1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Superman07-2, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Superman07-2

Superman07-2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, let me say hello. Secondly, let me say I messed up, so if I have any posts after today they should be under Superman07 without the -2. Anyway, on to my question!

My boss here at work is thinking about getting a tv or tvs for the conference room, but has been flipping back and forth between plasmas, dlps, and other types.

He has specified, given the list I gave to him of choices - I'll get to that later - that he wants to go with Pioneer. Given that he is also looking for a couple of options:

1) It needs to be able to work as a computer monitor as well (I'm assuming DVI input here - but VGA would be good too).

2) It needs to be HD, so I'm thinking EDTV is out.

Okay, now back to my "list". We have come across a company that makes overlays for plasma screens so that you can effectively write on your presentations and documents, etc. on the screen and that transfer that to the actual electonic copy. However, they only support certain models from certain manufactures - which is the list I gave him. Now, with that list narrowed down to Pioneer here is what I am left looking at:

PDP-501X
    PDP-502MX
    PDP-505HD
    PDP-503CMX
    PDP-503MXE
    PDP-610MX

I'm not sure what price range he is looking at, so I'm not too concerned with that at the moment, but I would like to know what range I'm looking at - though I'm pretty sure the 610MX is the most $$. Also, for example, I know that Dell.com has the 503CMX for around 7k(USD). I'm sure this price can be beat somewhere, but I'm also sure that he'll want more of a warrenty so he'd rather go from a reputable vendor.

I'd really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on these models and some first hand experience about their quality if that applies to any of you!

Meanwhile, I'm stuck using me Samsung 30" Widescreen CRT at home. =( But it has a great picture! =)

Thanks again!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll be wanting the 503MXE, UK spec, UK sourced business/commercial plasma. It's the dogs. Connection is not completely straightforward, get help in case of difficulty. BTW I know of a 2nd hand overlay if you're interested.

3. Superman07-2

Superman07-2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

Humm, well the specs on that look good, but I don't see it anywhere here in the US. Is that model on sold over here?

What's the second party overlay? The one we were looking into was not Pioneer's.

Thanks again.

Oh, I did just find something else. From what I can tell these don't have the PDA-5002 with them? That's an additional component to buy. Any idea on how much those are running?

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
  5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry, as you had uk and us models listed, and are on a uk site, I'd assumed you were uk based. Scrub the overlay, the shipping hassle wouldn't be worth it. Though the guy is a yank, it won't fit in his hand baggage at Christmas!

6. Superman07-2

Superman07-2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe. Thanks. I actually found a US site. I actually thought this one was. I had come across an A/V site some time ago and thought this might be it. Apologize for the mix-up!

OT: Would you all recommend visiting over there during the winter or spring?

I've been over before, but not really when it's snowing. Thought it would look nice.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hardly ever snows, you need to do a lastminute if you want to see that, we'll pm you when the weather looks promising! March/April is a good time other than that.

8. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW,
    I've just read your post on the 50" MXE, it was very reassuring for me as I have just bought one of these models last week! The one I have had been used ( for a couple of weeks to do an edit job for a film, so I was told ) so was about £2k cheaper than list with a full G/tee! Could you advise me though on a couple of things , I was told the unit is progressive scan enabled and the card is fully updatable. I do not know which card this is, can you advise whow I can find out , will it be marked somewhere inside? There are more connectors on the rear than I have seen on any other model in any shop. I know this is a business model but the quality of the picture is as good as I have seen on any setup!.
    Regards Arty.:smashin: