know what this might relate to. The setup is only 17 months old and part of a very expensive multi room AV installation. Unfortunately, the installers seem not to be all that interested in the problem and won't phone me back, which is a real shame because they've been absolutely brilliant up til now. I won't name the company yet, in case they come good. If anyone can help me out with the problem area for the codes tho it would help a great deal. Thanks in advance.:lease:

12. Allen101

Allen101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samthing happened to me. Except the red led flashes 3 times. My 505 xde is nearly two years old. Have you got any more to share?

13. sixdbs

sixdbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone experienced this? My 436RXE suddenly switched itself off last night. There were no error codes or anything strange before it happened and there were no lights lit afterwards. It was as though someone had used the power switch at the bottom left of the panel to switch it off. Indeed, I discovered that this switch was off and switching it back on using this switch returned everything to normal. It could (hopefully) just have been a one off - maybe I didn't quite switch it on right in the first place. I am not aware that any fail safe device would actually mechanically throw off this switch. Any ideas? Jules

14. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just went bang, with a flash too. Mine's a 433MXEv that been running for a number of years with no problems - although I should have seen the signs a while back when it seemed to behave strangely in that it went off once when I wasn't expecting it to. Then wouldn't come on again until I removed the mains cable for a few mins. When I did attempt switching it on again, it flashed the LED.

This time tho. I saw the flash refect off the back wall and bit phut-bang sound. The power LED went out as did the picture. There wasn't much of a smell though - nothing much more than normal warm electronics.

I left the power lead out for a few mins while checking if the fuse had blown in the mains plug - it was fine. I plugged it all back in and the RED LED stayed on as in standby. I then powered it up from the side button and the relays clicked as normal and then clicked again. The RED LED flashed 5 times in succession and then repeated every sec. or so until I pulled the pwer lead.

What's the best explanation anyone can give me as to whats gone and needs replacing.

This couldn't have come at a worse or maybe better time - I was planning on getting the Pio PDP508XD this week and putting the 43a3 in my bedroom. Looks like I wont be getting a replacement in the bedroom !!!

Looking at my documentation my 433MXEv was deleivered 23rd May 2003, so not even 5 years old!

What's the default warrentee period on the 433MXEv's ? Are power supply problems covered by an extended cover like PCs manufactures (Dell) did/do with their power supplies due to the China Capacitor formula fiasco.

15. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Pioneer weren't giving in on the 433MXE ...it's not on their list!

So, I took the plunge and opened up the back of my panel. The big shiney aluminium tray, held with 4 screws in the middle between the main frame with wall mount bolt holes, is the PSU board assembly. In my panel the PCB itself is a "PCB2310 A06-124169B" which is part of the complete assembly AXY1059-D (dated 2002-11) and made in bloody China!.

Anyway, a quick search on the net found two suppliers. One doing the PCB2310 A06-124169F (note the F version) board for £350 + del + vat (£417 inc.) (http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/ele...433pe-pcb-psu-pioneer-pcb2310-a06-124196f.htm)
    and another for £129 + del + vat (£172 inc.) (not sure of the version letter but they say its a brand new board) (http://www.ohmsupplies.co.uk/epages...tPath=/Shops/ohmsupplies.co.uk/Products/PSU15) ...unfortunately, these ones are out of stock.

So when it's in stock, I'll see what they say to me buying one - it's only connected with 8 single in-line connectors.

The only problem I can see is getting the potentiometers or vari-caps set correctly. There are atleast 8 of them too.

This guys post echoes the exact same issue I had, same board revision, everything (http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.electronics.repair/2007-08/msg00567.html). So, it must be a Pioneer quality issue surely.

Anyway, on mine, R133 and another resistor near Q127 blew apart. The track between Diodes D152, D153 and R133 was burnt, possible non-existant now - it may be the result of R133 blowing it side out. This is around the top right of the 3rd transformer across the middle on the right (see pic on the first site link).

The resistor near Q127 is the white block between the vertical aluminium heat sink to the left of the two transformers (top right of board). It seems the new board has a much higher wattage resistor than was fittet to mine. Those ceramic brick resitors can be rated from 10 to 50watts+ whereas the one I had was no more than a 4mm diameter wound axial component. Obvioulsy they found it a problem area and changed it in later boards.

So, when I've got my new panel ordered and delivered, I'll be hassling Pioneer until they give in or just hang up as soon as I call - has anyone else been hung up on by their customer relations staff ? Just when I was querying their responsibility to the Sale of Goods Act, the line went click!

Update:...
    So, I started to see what PSU board was in the 433CMX (the US version of the MXE which is on the list for FOC PSU boards). I couldn't find anything difinitive as to what boards the CMX used without spending money on service manuals, but I did find this on Pioneers site. I recognise some of the VSUS details from when I was in the back of my panel. http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/...9941256C2100553D98/$File/ARM1217_PDP-433P.pdf. It seems there might be some sort of config to do on the panel if a slightly different replacement assembly was used e.g. AXY1059 is what is in mine, but AXY1064 is a replacement and therefore needs some lookup on the conversion table in that .pdf doc. Also, when I search with Google for "pioneer", "433" and "axy1059" there are quite a few Russion and Chinese site (Service Angels for instance) referring to both the CMX and MXE using the same AXY1059 assembly. But then there are references to 433PU and 433PE which may pertain to a US and Europe PSU board. I guess $8 for a service manual with exploded schematic diagrams etc. might be worth having to argue my case with Pioneer.

Update 2:...
    So, I decided, as I've got nothing else to do other than surf the net!!!, I would get the $8 service manual for the PDP433CMX/433MXE (http://www.smpcshop.com/PDP-433CMX-PDP-433MXE-PDP-4300-p-6672.html). As it happens, they both use the same Power Supply assembly - AXY1059. Page 26 describes the Upper Layer Section (basically the PSU board) in a diagramatic view. On the front cover, it states one PSU assembly for both models, on page 27, it describes the list of parts and application of model specific parts - the only difference between the two models is part No. 12, a Solder Warning Label AAX2644 that is applicable to the CMX version only. Page 133 shows a diagnostics table for LED Blinks (cropped for the 5 blinks indication I was seeing) and Page 134 clearly shows that the PSU board is designed for both US and Euro voltages and the last paragraph make for some interesting reading - Pioneer didn't even make it ...well that's because it's used in Hitachi's too although not sure which model (who here has had a Hitachi panel go bang ???? what mdel was it and have Hitachi had to replace faulty PSU boards ?). Also, it answers my question above avout the potentiaometer (VR's - variable Resistors) - they are preset, so it looks like I could just go a buy the replacement board for £172 inc. ...but why when it's clearly a FOC replacement as the MXE is a CMX and it's listed for FOC replacement PSUs.

See .pdf captures attached - these were grabbed from the .pdf file PDP-433CMX-155.pdf contained in the .zip archive you download when you've purchased the manual in case anyone wanted to know!.

Now I can go back to Pioneer and "tell" them that they need to fix the MXE as it's in the list as the CMX model - and they are the same as far as the crappy PSU board is concerned. :clap:

Obviously, respective copyright applies (see front cover for who!!! :D ). These are just cropped images to remove uneccessary blank space. no content has been altered or removed apart from footer and page number and page 133 which lists just the 5 RED LED blinks PSU related info.

Attached Files:

16. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Arse!

No go with Pioneer even though they accept that the only difference between the 433CMX and the 433MXE PSU board is a sticky label warning the US service engineers of Solder!

The best they could do is say that the plasma technology is improving all the time - in response to me asking how long a 508XD will last!

From my experience, that's been about £500 per year on a TV! I paid £2400 back in May 2003!

So, ignore the myth about plasma gas recharging - your electronics will fail before the gas performance drops off (someone quoted 60000hrs MTBF - around 20yrs for a panel used 5hrs a day 6 days a week!). My good old Sony 2952 CRT TV is still working fine and is more than twice the age of the 433MXE - having said that it'll probably go before I get my new 508XD, the 433MXE seemed to have got worried when I was looking for a new one!!! :rolleyes:

So, is it worth going to the small claims court - they didn't seem to be worried when I mentioned maybe having to make a claim and didn't budge when mentioning the Sale of Goods Act, 5 years is not an unreasonable time for a plasma TV to last, is it ?

17. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm not a legal or electronics expert but it seems to me that power supplies have long been a problem for Pio screens. Mine went on my Pio 435 and Pioneer agreed to pay for the part even though it was out of warranty.

Seems to me you have nothing to lose by continuing to argue.

18. Mike_J 1975

Mike_J 1975
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a note to MrAnderson69.

I had a Pioneer 433MXE go 'pop' a couple of weeks ago, same symptons as you with the 5 red flashes etc. R133 blown apart...

Ordered a board from Ohmsupplies even though it does indeed say out of stock/special order etc. It took 2 days to arrive from order, i.e, ordered Tuesday and payed with PayPal, board was here on Thursday. 10 minute job to change it and screen now fully up and running again. :smashin:

Just thought you'd like to know..

Regards,

Mike.

Quick update, Invoice total for the board was £145.97 including delivery etc.. :)

19. southdownswolf

southdownswolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    typical badly built, poor quality Pioneers. Get a decent tv. :rotfl::rolleyes:

20. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers Reckless - not sure I've got the time at work to spend arguing at someone who just sort responds "well, thats all I can do", or "sorry but I can't as the model you gave me isn't supported". What they did say is the MXE failure rate isn't as high as the CMX version, so they're not doing FOC replacement PSUs - that sort of acknowledges that they are failing but it's unlikely it will bring a Class Action Suit in the UK!

Just seen I got a reply from ohmsupplies at 8:48 this morning re: the PSU Board I enquired about last night. They order them in per order placed and paid for as their supplier wont take them back after they order it.

They confirmed that the pots on the board are preset and noone has asked before - maybe me just being thorough as I'm not a pro-service engineer.

Additionally, I was advised that there's a safety switch in the back of the TV that needs to be depressed to make the TV work again once the board has been replaced - not sure I read the service manual throughly enough to notice that, but good on OHM to highlight it for me - at least someone's being helpful ... assuming it's correct for my panel!

So, £172 to possibly resurect a sub £300 worth panel, but then it's a shame for it to go to waste as it looked spanking with a V+ and HiDef PC content via a iScan VP30 (HDMI->DVI) and and XBox 360 HiDef component direct.

Cheers Mike_J 1975, just seen your reply while posting this. How did you get it at £145 ? are you VAT registered ? Thats the price I saw when I went through the motions of ordering to see what the delivered cost was and it was a pre-VAT price.

21. Mike_J 1975

Mike_J 1975
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure about the Reset switch, I didn,t see one or need to press anything.... Was worth it for me to repair as I couldn't afford a new one at the moment.. Give you £50 for your panel! lol.. ;)

Mike.

22. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks ;) what make of TV do you have per chance ?????

BTW, the PSU board isn't actually designed and manufactured by Pioneer, Pioneer were being sold poor quality boards, the early ones I guess (mines a revision B and now they at revision F) - still no excuse, they should have better QC and testing.

23. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Maybe the switch is on the Hitachi's which these boards also fit.

I got a bit of a bonus this month so was looking to buy a new one and relegate the 433 to the bedroom before I was thrown a curve ball when it decided to pop - I'm sure it had feelings!!!

Yeah, £50, would that be inclusive of delivery ??? :rotfl:

24. Mike_J 1975

Mike_J 1975
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Absolutely! lol.. Let me know before you bin it.. ha ha ha..

Mike.

25. Rod S

Rod S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    2 1/2 years later but it's the most appropriate thread I've found so far.....

The PSU in my 433 went a couple of days ago, same symptoms and error codes on the LED, so I've pulled it apart (7 years old so well out of warranty) and it's R133 (as noted above) and also R226.

Both blown apart but no subsequent damage to the PCB or tracks, just a bit of soot.

From the links above I checked out the price of a new PSU an it's now about £175 with VAT and delivery - can't really justify that compared to the price of a new LCD (or even plasma) 42" TV (ith better specifications...) so I thought a repair is worth a go.

The problem is they are damaged enough that I can't read the colour codes with 100% certainty so I downloaded the Full Service manual (as linked above) - cost £6.50 so worth a try, but........ although it has every schematic in it for every PCB, for the PSU schematic it just shows R133 etc but no values. For every other schematic the values are shown or listed in a seperate table..... but not for the PSU :mad:

Any suggestions ?

26. emailwedgy

emailwedgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rod,

Sorry I can't answer your question direct, though I'm happy to assist if you would like specific component values, I can read them off mine.

I have a Hitachi CMP5000WXE 50" with the same power supply module. My problem is that in the tech manual the power supply is a block diagram only, not schematic. Can I trouble you to confirm you have the PCB 2310, and post a link for where you got your schematic from?

27. shanedowd

shanedowd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rod,

Curious to know if you found the values for the resistors you asked about. R133 is a 0.1ohm value, I've not located the R226 part on the board just yet, but will find it if you still need it.

Just for general information, I happened upon the following very useful information.

Pioneer PDP433PE îøèáêà E06

This is almost exactly the damage caused to my system from a power surge I think. R133 was also taken out. The photograph of the damaged area is almost exactly like my own board. I'm hoping the values mentioned for the various parts are correct. Will update and let you all know.

28. nilsbarris

nilsbarris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a FYI if anyone is searching for info to repair their third gen Pioneer plasma power supply (503CMX, 433CMX, 503 MXE, 433 MXE, 5030HD, 4330HD, PRO1000HD, etc). The replacement board for the AXY1059 (AXX1064) is also sold as a Hitachi SKU part TS04071.

It's the exact same board—even has the AXX1064/AXY1059-H sticker on it— for nearly half the price ($175 US v $334 US) of the Pioneer SKU'd one. You can get them from Encompassparts or partstore…

29. gunbust3r

gunbust3r
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone been successful in repairing the power board? My Pioneer Elite Pro-800HD just died yesterday. No power at all and I'm not willing to dump ~$300 into a replacement board.

30. slinds

slinds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Pioneer PDP-435FDE Has the reciever PDP-R05FE with the power supply : TDK 3EA00E400.

It died last week when i was in the middle of an exiting ps3 game..lost game data also..

my question is : I noticed a red "dot" on one of the capasators and i wonder if this is a replacement card or the card before Feb 2006, when voltage was reduced, because of to high voltage settings by Pioneer ?. No leaking, but i can se slightly brown areas on the curcuit board (power supply by TDK). (display tv from store)

Since i live in Sweden, i wonder if the power supply cards is different from the US cards, cause the different in power 110-230 ?. Can not find any TDK cards really. Not even on ebay. Any reliable replacement boards out there ?

New card should be about 1400 Skr. Not to expensive, but as i was rushed to buy a new Panasonic, it would be to expensive right now. So, since its a "lifetime guarantee", i wonder if they live up to their good reputation, to take care of their customers and replace the power supply ?. I wait cause i ask them today. I have nothing but good support from them from before, two times.

I also read strange things in this forum about the fuse on the power board. I checked both the board AND the fuse and it said . T3.15AH 250V. My question is : It doesnt seem broken, but i will try to replace it tomorrow anyway. Its filled with white chrystals, so how do you tell without replacing it ?. So how can the power supply be broken if the fuse who is placed on it, dont brake before the curcuit or conductors do ?

Tv symphtoms :
    Blinks twice in standby= power supply failure
    (used to do : when ps3 was connected to pioneer surround system (BD and other HDMI) it shut down the plasma suddenly when inserting a dvd into the ps3). Sudden power change and no ferrite beads included in the pioneer plasma original to put on the cables....is this the cause also ? (different quality HDMI cables tested to reciever also)

Reciever symtomphs:

Fan STARTS if you remove the black system cable (MDR), and goes down when the cable is put back to place.
    The black system cable seems to record an error on the power board and shut the system down, right ?.

Both on led and standby led is on now, all the time.

Is there a Pioneer museum out there ?. I have a 25 year old Pioneer also !. (with speakers) Awesome as display.!