Pioneer Plasmas and HDTV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dvdsubtitles, Aug 13, 2004.

1. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase a PDP-504HDE, the 50" pioneer plasma. Just can't stop staring at them in the shops, so decided I might as well stare at one at home.

Slightly confused though. Is this screen HDTV-compatible? I've been reading that HDTV will start appearing within the next few years. According to the blurb, this screen has a 1240x768 resolution. This should make it HDTV-ready.

However, I've just read in a magazine that the 5th generation is coming out soon - the PDP-505, and the article was implying that this new screen was HDTV compatible, where the older one wasn't. Can anyone clarify whether the 504 is HDTV compatible, and if so whats the difference between the 504 and the new 505?

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
    Mat.

2. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    The 504 is the minimum spec for HDTV 1240x768. Also check out the newest copy of essentail home cinema they have an article oin there. So in a word yes it is HDTV ready. The 434 is asswell but will have to downscale to 720???? I think where the 504 can handle 1080i. Check out this review for more info. Get it or wait for the new one or get both :D
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4274

3. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both the 434 and 504 have to scale up or down (depending on input) as both screens have native 768 horizontal lines resolution

4. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very convincing article! thanks :)

Mat

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    Convincing?

It looked to me like they said the 504HDE was 1024x768...it's not.

1280x768 is what the 504 is. 434 is 1024x768.

HD is likely to be 1920x1080i or 1280x720P in this country. So both plasma's will be doing up and downscaling. The newer 5th gen Pioneers don't have any greater pixel count than current ones.

Gordon

6. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I hadn't noticed that. Seems like a simple typo. Theres a lot of articles in the mags about pioneers being HDTV ready, especially the 504. I think one of the differences between the new and old is that the new media box has a digital tuner built in.

Nevertheless I'm now fairly convinced the 504 is a safe HDTV compatible buy.

Cheers,
    Mat

7. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I said 1240x768 simple typo and I said minumum spec for HDTV so yes I would say it was pretty convincing.

8. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am certainly no expert on plasma TVs so I can't comment on how accurate the article is. I would however have to agree with Gordon that it is very poor that an article prints inaccurate specifications, typo or not. Some people would not know to consult other individuals on a site like this.

You are right to ask opinions on this site dvdsubtitles because there is a lot of experts who can answer you questions. You should also do a search on this site for previous articles on this TV as they might prove very useful.

Cheers

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Matt

Just to prove how much tosh some of these magazines witter on about all Pioneer Displays since 1998 (bar the 4:3 640x480 V401 and V402) have been as near HDTV ready as the manufacturers can currently get them.

Pioneer have always had 1024x768 on all 43" 16:9 models and 1280x768 on all 50" 16:9 models.

HDTV is not one fixed standard - rather its a group of Standards and like SDTV and EDTV you'll see plenty of HD 'flavours' over the coming years. See http://www.atsc.org/

The replacement models for the current 04HDE's will be available with a choice of Media Box - inc Analogue tuner or inc Digital Terrestrial tuner.

Best regards

Joe

10. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise this now :) Thanks to everybody for their valuable comments and advice.

Cheers,
    Mat

11. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High Definition is only 720P and 1080i. Everything below that is just SDTV or EDTV.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Abit

What you don't want 1080P :)

Joe