1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer plasmas with DVD-3800 and NTL STB

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Jasonjo, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi All,

Can any other owners out there share their experience on using Pioneer 43" plasmas with NTL STB's and DVD-3800 players?

What is the NTL picture like? (assuming using RGB and sitting 8-9ft away)

Any compatability probs with either?

How bad is lip-sync from STB and DVD sources?

If wall mounted, did you buy the Pioneer or unicol mounts?

Will I regret binning the 32" CRT? (please answer no ;))

I am thinking about getting the new PDP-434HDE to go with my current setup (see below) and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance...

JJ

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Lipsynch on NTL can be very very bad, however changing channels back and forth seems to help or switching off / on the NTL box seems to help - in my experience anyway.

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    bump?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Jason

NTL - no direct experience though a fair few customers have NTL and I don't get any more or less complaints than I do with those who own SKY.

NTL vs. DVD-3800 - if you were to Play a movie on your DVD player at the same time as it was being broadcast via NTL your never going to get the NTL to match the image quality of the DVD player.

Lip Sync - as your going to be potentially running your Video signals to the R04 Media Box and highest quality audio signals direct to your Amp you certainly have to assume that you will get Lip Sync issues.

I believe your Denon DVD player has an audio delay option so its possibly your NTL Box and other video sources that may need some form of 'signal path' delay; there are a coupe of 'Digital 5:1'units coming to market in the near future to resolve this issue for Home Cinema enthusiasts; and in the meantime you can use a Behringer Stereo audio delay at £130.

Wall mounts - the Unicol mounts offer good value for money and get the job done in a fairly 'agricultural' way; the Pioneer mounts are more expensive but do have some built in 'adjustments' if you want to have a quick and easy way to ensure you are 'true' to your wall.

Will you regret it - cover your Plasma with a sheet for a night about a week after you get it set-up and go back to watching your 32" TV :)

PDP-434HDE - on paper and from initial viewings at the trade launch its the unit to go for; though you'll not go wrong if you went with the PDP-433MXE (you just wont have so many people pestering you to tell you about how the 434 performs!).

Best regards

Joe

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cheers Joe - helpful as ever...

I assume you will post when these come to market?

Whats the rough difference in cost for this?

Hopefully seeing it in the flesh at the Event II will help!!! :)

Thanks again for the feedback and see you at "The Event II" if you are there on the Sunday ;)

JJ

6. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer plasma (bought from Joe) and an NTL set top box going through a JS RGB tp component converter. I have seen lip synch problems on a few occasions, but not on all the channels all the time. Sometimes some channels are OK and sometimes some channels are affected. Other times the same channels that were having lip sync problems previously are now OK.

I'll try switching off, changing channels, etc.

I have no lip sync problems at all from my DVD player.