1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer plasma size dilemma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rags, May 16, 2004.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Why does this always happen to me for Petes sake !!!!!!

I ordered a Pioneer 504HDE last week from a bricks and Mortar shop for £5,200 including the speakers, Pioneer wall mount and installation. I then get a call today from the another bricks an mortar dealer offering me the Pioneer 43" for £3850 (inc speakers and the wall mount but not installation). I thought it was a good price but given I had already ordered the 50" I kind of semi ignored it.

Now the nightmare begins - walked into Costco early afternoon and we bump into a 43 inch HDE model - both wifey and me have a good look at it and think it looks big enough from our approximate viewing distance in the family room. Shes now insisting that I get the 43 inch as the kids watch to much TV as it is and we are all gonna need glasses after about 6 months !! I give up - she suggested the 50" in the first place when we saw it in JLewis !!!!!

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd do a search and you'll find the general consensus of the forum appears to be the bigger the better!!

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Yeah I know.

Please ignore this thread as I wear the pants in the house.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags
    50" is the way to go, it'll match the Parasound nicely :devil:

John

5. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    :censored:

You only live once go for the 50 as the misses will enjoy the xtra 7"

:censored:

6. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't look so big when it's hanging on your wall, and you will not regret getting the larger size. :thumbsup:

And it's a good price including speakers & mount etc. :smashin:

and it looks sooo :cool:

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Even I got a bit confused for a minute - I have now told the wife its the 504HDE model or we stick to our 20 inch Toshiba that we have temporarily transferred from the bedroom. TBH shes ok about it but just thought a 50" would be OTT.

The price is pretty good and it also includes a 2 year warranty instead of the usual one year only job.

8. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always wanted a 50" plasma.

Unfortunately after viewing several in various different stores I've found Sky and regular terrestial tv to be a bit fuzzy, grainy and generally quite pixelated. DVD has always been fine but seeings as 90% of my viewing is Sky and not films I was dissapointed :eek:(.

However, I watched a new Hitachi 55PMA550E 55" in nexnix last weekend and that was very good. Bit too 'rich' for me at nearly £6k tho (£5751.63)

9. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    When you get the 50 delivered, you may even yourself think it is ott. The wife definitely will, but 2 days later you will be happy you got it if you are like me and everyday be amazed at picture size.

You may want to look at standard TV inputs/quality as this may be where you will be questioning the size.

TBH the issues I have with freeview and cable tv are mainly with contrasts rather than outright PQ and this is plasma technology and not the size.

10. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I went for the 50 Pioneer and have never regretted it-in fact I think I could go for a 60"-if there was one!! Sitting on a Saturday night watching a dvd on your mini cinema, with a drink in your hand-unbeatable!!!!!! enjoy :smashin: :smashin:

11. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi have just bought the 504HDE from John Lewis on a price match from hiwayhifi total for the 504HDE, speakers, stand and delivery was £5320.00 a saving of £675 over the JL list price, am happy with the price and the additional benefit of the 5 year warranty JL offer. I am sure that some have had problems with the warranty but if you play hard with JL they always do their best to put the customer first. Just cant wait for delivery and then its decision time with regards to a new player thinking of a Pio hdmi player to replace an ageing Pio 737A.

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well said taht man :thumbsup:

13. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of my bug bears with the 50inchers I've seen has been that close up shots of peoples faces look a bit like oil-paintings or paint by numbers. Skin tones don't seem to be graduated.

Is this a problem you guys encounter or one that doesn't really bother you?

Are you using any form of scaler or merely the tv with sky?

Thanks

Keith

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Got my screen today - well and truly happy. Still waiting for my HDMI player but even Sky looks pretty good - maybe Im not as picky as you guys out there ! Perhaps I was expecting it to be absolutely diabolical and as a result my expectations were already set to a very low level.

One slight problem though - why does it take the plasma ages to change the channels ? It's winding me up.

15. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Annoying isn't it? :D
    You'll get used to it.

What did you go for in the end? Did you get the full man size version?

16. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We just got a 50, and I have no regrets. I knew in my heart, that once the 60s became more prevelent over the next few months, I would feel bad that I got a 42. 50 is a great size, and a nice compromise.

17. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    really annoying - the thing is winding me up. i thought i had a dodgy unit.....

i went for the full monty in the end - 504hde :thumbsup: even though i was getting a stonking deal on the 434hde.

have turned the brightness etc down but according to the installers you dont have to worry about it :suicide:

18. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I'd recommend setting up each input using AVIA, DVE, THX Optimiser or whatever it is you normally use.
    I was surprised at how much adjustment was required for each input (HDMI, AV1, etc.)

19. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    definately will but not bothering at the moment as currently viewing dvd through rgb - its a 3-4 week wait for my hdmi player.....

for the moment have turned the contrast down to 20, the brightness to -3 and the colour to -9 to run it in - are these settings reasonable during the first 100 or so hours :confused:

looking at the 50 inch would definately have regretted buying the 43 inch - in fact now i want a 60 inch :laugh:

oh and the caps lock and shift keys on my laptop no longer work for some strange reason so apologies for the lack of capitals.

20. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    No prob's.
    Feel free to use some of these: KDNEJSBYWGFAXZ :rotfl:

FWIW, I have the following settings for Sky+ via scart on AV1:
    Contrast 40
    Brightness +7
    Colour -6
    Tint 0
    Sharpness -1

21. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After the second beer, even football on sky looks good on a 50 inch Panny/Pio/Fuji/Hitach or whatever! :D :clap: :thumbsup: :cool: :smashin:

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Have watched a few things on the plasma now and am still very happy. Return of the King looked great with superb detail levels even when using the RGB out of my temporary £100 Toshiba dvd player. Not sure what all the Pioneer black level fuss is about - looked excellent to me + ROTK is a pretty dark film. A good friend of mine watched the first hour of the film with me and reckoned it looked significantly better than it did on his Panny PW6 which kind of surprised me a bit given my RGB source and the fact that he uses a Denon 2900 via component. He looked a bit shocked as well and spent half an hour playing around with the picture settings !

I really like the fact that you can have different settings for each input - very useful indeed. The menu system is well thought out. The unit looks like the bees knees on my wall - even the missus likes it.

I can live with the Sky quality (on a number of channels its actually pretty good) but normal TV is :thumbsdow

23. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, i wish i could afford the 50".....can i askl how much was the 434 at costco?

24. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after all my trepidation regarding the 50 inchers. I bit the bullet and bought the panny 50". Fair play, its fan-f*****g-tastic! Absolutely brilliant. Head and shoulders above the Pioneer. :clap:

25. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The 434 was £3999 at Costco with desktop stand and speakers. The best I could get elsewhere from a bricks and mortar dealer in London was £3795 including Pioneer wallmount, speakers and a 2 year warranty (it comes with only a 1 year warranty as standard).

26. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    In your opinion... ;)

27. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AGREED, Brogan!

B. :hiya:

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    To my eyes the picture on the Panasonic didnt look as good as the Pioneer. Each to their own I suppose.

29. mstodge

mstodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was lucky enough to view both the panny PW6 and the pioneer 434HDE side by side at my local Dixons superstore. and have to say that the pioneer kicked the panny's A@?!
    So i bought one there and then. Got delivered a few weeks later and just blew me away. My mate and brother came round to watch ENGLAND-ICELAND and were blown away too, so much so that they have orderd the same TV (copycats)

Cheers.

30. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    If you drew that comparison in Dixons it's meaningless (imho). I compared the 2 and thought there wasn't much in it - prefered blacks on the panasonic (by a margin) but I must admit the Pio picture did seem more detailed. That said, neither displays were properly calibrated (though they were fed with good signals).