Pioneer recommended media?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by smallblueplanet, Dec 1, 2004.

1. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I've just purchased a Pioneer 220s (and its arrived), but I haven't yet bought any media! (Doh!)

I've tried looking aroung the pioneer website to see if they have lists of recommended media but can't find any info.
    Was thinking of sticking with -rw as that would save burn coasters (is it the same term for dvd's?).....any recommendations or brands to stay away from?
    Also what are the x2 / x4 labels for?

Thanks. :)

2. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, no recommendations then?

How about some links to online cheap price shops?? Please......

3. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have used both Verbatim 8x DVD-R branded media and also cheap Datawrite Grey Classic 8x DVD-R with no problems at all with the Pioneer.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

4. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike
    I caved and bought 5 dvd-rw from CdrMedia.co.uk (the p&p was only £2) to try out.

Tdk 4x / Verbatim 4x / Maxell 2x

What are the speeds for?

5. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I forgot about CdrMedia.co.uk - I have also ordered from there.

The speeds basically mean how fast the recorder will write to the disk. The Pioneer can write at 8x for DVD-R and 4x for DVD-RW while most of the other brands only have a maximum of 4x for DVD-R :)

However, I'm not sure this matters with the 220 because it doesn't have a hard disk to allow fast copying. Therefore I assume everything will be written in "real time".

I have the 520 and on page 9 of my manual under the "DVD-R/RW Compatibility" section it lists the speeds of media it supports.

6. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have used Bulqpaq Orange so far with no problems, 3.99 for 25 at www.svp.co.uk

7. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smallblueplanet, please see my post on your other thread - the one about SCART control from your SKY box.

Not sure if compatibility on other DVD players is that important to you but if it is then I assure you the media brand can make a big difference. And the problem is you may have to play most of the disk before you find out - many's the time I've put one of my authored DVDs in a friend's player and it plays fine nearly all the way through then freezes, jumps or whatever a couple of minutes before the end.

We're talking different models of living-room player here and PC software players which are another scene altogether. I sell my creations so I've got the scars! :(

Roger