1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer plasma stands and Empire Direct

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by carsurvey, Jun 3, 2003.

1. carsurvey

carsurvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I took advantage of the recent Empire Direct offer to order a Pioneer 433MXE and stand. The stand has already arrived and the Plasma is supposed to appear on Wednesday.

Unfortunately I've realised that the stand they recommended is the PDKTS03, which appears to be for the HDE screens only. They list the PDKTS01 (the stand recommended on the Pioneer website), which they describe as being for the 503HDE, rather than the MXE screens. I've spoken to them and they are going to swap the PDKTS03 I now have for a PDKTS01. I suggested that they check the information in their database, but my request didn't seem to register with them.

Just wanted to suggest that people waiting for Pioneers from Empire Direct should check their orders in case they have the wrong stand on the way.

Best Wishes,
    Steven

2. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll bear that one in mind if I end up buying the stand, thanks !

Initially I'm going to use the feet provided, hopefully after having it live on a unit for a week or two the missus will see the light and let me hang it on the wall !

Out of interest, when did you order yours ? - I'm not getting delivery until next week (hopefully !)

3. carsurvey

carsurvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Suspect I'm going to have to try the feet for a few days till they sort out the exchange. I'm putting mine on a glass AV stand, so I want it to be as stable as possible.

I ordered mine on the Sunday lunchtime as part of that 10% off weekend. They said they had one, then they said the only one left had no PDA5002 card, which I wasn't going to accept, then they gave me a date of Wednesday and said it should have the card. Fingers crossed that it will arrive complete.

4. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one - let me know how you get on with the feet !

5. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm using my 433 on the supplied feet and it fine. There are two positions they can be mounted, far apart or slighly closer together. They are bolted to the panel chassis with 8mm allan bolts and they can be bolted down to a surface behind the panel.

Mine is free standing and not bolted down and it stable enough - depends if you have pets that like to jump around or small children, you don't want it tipping over although I think it'll take quite a push with the depth of support the feet provide - they're about 11 1/2" front to back, 5" of that at the front!.

...I know where I'd prefer put my £150 quid !

6. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    75 pints of Stella ?

7. carsurvey

carsurvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The 433MXE has arrived, and the PDKTS03 stand looks like it is going to fit, but there is no PDA-5002 card. So no hope of doing anything useful with my newly arrived JS RGB to Component converter.

Empire Direct called me a few days after I ordered and asked if I'd mind having their last 433MXE, which had no PDA-5002. I wasn't in a hurry for the plasma, and I explained that I did require the card. The person who called said he'd speak to his team leader and get back to me. I would have been quite happy to wait for new stock to come in.

When I got no reply, I called up and was assured that all the standard parts would be included, although they didn't seem to really follow what I was talking about.

So now it's arrived and I've got a useless plasma display sitting boxed in my dining room, no TV to use in the living room, and I'm not a happy camper. I'm planning to be straight on the phone to them tomorrow asking to speak to a manager. I hope they can resolve this quickly, but I'm not holding out much hope.

8. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dandan4274

You clearly don't live in London........:zonked: :zonked:

9. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do, I do !!!

but dividing by two is so much easier than 2.50, or 2.80 !!

eee, I remember the old days when everyone went up in arms when a pint crossed the 2 quid mark !!

Mind you, good old JD Wetherspoons are still quite reasonable !

10. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ED have given me an approx delivery date of the end of the month for my Pioneer 433 MXE. Anyone else still waiting or am I just at the end of their list ?

Lawrence

11. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can have mine - I cancelled my order !!

They took the money a couple of weeks ago (from my credit card), then the delivery date started to slip and slip. A little birdie told me that it would be 'at least' the end of the month if they were lucky as Pio were none best pleased with ED for offering them so cheap.

So I cancelled the order without any fuss, as I already had a slightly bad feeling about it.

So, anyone who did order theirs on the 10% off weekend - unless you get it after this Friday (when mine is hopefully turning up), don't tell me about it as I'll be sick as a parrot then !

12. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are you getting yours from now then as I might cancel as well?

I sent Joe a private message last week to see what he could offer it at but he hasn't read it yet.

Lawrence

13. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe is mega busy at the moment, and should be able to source next week for you.

I think AV-Sales have got one in

14. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't see why Pioneer should be upset with ED selling them at a loss, panels or stands.

It's not as if Pioneer are loosing money over this. Anyway, isn't RRP'ing illegal now, so if a retailer wants to loose money, then it's up to them - it's called a competitive market, not a fixed one.

And I think £150 is still too much for a piece of plastic with some steel uprights.

I think the feet that come with the panel are just fine, and better if you bolt them down to the surface they're sitting on (holes are provided) - how often do you need to even touch the panel.

Also, I don't see how the stand can offer much more support than the feet. The depth of it doesn't look much more than the feet anyway. (Feet are just under 12", anyone know the depth of the desk-top stand - does it provide more stability ?).

The only benifit as far as I can see and it was mentioned on the forum already, is that if you have v.chunky cables, they may not bend enough to hide from being seen under the panel or clear the surface the panel is sitting on - I've had none these problems using one Belkin Pro series VGA cable, power (kettle style) and component (PS2 cheap cable) they all are hidden using the cable ties and clips provided.

If the bundled feet didn't do their job and the unit fell over or was damaged due to using them, then take Pioneer to task with the Trading Standards as "they're not fit for their purpose".

...anyway, looks like ED are making their money back on the Pio 433MXEV losses, as they're now £300 more than they were on the 10% off Monday on the 12th May. They started off at £3420 - 10% = £3080 + del. £79 = £3160). Now they're £3730 + del £70 = £3800.

So for those lucky peeps, nice saving !!! :D

15. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Before taking Mr Andersons advice re relying on the supplied feet read what Pioneer say in their literatue. I would not rely on the feet being sufficent alone unless the supplier or the manufacturer recommended their use.

As they make desk stands it implies they are not sufficent alone. Also note most Trading Standard Departments do nothing beyond advice on civil claims. Taking a risk with over £3k of plasma is not something to do lightly.

16. carsurvey

carsurvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just a quick update on my situation:

I'm still waiting for Empire Direct to come up with my PDA-5002 card, so I still have a useless 433MXE sitting in my Dining Room. Watching movies on a 25 inch 4:3 Sony is a poor substitute.

I was assured by Empire Direct that the PDKTS03 stand would work. Having measured the screen and the stand, it looks like that may be true. Empire Direct told me that the PDKTS01 has been discontinued by Pioneer, but lots of other people still seem to be selling it....

I much prefer the security of the larger stand as opposed to the feet. I've just measured the depth of the feet and the stand:

Feet: 12"
    Stand: 14"

Not much difference, but the feet weigh nothing and attach to the bottom of the screen, whereas the stand is pretty heavy (10Kg) and the screen attaches in four places at the back.

17. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    But the feet are "manufacturer recommended" as they are supplied by the "manufacturer".

How can a manufacturer sell something and dont recommend using it for it purpose. You wouldn't get a parachute manufacturer selling you a parachute and recommend not using it would you ? :confused:

What they are talking about are 3rd party manufactured feet or stands. You would need to check with the retailer and Pioneer to get their word of approval.