1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Greyhound, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the Pioneer 525 or 626 DVD players are still being sold as I can't seem to find them in stores or on the 'net.

If they are, any opions on these players? I was originally going to go for the Tosh 100E but am now looking for a decent yet cheapish player that has manual region setting in case RCE takes off.

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm still selling my chipped Pioneer DV-515 player. This is unused for the last 6 months and is in excellent condition. Its a 5-star player. The regions are manually selected. I can be contacted at sok40@hotmail.com.

[This message has been edited by SOK (edited 04-01-2001).]

3. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 525 has been replaced by the 535 (black) and 530 (silver)
    The 535 is available multiregion for £189 at www.richersounds.com
    It is excellent for the money , but it looks a bit plasticky.The Toshiba SD100E has a slightly better picture quality though.

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that the 535 not only looks plasticky, but that the inside is nearly all plastic.
    It's still a good player...but i have questions about it durability.

The earlier models(525/626) or the 636 has better build.
    Plus the 26/636 from Pioneer has DTS/DD decoders build in. A big plus if you don't have a DD/DTS amp.

5. Richard Wrist

Richard Wrist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One word of caution on the 636 which only became apparent after I bought it. It does not support video pass throuh on the two scart sockets it has. Therefore, if you have a digibox and only one RGB input on your TV (common in Sonys) you can be stuck compromising somewhere down the line.

Dickie

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a very pleased owner of a Pioneer DV535 I can say that it does not seem plasticky to me and if it is made of plastic on the inside too it must be very thick and heavy plastic because the machine is hardly light

7. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I HAVE A 626 FOR SALE,pclancy@ukonline .co.uk

8. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Was thinking about the Pioneer 530 myself. Seen it in my local Richer Sounds today for £169 (£189 for multi-region). Looks OK - didn't get the chance to examine it closely to see what the build was like. Do any owners of it out there want to jot down their thoughts on it?

9. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 535 is very plasticy and very light.
    Performance is quite god, bt i too would be concerned about durability.

AS long as you are careful however.

525 is still for sale at richer's

try techtronics

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owning a 535 I am very pleased, the only between them is colour and the 535 has a extra output on the back, one of the audio ones. That Ars... bloke seems to have something about Pioneer players build quality, but personally I think it is fine. Picture quality and sound are fantastic and I think that the Richer Sounds price is a bargain. I got my 535 from their mail order.

11. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB passthrough

i think video-tec may be able to modify it fr this if you are interested www.videotec.com/co.uk

i bought a 530 for someone from techtronics. Seemed OK, but try a made a loud and concerning clunk when opening. Worked fine though, it sat on top of my DVD player for a week or two making something of a hifi mountain.

Picture was not as good on 530 as on my player, even though it is newer and supports rgb, however for £200 multi region its a great player, would trust pioneer over other manufacturers at this price.

one final thing, remote control is a bit of a weed! But would still recommend.

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'