pioneer plasmas: what problems to look for?

sith1970

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, fellas

I'm fighting to get a replacement set for my purple snakes infested panny px60. The shop i get my set from has the new pannys. Unfortunately, i read that the new px70 have the same problem with the snakes and that even the 50" panny models - at least the px60 - are not entirely free of this annoying issue. So i was looking to swap brands to the Pio models. However, since i know that every brand have a particular set of problems with their plasmas, i would like to know what are the common issues i will find with Pioneer.

So Pioneer owners, can you give a hand here?

the whole snakes problem is being complete taken out of proportion with the px70, i have one, and have NEVER seen one, it has been run in for 300 hours.

I have checked the supposed rogue films, and nothing and thst looking - its all over hyped rubbish...............even the reviewers have said you would have to strain your eyes at 3ft to see anything, and then you would be actively looking for it. look at the vast majority of happy owners and be assured that the odd lemon, is just a curse of manufacturing.

Pannny have greatly reduced the chances of snakes with the new G10 panel

the only thing i see is the odd green twinge, but would see that with any plasma, its either that or c@appy blacks and ghosting on LCDs

the day of 'perfection' is still a way off for affordable flat panels, you have to take the very minor rough, with the far high proportion of smooth my freind!! :)

Hi, fellas

I'm fighting to get a replacement set for my purple snakes infested panny px60. The shop i get my set from has the new pannys. Unfortunately, i read that the new px70 have the same problem with the snakes and that even the 50" panny models - at least the px60 - are not entirely free of this annoying issue. So i was looking to swap brands to the Pio models. However, since i know that every brand have a particular set of problems with their plasmas, i would like to know what are the common issues i will find with Pioneer.

So Pioneer owners, can you give a hand here?

I'm sort of in the same boat as you sith1970.

The retailer has agreed (in writing :thumbsup: ) to exchange my year old PX60 for something else. However i'm afraid i have lost all faith in Panasonic and am also looking at the Pio's.

The PX70 has been out a matter of minutes and all the proud new owners, eager to justify the expense of their new purchase are of course adament there's no snakes :rolleyes: It took us original PX60 owners 6 months to spot them! I was 7 months into ownership before i first encountered problems :lesson:
So despite the fact one person has already posted pics on here of his PX70 displaying snakes and the independent reviews ARE saying there's still a minor problem with "purple" and "fizzing" pixels is it "over hyped rubbish"?

Justify away :smashin: but there's still a problem there IMO, i wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. And what will Panny do if anything does turn up? Same as the PX60? A half arsed attempt at a fix, sorry "enhancement" ;) that doesn't actually work 100% so they wash their hands of it and say well it's within tolerance. Shocking!

I took a look at the 427 pio in a couple of stores yesterday and the dirty screen effect.........OMG :eek:
Not present on the 507XD though so that's where i'm heading :thumbsup: I shall be paying the extra £££ and upgrading to what seems to be one of the only plasma's out there (and on here) that's not got issues.

Hi Fellas,

I thought I would just say I purchased the 507 recently and after running in I can honestly say this panel really is a stunning piece of kit the pictures it can produce especially with a good HD source really is jaw dropping I can recommend this panel 100% :thumbsup:

Rob

Giggsy13,

What you say is true. As of now, perfection is way off for basic to medium range plasmas and i'm perfectly willing to bear the "rough edges" that that equation implies. But, no one in his right mind would say that a generic widescreen CRT set bought off the shelves of a supermarket for less than €400 is, PQ wise, better than a €2000 last generation plasma.

And that is exactly my case here. I know that they are two different technologies, but when you buy a tv set, whatever the format, you expect a clean image with no evident artifacting of any kind. Except, of course, for the rough edges: geometry issues, some digital noise in the backgrounds and very minor color tinges here and there, among other things. All of wich, i know you can encounter in different brands of CRT & plasma sets.

But purple snakes are beyond a rough edge. At least with the degree that my set has them. It's a design fault that Panasonic should have eliminated with the new models. Sadly, that is not the case and the folks at Panasonic are digging their own grave with this one. Right now i'm not willing to accept another panny set giving my own experience and all the bad rep on the forums. And that is tragic, because the pannys are pretty good in all other areas...

i haave just bought the pdp507xd 50 inch pioneer, expensive but the best i could see out there at the moment in performanxce reliability and looks. for <ÂŁ2k, highly reccomended, only problem is i cant find the code to operate sky+ from the pioneer remote but i will live.

Sorry to butt in here with what are probably "newbie" questions for a few of you guys, but...... I currently have a 32" tosh HD lcd which I bought when the xb360 came out, which as several people have noted has problems (ghosting/ blurring + various other issues). I was intending soon to upgrade to a plasma, and had nearly settled on the Pio 427xd. That was until I started reading about the various issues. Just what exactly is the dirty-screen problem? And what about the green tinge/ flicker when using a 360? And what about the buzzing issue? And am I to understand from the above posts that the 50" pio model doesn't suffer from these problems? I don't understand that as surely it's exactly the same tech as in the 42" version?
I'd mainly be using the set for watching dvd's through hdmi on a denon 2910 and for xbox 360.
Sorry for the many questions, but I think (honest) answers may be of use to several of us who are pondering "which Plasma?"

giggsy & s17elly

I have both sets & I confirm the following.

For what I have paid for my PX70 I am happy, BUT this set is NOT state of the art. Was at my brothers last night & he has a 37 PV50, the main thing that was apparent over the 70 was the lack of noise in the picture, however it was riddled with snakes and clay mega false contouring.

The fizzing pixels all over the 70 is plain to see, as for snakes there are none but because of the lack of colour gradation it causes magenta colour errors in dark parts of the picture, this is what the reviews are referring too.

As for the black, sorry guys the Panasonic is better than the Pioneer but not by much, the overall picture on the Pioneer 507 is leaps and bounds ahead of the PX70.

Any one want to see I have Harry Potter GOF from Sky, and we can put the two side by side, there you will see the difference in black, the processing differences, and what happens when one set has magenta banding the other does not. Yo will also see the colour balance of both sets can be set identically ( actually the Pioneer to Panasonic, it is not possible to set the Panasonic to look like a well set up 507.

S17ELLY from you comments if I were you just try & hang out until you see Pioneers G8 sets. They maybe more expensive but Im a beliver in you get what you pay for.

My px 70 cost me &#163;850 for that its great, if was &#163;1300 ish I would not spend that on one of these. If I wanted 42 at that money I would have purchased the PIO 4270XD.

giggsy & s17elly

I have both sets & I confirm the following.

For what I have paid for my PX70 I am happy, BUT this set is NOT state of the art. Was at my brothers last night & he has a 37 PV50, the main thing that was apparent over the 70 was the lack of noise in the picture, however it was riddled with snakes and clay mega false contouring.

The fizzing pixels all over the 70 is plain to see, as for snakes there are none but because of the lack of colour gradation it causes magenta colour errors in dark parts of the picture, this is what the reviews are referring too.

As for the black, sorry guys the Panasonic is better than the Pioneer but not by much, the overall picture on the Pioneer 507 is leaps and bounds ahead of the PX70.

Any one want to see I have Harry Potter GOF from Sky, and we can put the two side by side, there you will see the difference in black, the processing differences, and what happens when one set has magenta banding the other does not. Yo will also see the colour balance of both sets can be set identically ( actually the Pioneer to Panasonic, it is not possible to set the Panasonic to look like a well set up 507.

S17ELLY from you comments if I were you just try & hang out until you see Pioneers G8 sets. They maybe more expensive but Im a beliver in you get what you pay for.

My px 70 cost me &#163;850 for that its great, if was &#163;1300 ish I would not spend that on one of these. If I wanted 42 at that money I would have purchased the PIO 4270XD.

Thanks ********

You'll remember me from the PX60 purple snakes thread :smashin:
As i said there, its thanks partly to your advice that i'm lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to exchange the PX60 at JL.
They've offered me a straight swap for a 42PX70 but there's no way i'm going down that route, fizzing pixels, soft PQ and magenta colouring are still plaguing me on the 60 post 3 D Board upgrades...:mad: if any of that still exists on the 70 i'm simply not interested. It'll be costing me an extra &#163;800 to go for the 507 but i think i'm doing the right thing in "upgrading" (;) )
I would wait for the G8's but i'm not sure JL will, that's the problem :rolleyes:
Having compared the 507 and 427 in a few retailers i just couldn't see the "mesh" effect or "dirty screen" on the 507 but it was completely obvious on the 427's in the stores. That coupled with the fact i haven't read a bad report of the 507 on here (and people like you who seem to know a thing or 2 have the 507 +:smashin: ) has me thinking this is the perfect time to do this.

I'm really going for it as well............... out is going the silver Alphason AG94 and in is coming an "Artisan" K1 false chimney breast complete with Verine fire under.
Should look amazing when completed and if there's a few pennies left.... this screen might just be worth an isf?

Might have a few 507 related questions in the near future, i'm not very good with all things AV, can i call on you for advice?

S17ELLY

Im really happy with my 507 apart from black but no flat panel does black, a well setup 507 is about the best value right now if you cant wait for the Pio 8.

Dont waste your money on ISF PM me when you have it, I can give you 2 lots of settings to try. The other thing is this run in lark, all 3 of my plasmas have just been set from day 1 "correctly" and I have no retention what so ever on any of them.

S17ELLY

Im really happy with my 507 apart from black but no flat panel does black, a well setup 507 is about the best value right now if you cant wait for the Pio 8.

Dont waste your money on ISF PM me when you have it, I can give you 2 lots of settings to try. The other thing is this run in lark, all 3 of my plasmas have just been set from day 1 "correctly" and I have no retention what so ever on any of them.

Thanks ******** you're a star :clap:

Just to say that the one picture "quirk" that still winds me up on my Pio 435(don't know if they've fixed it in the later models) is the "ghosting" of horizontal lines across the screen. You see it clearly if you look at a Sky tv guide menu - the boxes are situated part way across the screen but if you look you'll see that the horizontal lines continue across both sides of the picture albeit very faintly. Happened on the 434 model as well as I recall. Can be irritating if they do a close up of someones face and there's a horizontal line in the background and it then appears (faintly) across the face.

Also, again I don't know if this is happening with the later models, but I get lots of sound drop outs on HDMI through my PS3 and LG dvd player (sing different leads). Seems this has happened to others on Pio screens looking at some other forums. Don't know if it's connected to the HDMI problem they had with Sky HD.

Just to say that the one picture "quirk" that still winds me up on my Pio 435(don't know if they've fixed it in the later models) is the "ghosting" of horizontal lines across the screen. You see it clearly if you look at a Sky tv guide menu - the boxes are situated part way across the screen but if you look you'll see that the horizontal lines continue across both sides of the picture albeit very faintly. Happened on the 434 model as well as I recall. Can be irritating if they do a close up of someones face and there's a horizontal line in the background and it then appears (faintly) across the face.

Nearly all tvs do this

Just to pitch in as a happy Pioneer 507XD owner. I have had my set for about 6 months now and it has been faultless.

I ran it in using some picture settings I got off the FAQ section of this forum for just over 200 hours and then reset it using some more settings I got off here and a bit of tweaking to please my eye and the result is fantastic.

PQ on all HD sources - just great. With SD the better sources such as BBC look almost HD and even some of the ropey signals such as ITV and some of the minor digital stations are fine. I watch a lot of sport - not a hint of motion blur or noise.

I watch from about 8ft to about 12ft depending which seat I am in - 10 to 12 ft is better for SD - HD is great from any seat.

The panel has also been totally silent, not a bizz or squeak from it. The only noise we do hear is from the Sky HD box hard drive pinging away.

Looks are a matter of taste but the Pioneer looks fantastic on or off. It is also very well built and to me when I was choosing just looked a more quality item than the Panasonic's I looked at.

Can't comment on the sound from it as I did not get the speakers and use a separate Yamaha set up for sound.

Depending on your budget you might want to wait 2 or 3 months and see what the new 8th gen Pioneers are like ands you might also see some more price drops on the 507 when the new panels come out.

Summary - I am delighted with my choice of a Pioneer 507 and would have no hesitation recommending it.

The other thing is this run in lark, all 3 of my plasmas have just been set from day 1 "correctly" and I have no retention what so ever on any of them.

:smashin:

Nearly all tvs do this

Perhaps it's more noticeable on mine? - I had a panny 6 series that didn't do it, a early sony lcd that didn't do it and my mate's toshiba doesn't do it. I've seen a few other screens when I'm wandering around and it's never struck me as being obvious on any of them. I seem to remember there being a thread about it here when the 434 first came out. I just assumed it was a Pio problem

Perhaps it's more noticeable on mine? - I had a panny 6 series that didn't do it, a early sony lcd that didn't do it and my mate's toshiba doesn't do it. I've seen a few other screens when I'm wandering around and it's never struck me as being obvious on any of them. I seem to remember there being a thread about it here when the 434 first came out. I just assumed it was a Pio problem

All three of mine do it not badly.

Interesting you've got it on a panny. Haven't seen one of these models yet but I'll have a look when I'm next on my travels.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom